HL GROUP PARTNERS

CEO

Great place to grow

Former Employee - Managing Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HL GROUP PARTNERS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was part of HL Group for more than seven year, and went from Assistant to one of the partners to Managing Director, and had the opportunity to work in both the New York and Los Angeles office.
    -They were very supportive of my move from New York to Los Angeles, making the transition seamless for me and for the clients that I worked with.
    -The firm is top heavy, which means, you have a lot of opportunities to grow and learn directly from experts in their field. The work load is intense, but if you want to learn about PR and be surrounded by the best team, this is the place to be.

Cons

I started at HL Group when the company was still approximately 20 people and have really seen the growth of the company. The one thing that I do think could be better is in improving company culture. The firm has grown really quickly in the last five years, and with that, it has become segmented, leaving company culture behind.

Look after junior staff to avoid burnout.

One of the best places to learn about PR and communications…..

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at HL GROUP PARTNERS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great people with a big collaborative spirit across the agency
     - great accounts to work on
     - team leaders like when you take initiative and welcome creative ideas and thoughts
     - ability to learn a lot from upper management and the Partners

Cons

- sometimes it would be nice to have some more space in the office. It can be hard sometimes because there are areas where people sit really close to each other.
     - I wish there were interns all year round

- Office upgrades would be good to have.
       - Would have liked more opportunities to interact with both founding partners and learn more from them.

Not much room for growth

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at HL GROUP PARTNERS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The owners are well known due to their background working with very notable brands and the agency is known for its participation during New York Fashion Week. The Vice President of HR is great and very considerate.

Cons

No work life balance. No office culture. Salaries are very well below average. They work their mid to lower level employees to the core and it is often difficult to advance. Revolving door

Value and help your employees grow. Remember that they are still learning, and that as a good manager you should also be a teacher

Fast paced, well located, top clients

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I have been working at HL GROUP PARTNERS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working here for three years. Have learned a great deal and feel like I could succeed anywhere. Have done traditional and digital press relations, created successful campaigns from start to finish, hosted events, worked with a wide range of social media pros, you name it. The founders are well-connected and engaged, and we have a strong list of well-known clients. Also, Summer Fridays are honored here - life winds down at 1:30 on Friday.

Cons

The pace is certainly fast, life flies by. Management has high expectations for sure. But not a con per se; I've worked at slower-paced, more collegial firms in New York and you don't get as much experience and don't work with this level of client.

Keep developing younger talent - the younger, up-and-coming people in our group are terrific and make success possible at all levels.

FABULOUS

I worked at HL GROUP PARTNERS as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people, great location and amazing coffee

Cons

If you are not willing to work hard, probably not a good fit

Intern's Experience

I have been working at HL GROUP PARTNERS

Pros

-Work alongside VPs
    -Work available with fashion brands if you are interested
    -Office manager is very friendly and helpful

Cons

-VPs have a tendency to shoot down ideas FAST
    -Work environment can be hostile at times
    -You better have thick skin if you decide to apply for a position higher than an intern
    -Low pay

Focus on improving work culture

Freelancer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at HL GROUP PARTNERS as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was lucky enough to work under the friendliest account coordinator in the company. My colleagues, not so lucky.

Cons

This place is like a sorority house. High turnover rate, people are not friendly, tasks that are given were never explained thoroughly... And god forbid you ask an account coordinator a question.

Good luck.

I Almost Lost My Mind, Please Just Say No

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HL GROUP PARTNERS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People who believe what they are saying and say it so often that you believe it too - yes we all believe the owners are beautiful and wealthy as that is all we hear

Cons

The work is so minimal it is an embarrassment to the industry - media relations like its 1950 and still out reaching to mommy bloggers and now paying them

Look in the mirror - yes the one you have in your office that talks - you two are not the fondest of th all - your both are Dorian Gray with a mirror from 1000 years ago

Needs to boost morale

I have been working at HL GROUP PARTNERS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some decent clients, nice location in city.

Cons

Little interaction between senior management and rest of company. Performance reviews are not done on a timely basis. Executives seem to not to want to be involved in improving team management. Very little transparency. Overall, not an empowering place to work.

If compensation is going to be low, then invest in what will improve morale and make it a better place to work.

Avoid At All Costs

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HL GROUP PARTNERS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Absolutely None. Bad coffee that's free.

Cons

Talentless, unprincipled, spiteful, clueless, there are probably managers in exploitative, menial factories in 3rd world countries that have better management skills and care more about their employees.

This place an embarrassment in PR/Branding. All they talk about is pathetic blogger relationships. You will be overloaded with lousy projects with terrible timelines and management plus no support from the firm. Turnover is massive. The people who realize how terrible this place is leave as soon as possible. The lucky ones get sacked. The unlucky ones continue to toil away. Absolutely atrocious senior leadership with no idea how to cultivate employees or run a company. Turnover has been exceedingly high, with a few people leaving every month. Stay away, and do not believe the glossy exterior that will be portrayed to you in any interviews.

Realize that your employees are your best asset. Putting people down to make yourself feel important doesn't inspire great work. I am surprised that the company is still in business.