HM Treasury

Updated Jan 15, 2014

HM Treasury Chancellor George Osborne

George Osborne

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A pretty political workplace which offers fantastic opportunities which are quite unique.

Assistant Economist (Current Employee)

I have been working at HM Treasury full-time for more than a year

ProsWork life balance is fantastic and as well as the pension scheme. You also get opportunities that you will probably never find in the private sector, such as going to the House of Commons to help MPs with debates or to work in the private office of the Chancellor. You also get the opportunity to be a policy lead on a certain topic so you are given proper responsibilities from when you join which is brilliant.

ConsPay progression is poor, you will likely have to work for more than 4 years before moving to the next range (i.e. senior policy adviser). There can also be periods of time where there is little work to do and it can be a bit of a struggle if you do not have a project to get on with.

Advice to Senior ManagementStagger pay so progression is easier and it is something that draw people to HMT, rather than push them away.

Regrettable career move

Treasury Official (Current Employee)

I have been working at HM Treasury full-time for more than a year

ProsExposure to some very interesting and unique challenges, some very intellectual people, location.

ConsPoor work life balance for the junior officials who are actually doing the work. Too many managers who don't seem to do anything productive with their time, but happy to take credit for others work. Any sense of teamwork or collaboration is hard to find. Career progression is virtually non existent and remuneration is very poor compared to other departments.
Learning and development opportunities are a joke.
Politics!

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite claiming to listen and act upon staff survey results very little changes. To much talking up positive changes up when the reality is the impact is minimal.

Really interesting, diverse experience at HM Treasury - you really feel at the heart of central government

Student Economist (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at HM Treasury as an intern for more than a year

ProsHigh levels of responsibility - involved in one or more policy areas.
Feel sense of really being involved and making a difference to the formulation of policy in central government.
Very friendly and welcoming people, interested in you and what you want to get out of the job. Always available to help

ConsSome repetitive data work but not unexpected.
Peaks and troughs in workload sometimes left you very busy or with little to do.
Sometimes hard to pinpoint a significant achievement in a day given the fluctuating workload.

Great place to work, long hours

Student (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at HM Treasury as an intern for less than a year

ProsColleagues are excellent; opportunity to do interesting work with clear impact in a fairly small environment. You will be given responsibility early. Large management and senior executive relative to entry level employees means lots of contact and guidance from people with experience. Nice building.

ConsHours are atypical for the government as a whole. Pay the lowest of any Department (although you are being paid, even as a summer intern).

Advice to Senior ManagementTurnover still high; small staff total given mandate probably doesn't result in efficiency relative to better expenditure control. Pay could be rescaled in line with MoF practice in other OECD countries.

Great first job but the financial rewards arent great

Policy Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at HM Treasury full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHuge responsibility given at a very early stage in your career over nationally important issues. Rotating internally means you get a chance to work on a variety of policy areas and develop different skills. High calibre of staff.

ConsPay is poor relative to other Departments and it takes longer to get promoted. Longer hours than other Departments. Can be a quite chaotic environment as there isnt a culture of compliance or bureaucracy.

Excellent working environment

Assistant Economist (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at HM Treasury as an intern for more than a year

ProsHigh level engagement with senior colleagues. Friendly and stimulating working atmosphere. Flexible working is very helpful.

ConsPay isn't great but the flexibility and working environment do alleviate that

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing specific.

The power house of central government

EProcurement Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at HM Treasury as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsHM Treasury is a fascinating place to work

ConsComplex, political, difficult to make change happen

Interesting place to work. Could and should be so much better.

Policy Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at HM Treasury full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA lot of responsibility early on and this particularly shows when you work with other Government Departments.

Variety of jobs in many different policy areas.

Treasury sits at the heart of Government and if you like politics, come Budget time, it can be a very exciting place to be.

ConsPay. Management have been dancing around this for years but the simple fact is for the level of responsibility we have and the work we do, we are poorly paid. Of course this works in senior management's favour as work at Ranges D and E (just below Senior Civil Service) level is extremely competitive. But this has bred an environment where to prove how good you are, you have to show that someone else is rubbish and there is a great deal of sycophancy or 'game playing.' Normal, you may think but a key criticism of Treasury policy development in many quarters is that few are willing to challenge the orthodoxy - to get ahead you need to nod your head and agree with everything senior management says, even if you know they are wrong. The work we do (tax and spend) is too important to be left to the whims of the uber ambitious few.

There is a very much a 'Treasury type' and cliquishness in many Groups and teams. Bad luck if you don't fit in.

Lack of a world view. The demograph Treasury attracts (or chooses to select) means that you will time and time again come across individuals with no 'life experience' beyond a very comfortable upbringing and university. In many areas there is little appreciation for the real world impact of policies or a willingness to even try and understand. External stakeholders and other government departments criticise Treasury's lack of experience and understanding time and time again but there doesn't appear to be a willingness to address this.

Biannual appraisal process means there is a tendency among management to wait until appraisal time before letting you know that you did something wrong or there was/is a better way of doing it. Continuous feedback is much more useful.

Level of staff turnover is diabolical.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking in cliches. Yes Treasury is an interesting place to work but that doesn't mean we want to work for free.

Senior Civil Servants on £100k+ pa stop telling us we're all in this together. We know we're not so please don't insult our intelligence.

If you truly want staff to have a better work life balance - do something about it i.e. better resource teams. If not, stop encouraging something you know is unattainable in an environment like Treasury.

For "A" personalities who want the opportunitiy to make a difference, but beware limited real-world understanding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HM Treasury

ProsDynamic and constantly evolving atmosphere and work. Treasury has become a place for crisis management over the past few years and it does it very well. The calibre of the people is fantastic and the continuous drive for results brings out the best in people.

ConsUpward progression has become stymied because of the limited number of SCS roles and there is a certain 'Treasury type' who tend to attain those roles. SCS are all very similar personalities. Management takes a back seat to policy development and meeting the needs of Ministers. Strategically the Department lacks the sense of direction you can find elsewhere in Whitehall.

Interesting but shorter than expected

Vice President (Current Employee)
City of London, England (UK)

I have been working at HM Treasury

ProsOne in a lifetime opportunity to work in a project of such a scale

ConsBonus compared to Banks in the City is very low

Advice to Senior ManagementMore clarity upfront on length of the project would have been preferred

Worked for HM Treasury? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HM Treasury reviews and ratings in London, UK — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HM Treasury CEO George Osborne. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by HM Treasury employees.