HL GROUP PARTNERS

HL GROUP PARTNERS Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Fast paced, well located, top clients

Senior Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI've been working here for three years. Have learned a great deal and feel like I could succeed anywhere. Have done traditional and digital press relations, created successful campaigns from start to finish, hosted events, worked with a wide range of social media pros, you name it. The founders are well-connected and engaged, and we have a strong list of well-known clients. Also, Summer Fridays are honored here - life winds down at 1:30 on Friday.

ConsThe pace is certainly fast, life flies by. Management has high expectations for sure. But not a con per se; I've worked at slower-paced, more collegial firms in New York and you don't get as much experience and don't work with this level of client.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep developing younger talent - the younger, up-and-coming people in our group are terrific and make success possible at all levels.

FABULOUS

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart people, great location and amazing coffee

ConsIf you are not willing to work hard, probably not a good fit

Intern's Experience

Pros-Work alongside VPs
    -Work available with fashion brands if you are interested
    -Office manager is very friendly and helpful

Cons-VPs have a tendency to shoot down ideas FAST
    -Work environment can be hostile at times
    -You better have thick skin if you decide to apply for a position higher than an intern
    -Low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on improving work culture

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Freelancer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI was lucky enough to work under the friendliest account coordinator in the company. My colleagues, not so lucky.

ConsThis place is like a sorority house. High turnover rate, people are not friendly, tasks that are given were never explained thoroughly... And god forbid you ask an account coordinator a question.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I Almost Lost My Mind, Please Just Say No

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople who believe what they are saying and say it so often that you believe it too - yes we all believe the owners are beautiful and wealthy as that is all we hear

ConsThe work is so minimal it is an embarrassment to the industry - media relations like its 1950 and still out reaching to mommy bloggers and now paying them

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in the mirror - yes the one you have in your office that talks - you two are not the fondest of th all - your both are Dorian Gray with a mirror from 1000 years ago

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Needs to boost morale

ProsSome decent clients, nice location in city.

ConsLittle interaction between senior management and rest of company. Performance reviews are not done on a timely basis. Executives seem to not to want to be involved in improving team management. Very little transparency. Overall, not an empowering place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf compensation is going to be low, then invest in what will improve morale and make it a better place to work.

Avoid At All Costs

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAbsolutely None. Bad coffee that's free.

ConsTalentless, unprincipled, spiteful, clueless, there are probably managers in exploitative, menial factories in 3rd world countries that have better management skills and care more about their employees.

This place an embarrassment in PR/Branding. All they talk about is pathetic blogger relationships. You will be overloaded with lousy projects with terrible timelines and management plus no support from the firm. Turnover is massive. The people who realize how terrible this place is leave as soon as possible. The lucky ones get sacked. The unlucky ones continue to toil away. Absolutely atrocious senior leadership with no idea how to cultivate employees or run a company. Turnover has been exceedingly high, with a few people leaving every month. Stay away, and do not believe the glossy exterior that will be portrayed to you in any interviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your employees are your best asset. Putting people down to make yourself feel important doesn't inspire great work. I am surprised that the company is still in business.

My internship at HL Group was an exciting peek into the public relation with a taste of event planning coordination.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pros of HL Group were the high profile accounts, exciting events, celebrities, brainstorming, market research and New clients.

ConsNegative media is the biggest con in public relations.

Bad internship

Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey have some top accounts and you get to attend fashion week.

ConsFrom the moment I began, I noticed a very high turnover rate...this definitely had me curious. Bottom line: it is not an enjoyable work environment nor a LEARNING experience. When you arent doing highly administrative tasks you are in the closet dealing with a mess. If only their clients saw how garments are treated. People are very snobby, a lot of their coordinators are completely incompetant and you will see many burst into tears on the job...yikes.

Advice to Senior ManagementBE NICE to your interns. We are people too.

Intern Experience

PR Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe accounts they have are top-notch names in the fashion business. Flexible work schedule. Semi-casual work environment. You get to go the Fashion Week. Some of the people here are really nice. They buy cupcakes for the office like every other week. You observe (notice my choice of word) the basics such as how PR interacts with the media and how they secure placements.

ConsYou never really get PR experience such as writing a press release or the like. Even if it never saw the day of light, it would be appreciated if someone saw it and gave pointers.

Some senior level management won't even acknowledge your existence. Fair enough, I'm an intern but if someone says "Good Morning" to you in an elevator, I think it's common courtesy to reply or at least smile back. Am I wrong for thinking that?

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate workshops for interns. We don't just want to be expert shoe packers or wizards at organizing the fashion closet. If you taught us more and gave us more responsibility, we could take a considerable load off the account coordinators because God knows they could use a break once in a while.

Worked for HL GROUP PARTNERS? Contribute to the Community!