HM Electronics

Updated February 15, 2015
Updated February 15, 2015
2.8

Chuck Miyahira

Friendly company that made me feel welcomed me from day one!

I have been working at HM Electronics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

From the moment I interviewed at HME I could tell that it's a well-organized company that cares about their employees, it's clear that people enjoy working there. They take the time to make sure you understand what the company does and where you fit in. Part of my orientation process was going on a company tour where I had the opportunity to go through every department and a person from each department took the time to explain what they did and even show examples where they could. I also feel like they really encourage you to contribute your ideas and then recognize you for them. HME is a fun place to work! Almost every month since I started we’ve had some type of company event going on (Bake Sale, Charger Day, Summer BBQ, the list goes on). My co-workers are really nice and helpful and my supervisor is great too! My supervisor has shown an interest in my professional development and based on what I’ve seen in terms of employees moving up in the company, there is a lot of room for growth. Overall I would say that HME is the best company I’ve worked for!

Cons

I don’t think this is a bad thing, but we are very busy and in my position as well as many others it’s a fast-paced environment so that may not be for everyone.

A Negative, Bullying Company Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I worked at HM Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable work hours and decent initial compensation.

Cons

Bullying pervades throughout HME. Fostered at the top, you will find it at every level of the company and perhaps most significantly and destructively within lower-level management. Upper-level managers are so distanced that they are either unaware or simply ignoring the problem. While the behavior takes many forms, common threads include the inflation of small mistakes into monumental errors, the manufacturing of a “history” of errors by digging up past actions that were not an issue at the time, and the misrepresentation of events to make an individual look bad. The bullying is most often carried out behind closed doors providing deniability. Most everyone knows of a victim or was victimized at one time, but HR all too often protects the bully and retaliation is common. I was fortunate to leave on my own terms, but many are not. There are good people at HME and Clear-Com (HME’s daughter company that shares the Poway offices and some resources), even a few good managers, and I hope for their sake the culture improves. I cannot, however, recommend working at HME or Clear-Com. The hours and pay may be decent, but the negative environment quickly erodes the advantages. It is best to look elsewhere.

Reevaluate the management structure and encourage more interaction between regular employees and higher-level management. Provide employees with an anonymous hotline to report inappropriate behavior and take reports seriously. Consider that fearful, emotionally-abused employees are less inclined to go "above and beyond" which hurts your bottom-line.

Stuck in the past

I have been working at HM Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many intelligent, talented people, who have learned how to do their job without ruffling the non-progressive and hierarchical status quo of control and command Executives. Good at hiring good people, just needs to learn how to treat them once they are hired.

Cons

Not open to new ideas, actually thwarting open communication and rewarding deferential and submissive accordance with old ways of doing things. Although there are many employee related events, there is a culture of mistrust of change, new ideas and people.

Look at your resistance to change, lack of trust in your people, and how your militaristic leadership style affects innovation and culture.

Worked for nearly 4 years

I worked at HM Electronics

Pros

Average company with average opportunities. Not sure why it is ranked as one of the best places to work for though.

Cons

This place is run in a hierarchical format. You cannot speak directly with management. You can only go through your supervisor if you want to reach management or other departments. You cannot speak with other departments directly. There is a specific class structure in this company. All managers do make personal decisions or even have opinions. They are all yes-men/woman and carry out only what high level management decides is good. Top level managers are known as officers (gives you a sense of military structure) and you are treated as low level soldiers, in some cases no even greeting or looking at you in the hallways. You cannot use high level management's bathrooms because you are not good enough. Not a good place to work at overall.

Do away with entire upper management and find newer and better experienced people. The people at the top started when the Company started and are not necessarily the best people for the job.

The truth

Former Employee - Customer Service in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at HM Electronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good with the patients and customers.

Cons

They do not treat their employees well. I saw numerous people quit. The pay is so so.

Bullying Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I worked at HM Electronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A company who values their customers.

Cons

Several of the managers bully their employees. We are accused of making errors that never happened. If we DO make a mistake, even a very small one, it is a very big deal and we are scolded like children. There are ever changing rules that are not written down and that doesn't seem to be followed even by the manager. The only opinion is the manager's. There are some managers that are not like this, but many who are. You have to wonder if it might not be the corporate culture that is encouraging this.

Make it easier for employees to report their abusers to HR, such as adding an anonymous hotline. Learn how to spot abusive bosses. For example, I can often hear one manager right by my cube belittling employees. It shouldn't be tolerated. Take action to prevent bullying.

Nice people

Current Employee - Customer Support in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Poway, CA

I have been working at HM Electronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

HME Is a fun environment. Values employees. Seems to have fair management. Great training program. Nice environment. Very team oriented, no back biting. I didn't know about the product I'm supporting but the training team helped me understand it so I can troubleshoot it easily.

Cons

It's in Poway. I commute from downtown so I miss the traffic but it's a little far out. It seems a little formal at first but one of the nicest places I've worked at.

Great culture that values people and expertise

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I have been working at HM Electronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

HME is one of the least known, best companies in San Diego. HME values it's employees as evidenced by fantastic programs, bbq's, team outings (bowling, softball), and has a truly respectful, non-politically driven culture. This company values experience, leadership and service mentality, inside and out.

Cons

Can't think of any, outside of needing additional office space due to growth.