HMS Holdings

Be The First To
Add Photos

HMS Holdings President & CEO Bill Lucia

Bill Lucia

Pros:
  • "Great coworkers and good work-life balance"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great people with openness to discuss the organization and its needs"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Also leave aside any notion of maintaining work-life balance or pray that you are not asked to work overtime"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Too many mid-level managers have no people skills and manage by fear/intimidation"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Worse job I have ever had

Caseworker (Former Employee)

I worked at HMS Holdings full-time

ProsMost of my co-workers were great

ConsThe management was horrible. People in charge only hired their friends for team leads. Pay was horrible, no chance of getting any better. They treated you like you were 5 years old. Not allowed out of your seat, and if you did other than a break or lunch, you were penalized. Not allowed to really do your job right. Turned more into a call center instead of working cases.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the management before the whole company gets worse.

Should be on the worst list company to work for

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at HMS Holdings full-time

ProsPTO if you have been there long enough'
800 lb gorilla on the block for healthcare recoveries.

ConsInternal processes is in constant change.
Cannot trust senior management in any communication they provide.
CEO Bill Lucia has lost the rudder of this ship - he has no vision.
Lack of cross department engagement due to silo/pigeon holing of functions.
Benefits get more expensive each year and higher employee deductables/co-insurance before it kicks in.
Too many mid-level managers have no people skills and manage by fear/intimidation. As mentioned by others, you may not hear from your boss for weeks on end.
CIO does not communicate IT direction to IT staff. No integration of the various systems. She appears to enjoy the accolades of being written up in various industry articles.
Staff are considered replaceable; high turnover; no training.
Some clients have an adversarial relationship with client facing staff. Client would dump HMS is there was an alternative.
Sends out employee engagement surveys but doesn't act or respond to trends found.
Compensation is below average; one gets a COLA adjustment each year; no incentive salary increase. Any stock options that are awarded go to director and above. Sr Management is exercising their stock options and selling consistently each month.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace CEO Bill Lucia and bring in someone with a vision. Replace the board of directors.
The firm is too much into fads - the latest is metrics. What are you measuring against?
Treat people with respect and offer incentives.
Stop being so secretive on the company strategy.
Act like this is a real company and get rid of the fiefdoms within the company.
Develop and encourage of a culture of working together not an environment of fear.

Terrible Mid-Level Management Meets Business with Strong Growth Potential

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at HMS Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Health care industry has and will continue to see growth and is mostly immune from economic downturns.
- Top level management at HMS Holdings remains visionary.
- The company has been on a fast track growth path for a few years. But, perhaps a bit too fast.

Cons- The mid-level management is as bad as it gets. Micro-managing without personal accountability, poor management practices and looking for solutions via pointing fingers should be key areas of concern to anybody.
- Various organizations operate in black-box mode even when interfacing, leading to a dysfunctional set up.
- New ideas are often implemented, not with a sense of improving efficiency, but to replace technologies for the sake of doing so. Over time, this has led to multiple paths towards same goals, that has increased complexity.
- The concept of team appears to have a whole different meaning. Employees tend to be overly competitive with their peers, at all levels and this is definitely true in the group I belonged. And the attitude usually gets rewarded.
- Employee appreciation? Forget it. Also leave aside any notion of maintaining work-life balance or pray that you are not asked to work overtime. And if you do end up working overtime, don't expect any appreciation. Chances are, regardless of your efforts, you may actually end up on the wrong side. I did.
- In my personal experience, and having observed some other managers, sometimes it almost appears that the management has some axe to grind and don't expect their explanations either.
- And given all that, is it any surprise that HMS Holdings may also be a leader in exceptionally high employee turnover? I have worked at eight different companies and based on my experience, HMS would definitely rank at the bottom.
-Regarding growth, I think the top management did get carried away in its projections for next several years. The goals were missed in the first year, and I will be very surprised if they are met in any of the next four.

Advice to Senior Management- Set realistic goals.
- Take a look at the mid-level management. Employees should be treated, not as a replaceable commodity but as a solution, with respect and appreciated for any amount of extra work they put in place.
- If HMS Holdings hires new employees for their talent, have a mid-level management that can take advantage of what these employees bring rather than be served as scapegoats for some poor decisions they were involved in.
- Doing the above just may help alleviate a major issue that has plagued HMS and was brought up recently: Retain people with experience that contribute.

No Work-life balance/under appreciated

I worked at HMS Holdings full-time

ProsWas able expand industry knowledge

ConsWhile working here, HMS does not provide work-life balance. When taking off, you are expected to still be available, and are not every completely turned off. Also, everyone is so overworked, there is no such thing as a 40 hour week. Appreciation is not shown for all the hard work and hours put in to the job. Many areas are understaffed, which causes more work for the employees, which really affects the morale. Not compensated enough for the work being done.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to truly appreciate your employees and all the hard work that is completed. A culture of work-life balance needs to be emphasized. A good start would be hiring a larger workforce.

Needs major improvement

I worked at HMS Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome great people work there.

ConsPay is low. Raises were minimal. Benefits decreased each year. Some of the middle management needs to be removed since no one seemed to know their purpose & some of the upper management team needs to be replaced.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the pay issues or you'll lose good people. Start caring about your employees & work to keep them satisfied.

Good company, experiencing growing pains

I have been working at HMS Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNotable growth even when the economy suffered.
Some leadership inspirational.
Decent benefits package.

ConsVery long days needed just to keep head above water.
Culture is not in actuality what they claim.
Work/life balance is tough.
Middle management a weak link.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop management should be looked at and their effectiveness assessed by an outside consulting firm.

Unprofessional

Irving, TX

I have been working at HMS Holdings full-time for less than a year

ProsNone come to mind - awful

ConsExtreme unprofessionalism, very few act as adults and don't come in trying to make any friends . Too much on your plate to ever successfully manage any project, if this is brought to upper management, they don't have resources to help. Expect to fail and then be yelled at for not succeeding. As others have said - sink or swim. Departments do not collaborate. Horrible pay for the work you are tasked with - 40 hrs a week, HA!!! Overall horrible and miserable experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee surveys would go a long way but only if you actually review the feedback. You have managers with years of experience in the field who are looked over by VP's. Invest in the people actually creating revenue, their experience and feedback is of much worth.

Lack of cultural cohesiveness

I have been working at HMS Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsTime off for those who have been around for a few years

ConsSome silos are good, others seem to be pretty rough on each other and others outside of their silo.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange managers not bringing a positive culture

Business Analyst

Business/Data Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at HMS Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPlenty of PTO for employees that have been there for awhile, ability to work remotely when needed, training classes are made available, if you know who to talk to or where to look.

ConsSiloed work mentality, pay is not competitive, high attrition rate and not enough 'bench strength' to fill the positions so the work gets piled on to the employees that already have too much on their plate. The forecasting process is a joke and recast is even worse, the numbers are unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you are trying to change the ways of how things are done but it's an uphill battle. We grew too fast and did not keep up with our technologies. Also, you may want to reevaluate your payscales for positions. You are losing a lot of seasoned employees to similar jobs where they are getting 10-15k more for less work.

Great people and managers in IT

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HMS Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsSmall company quickly growing to large. Lots of potential for career growth. Managers willing to work with you to provide training and most everyone I have met were nice and welcoming. Lots of neat company wide events for employees. My managers were personable; they all tried to get to know the team.

ConsGrowing pains and moving towards a 24/7 mentality can be hard for work/personal life balance. Operations administration is very disorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the low performers quickly so team morale isn't compromised and team synergy for effectiveness is high.

Worked for HMS Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HMS Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HMS Holdings CEO Bill Lucia. All 61 reviews posted anonymously by HMS Holdings employees.