HMEA Reviews

CEO

1. Program Coordinator

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Tewksbury, MA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Tewksbury, MA

I have been working at HMEA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am fully supported by my director and management staff to continue to persue higher learning opportunities. Company is fully committed and goes above and beyond to support those with disabilites. Management is very appreciative of all the hard work and effort employees put in and always make it a point to thank you for the hard work that you do. Flexibility is wonderful. Benefits are great.

Cons

Pay increases are minimal if any, but I am always appreciative of the honesty my supervisor gives me regarding the lack of funding from the state to support pay raises. If my raise were measured by the "thanks" and appreciation I do receive, I would be RICH. Money isn't everything.

2. Great-hearted people, disorganized on an individual level

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at HMEA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits and a good-hearted company. The hourly pay was alright but they were willing to negotiate during the hiring process and the vacation and sick time is fair. Great walk/run every year

Cons

The company is great, but the individual day habs & Redemption centers are disorganized. Many of the supervisors show intense favoritism and if you haven't been with the company for a very long time then it takes a while for them to warm up. Some of the staff have taken advantage of the Supervisor's flexibility, & you're not quite sure why some managers are in the positions they are.

Advice to Management

Don't make it so difficult for those excellent employees to get promoted & try to keep a closer eye on your individual centers

3. Home First Case Manager

Former Employee - Home First Case Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Home First Case Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Working to make things better for people who need a lot of support is meaningful.

Cons

Organization has great PR but the reality inside is a bit different.

5. Residential Counselor/Support Staff

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Attleboro, MA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Attleboro, MA

I worked at HMEA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A company I truly enjoyed working for for over 7 years, great core values Lots of paid time off! Excellent flexibility with schedule, I worked 24 hours a week when I was in nursing school and full time after I graduated while I was looking for a job as an RN and my house manager was nothing but supportive. It was very rewarding providing care to individuals with developmental disabilities.

Cons

One bad experience when my mother passing away a young age and upper management was less than sympathetic, forced me to take a day out of school to attend an inservice about colds, was very unsympathetic and cold about the whole situation, told me I would be fired if I did not attend, I had to get permission from my school and almost had to drop the class for missing a nursing clinical, when I really could have used that exception when my mom passed away. I still get upset thinking about this.

Advice to Management

House Manager was exceptional Admin needs to be more compassionate especially working in this field, some people are more business minded and employees suffer, but they put the people they support above anything and this is a value I support.

Support Specialist

Current Employee - Direct Care Professional in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Direct Care Professional in Worcester, MA

I have been working at HMEA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rewarding job. Making a difference in the lives of people with disabilities. Being able to share in their goals and accomplisments.

Cons

OK pay, lack of recognition for staff.

7. Excellent for students

Current Employee - Overnight Support Staff
    Current Employee - Overnight Support Staff

I have been working at HMEA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good for students, pay is good compared to whatever else that requires the skill of having a driver's licence and be 18+. Really good benefits for full time, many opportunities for overtime hours too.

Cons

Good for students, horrible for a career path. I don't know how people feed their children with that pay and there's little to no room for moving up the ladder.

Advice to Management

make pay for full-time employees at least above poverty level

Nurse coordinator

Current Employee - Nurse in Grafton, MA
    Current Employee - Nurse in Grafton, MA

I have been working at HMEA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Without a doubt the BEST management team I've had the privilege to work for.

Cons

Hourly pay is on the low side

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing stay as you are.

Lots of great people, but a lot of drama and craziness too.

Current Employee - Direct Care in Franklin, MA
    Current Employee - Direct Care in Franklin, MA

I have been working at HMEA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees who have been with the company for years are extremely encouraging and helpful. They offer tuition reimbursement and the benefits are okay.

Cons

The staff are often lazy and only care about a paycheck (not sure why, the pay is squat considering). Oh yea, the pay is not great and because the job has such a high rollover, you're constantly putting in overtime.

Advice to Management

Know how to work a computer and be assertive but also empathetic with your staff. Your staff that sticks around cares about the folks and it'd be nice to receive a little acknowledgment once in a while.

Most direct care staff I worked with were lazy and uncaring and management seldom looked into complaints.

Former Employee - Support Staff in Franklin, MA
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Franklin, MA

Pros

If working with challenged people is your gift, then you may enjoy working for this company.

Cons

Working with and having to tolerate lazy people.

Advice to Management

Take time to know your staff. Make monthly unexpected visits on ALL shifts. Listen to and look into ALL complaints.

RSS Feed </> Embed