HMA (Honda Manufacturing of Alabama)

www.hondaalabama.com

HMA (Honda Manufacturing of Alabama) Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

3.3

Nobuyuki Sanui

A great place to work

I have been working at HMA (Honda Manufacturing of Alabama) full-time

Pros

Keep your nose clean and don't catch any points. Full time hiring won't be too hard to get that way. Very good pay and retirement benefits.

Cons

The rotating shifts, but hey, I'm not going anywhere lol

Consider a review of your communication abilities. Nobody wants to find out three mins before clocking out, "Hey, we're working late." Not cool

A learning experience.

Current Employee - Assembly Worker  in  Lincoln, AL
    Current Employee - Assembly Worker in Lincoln, AL

I have been working at HMA (Honda Manufacturing of Alabama) full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a starting wage.

Cons

Repetitive work.
    No opportunities for vertical advancement.
    Low morale.
    Stressful.

Think resourcefully.

They never lay off employees?

Former Employee - Assembly Worker  in  Lincoln, AL
    Former Employee - Assembly Worker in Lincoln, AL

I worked at HMA (Honda Manufacturing of Alabama) as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good facility. Training is good. Quality product

Cons

The company says it had never done lay-offs for it's workers. That means HONDA employees, not the 100"s of Temp workers they bring in, pay 1/2 the wage, and discard at will. There are too many HONDA employees that simply don't do their jobs while the TEMP workers do the work for them.

Take a look at your HONDA employees and really evaluate if they are working or skating by. You have a great deal of TEMP workers that seriously need a job that aren't treated very well. Also, your ethnicity of workers doesn't match the geographic area and make up of the community. Lot's of favouritism on the assembly line. TEMP workers perform a lot of repetitive motion procedures while HONDA workers don't.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

pay is good

Current Employee - Process Associate  in  Lincoln, AL
    Current Employee - Process Associate in Lincoln, AL

I have been working at HMA (Honda Manufacturing of Alabama) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

pay...job security...never lay off full time employees

Cons

rotating shifts, long hours, work is hard

hey, they are tired too

good place to get experience

Current Employee - Engineering Associate
    Current Employee - Engineering Associate

I have been working at HMA (Honda Manufacturing of Alabama) full-time for more than a year

Pros

good benefits, job security, pay is not bad at all with over time pay.

Cons

Many non-professional behaviors. Depends on department and sub-group, work hours can be flexible or not. frequently making a new group and separating group. sometime function of the group is not well defined.

Hard work but just a number to management

I have been working at HMA (Honda Manufacturing of Alabama)

Pros

As a temp here for over a yr the pay is great considering you make more than other places in the state. Good skill building.

Cons

As a temp I feel like all management really cares about is numbers and not quality of the product. It hurts many of us (temps) who break our backs working and volunteering but then during the quarterly meetings you praise all the full-time with a bonus for all their hard work. We signed on with our temp agency understanding this but the way we get treated is destroying our morale. You say HMA is 60% temp and 40% full...my question is this...Why then is full-timers complaining about us. Most of them got hired on full-time when you opened and we work our butts off working all the volunteer overtime and getting no bonuses. To you full-timers on here. We get half your pay and it takes us 4 months to receive 8 hrs PTO. Quit crying about your little raises and $2,000.00 lump sum bonuses. I know there are many temps you and I see who are worthless to HMA but please know many our working and trying to get on full-time. Us temps have no say here because basicly it seems like everyone just thinks of us as a nobody. On my team where I work we take up money when a full-timer goes out on FMLA or when a death in their family has occured. They respect us temps and understand why we choose to volunteer the overtime when asked by our TM or TC.

Please try to treat and listen to full and temp associates better. Even though i really dont think you will im still giving you 110% of me. Also, is it true that you give $18,000.00 to Elwood Staffing for each temp you hire full-time? If so, I know now why we dont receive any bonus.

Loved working here.

Current Employee - Co Op  in  Lincoln, AL
    Current Employee - Co Op in Lincoln, AL

I have been working at HMA (Honda Manufacturing of Alabama) as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced field, producing great cars. Unlimited opportunities.

Cons

Difficult to move up in position.

Think outside the box more often.

A good place to start for an Engineer

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Birmingham, AL

Pros

One of the cheapest states to live in. Start at around 55k a year which is like making 75k in an expensive city. Plenty of opportunity for overtime. May not be doing what you went to school for but it's a great introduction to the automotive industry and makes you money while you gain experience

Cons

If you are not a high motor person you won't like it. You won't be hanging out a computer all day.

Stop promoting idiots just because they have been there for 10 years

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Technical Specialist
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist

I worked at HMA (Honda Manufacturing of Alabama) full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Japan culture is great to help develop young engineers

Cons

Salary was to low and raises were small.

Honda has a solid reputation. HMA on the other hand...

Current Employee - Engineering Specialist  in  Trussville, AL
    Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Trussville, AL

I have been working at HMA (Honda Manufacturing of Alabama) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Infinite job security (exempt employees)
    - Excellent benefits
    - Pension program (for those that have grandfathered into it)
    - Great 401k match (for 2014 and beyond)
    - Flex time (for exempt employees)
    - Up to 20 vacation days (on top of two weeks for plant shut downs and national holidays)
    - Strong name to have on your resume
    - Paid overtime (for Level 2 and below)
    - Reasonable bonus

Cons

- Not really challenging... just really busy
    - Low pay and minimal increases each year
    - Talks a lot about Honda Philosophy but actually looks down on those who actually try to put it into practice
    - Paperwork, Paperwork, Paperwork, Paperwork, Paperwork, Paperwork, Paperwork, Paperwork...
    - The longer you stay here, the less marketable you feel for other careers
    - Not really serious about quality, just meeting production schedules
    - Pushes the line associates too hard (how many 5x10's weeks have they worked in a row?)

Many others have already said what needs to be said. Take some time to actually read these comments and maybe you won't have this continued attrition. Unfortunately, we exempt associates have been told many times that we are only "support" and are not "value added" and it shows in the way you treat us. Our job is to make cars and nothing more, right? If you want our plant to continue to be ranked the lowest among Honda plants, keep doing what you are doing and pay no attention to what we are writing here.

Worked for HMA (Honda Manufacturing of Alabama)? Contribute to the Community!