HMSA Reviews

Michael Gold

1. PM job

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, above average benefit package, company gym.

Cons

HMSA is clearly a functional matrix-ed company. PMs have little control over project resources participating on their projects.

Needs focus; culture of fear

Current Employee - Manager in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most middle management and below are wonderful people to work with.
    Benefits are pretty good.
    Allows for excellent work-life balance.... because leadership ignores the employees for the most part.

Cons

Everyone - including leadership - is hesitant to make decisions for fear of retribution. This leads to inefficiencies and lack of progress on all initiatives.
    Tons of politicking and backstabbing at all levels.
    Little to no opportunity for internal advancement.
    Sr leadership has no interest in investing in or mentoring of the employees.
    Corporate strategy seemingly built on whimsy
    Frustratingly hypocritical - spout transparency and honesty but decisions are often veiled in secrecy and sometimes never communicated at all - whole departments are sometimes not informed of changes that have been made that impact them directly.
    Oh yea, and expect a 12+ year wait for parking - they are now offering parking to those who started in March 2003 or earlier. Wait. Unless you know one of the execs.

Advice to Management

Actions speak louder than words. Invest in your people and treat them with respect. If you don't trust them to make good decisions, you shouldn't have hired them to begin with.

Dont know what they want to do

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Honolulu, HI

I worked at HMSA (Less than a year)

Pros

very nice people to work with if you don't count management

Cons

In decisive, greed and back stabbing

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA full-time

Pros

Dominant health insurer in the state

Cons

Small regional health plan with limited resources. Departments compete rather than cooperate on objectives.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk.

6. Start focusing on your people vs yourself

I worked at HMSA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team of people I got to work with

Cons

Upper Management too focused on themselves

Advice to Management

Start looking at those that work for you and mentor them. Don't only think about yourself. Life work balance is important. Don't work people to death you talk the talk about health etc walk the walk.

Lots of company politcs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are wonderful people that work at HMSA and that's probably the reason I've stayed as long as I have, 3 years. The company is making a big effort to walk the talk and improve the work we do for our community, and the environment we work in. In the last year HMSA has started a rooftop garden, introduced a weekly Farmer's Market, and brought in an outside vendor that sells salads to make it easy for employees to eat a healthy lunch. HMSA values work / life balance and the importance of family.

Cons

The corporate culture is in the process of changing, but there are still about 50% of the company that has "this is the way we've always done it" or "that's not my job" syndrome. People are complacent and there are so many layers of management and approvals that it takes a REALLY long time to get anything done. There are a lot of middle managers that don't have the authority to make decisions.

Pay is not enough to help afford the cost of living in Hawaii. Benefits are great but we are living in the now

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA

Pros

Benefits are great as they really prepare you for the future. Also, the medical coverage we receive from HMSA is great. We are able to select from a wide range of plans ensuring our needs are met.

Cons

It is very hard to work in such a micro-managing company. When i first started as an adjustment examiner, I was trained on working towards accuracy but now I feel its solely based on the number of claims processed. Working in such a huge and demanding industry, we'd figure that personal growth would be welcomed, that is not the case here. Speaking from experience, I've applied to many jobs (jobs which fit me prefectly considering my degree) to advance my career at HMSA and unfortunately I have been stuck in the same position. I really do feel like management here has a huge say in whether or not you can move on to a new and better position which could easily discourage one. In addition, considering that we are a health insurance company, I cannot understand the pay rates towards the Claims department. We are what drives the company to conduct its business. Taking the cost of living in Hawaii and comparing our pay rates, I cannot see how one can get by living on this island. Yeah the benefits are great but we aren't living for the future, we are living for right now. The amount of work done does not deserve the mediocre pay we receive. I highly recommend those who are planning to apply to this company to stay away.

Advice to Management

Allow personal growth to be more independent rather than always notifying our manager that we are applying elsewhere internally. This really discourages employees from applying for something new and possibility better. An increase in pay would be great. The amount of work done is not compensated with a rational pay rate.

9. Large company with AWESOME coworkers and a wellness-centric environment

Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are great! Company is headed in the right direction, moving forward and improving. Many managers understand what you're going through, which they can help you get where you want to be.

Cons

Limited upward mobility but some opportunities to grow and some things move really slow.... That's corporate though, not much you can do about it.

Advice to Management

Say HI to everyone! We don't see them too often and it's nice to interact with everyone.

10. Provider Correspondence Representative

I worked at HMSA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and time-off was great.

Cons

The compensation was less than average.

Do not work in Customer Relations!

Former Employee - Customer Relations Representative in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Customer Relations Representative in Honolulu, HI

I worked at HMSA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great cheap medical benefits
    Free in house gym
    Great people to work with

Cons

No work life balance. You are only allowed 11 unapproved days off. Meaning of your sick more than 11 times a year you get written up. So expect to be on phones talking like a frog and infecting all of your co-workers. This company does not offer sick leave at all! Vacation must be approved. You could ask for it 3 months in advance and it will probably be denied. Members are assessment and stress you out and call you names but you have to be nice to them no matter how they belittle you because we're constantly being monitored by our supervisors. Pay was average, but I could find a no brain job for the same amount.

Advice to Management

Pay your reps more maybe they'll stick around more than a year and you can save money on training new blood all the time. Higher wage sometimes makes it seem more worthwhile.

RSS Feed </> Embed