HMSA Reviews

Robert P. Hiam

Lots of company politcs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are wonderful people that work at HMSA and that's probably the reason I've stayed as long as I have, 3 years. The company is making a big effort to walk the talk and improve the work we do for our community, and the environment we work in. In the last year HMSA has started a rooftop garden, introduced a weekly Farmer's Market, and brought in an outside vendor that sells salads to make it easy for employees to eat a healthy lunch. HMSA values work / life balance and the importance of family.

Cons

The corporate culture is in the process of changing, but there are still about 50% of the company that has "this is the way we've always done it" or "that's not my job" syndrome. People are complacent and there are so many layers of management and approvals that it takes a REALLY long time to get anything done. There are a lot of middle managers that don't have the authority to make decisions.

Pay is not enough to help afford the cost of living in Hawaii. Benefits are great but we are living in the now

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA

Pros

Benefits are great as they really prepare you for the future. Also, the medical coverage we receive from HMSA is great. We are able to select from a wide range of plans ensuring our needs are met.

Cons

It is very hard to work in such a micro-managing company. When i first started as an adjustment examiner, I was trained on working towards accuracy but now I feel its solely based on the number of claims processed. Working in such a huge and demanding industry, we'd figure that personal growth would be welcomed, that is not the case here. Speaking from experience, I've applied to many jobs (jobs which fit me prefectly considering my degree) to advance my career at HMSA and unfortunately I have been stuck in the same position. I really do feel like management here has a huge say in whether or not you can move on to a new and better position which could easily discourage one. In addition, considering that we are a health insurance company, I cannot understand the pay rates towards the Claims department. We are what drives the company to conduct its business. Taking the cost of living in Hawaii and comparing our pay rates, I cannot see how one can get by living on this island. Yeah the benefits are great but we aren't living for the future, we are living for right now. The amount of work done does not deserve the mediocre pay we receive. I highly recommend those who are planning to apply to this company to stay away.

Advice to Management

Allow personal growth to be more independent rather than always notifying our manager that we are applying elsewhere internally. This really discourages employees from applying for something new and possibility better. An increase in pay would be great. The amount of work done is not compensated with a rational pay rate.

3. Large company with AWESOME coworkers and a wellness-centric environment

Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are great! Company is headed in the right direction, moving forward and improving. Many managers understand what you're going through, which they can help you get where you want to be.

Cons

Limited upward mobility but some opportunities to grow and some things move really slow.... That's corporate though, not much you can do about it.

Advice to Management

Say HI to everyone! We don't see them too often and it's nice to interact with everyone.

5. Provider Correspondence Representative

I worked at HMSA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and time-off was great.

Cons

The compensation was less than average.

Do not work in Customer Relations!

Former Employee - Customer Relations Representative in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Customer Relations Representative in Honolulu, HI

I worked at HMSA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great cheap medical benefits
    Free in house gym
    Great people to work with

Cons

No work life balance. You are only allowed 11 unapproved days off. Meaning of your sick more than 11 times a year you get written up. So expect to be on phones talking like a frog and infecting all of your co-workers. This company does not offer sick leave at all! Vacation must be approved. You could ask for it 3 months in advance and it will probably be denied. Members are assessment and stress you out and call you names but you have to be nice to them no matter how they belittle you because we're constantly being monitored by our supervisors. Pay was average, but I could find a no brain job for the same amount.

Advice to Management

Pay your reps more maybe they'll stick around more than a year and you can save money on training new blood all the time. Higher wage sometimes makes it seem more worthwhile.

Work Environment

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Honolulu, HI
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Honolulu, HI

I worked at HMSA as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

HMSA has a very complex work environment where the user was provided with the proper tools to be able to learn better. The resources were provided in a timely manner in order to deliver the project on time.

Cons

In the beginning of the projects it is a laid back work environment, whereas towards the end the project becomes very chaotic and complex. It lacks group cohesiveness and lack of organization.

Advice to Management

Provide staff with more resources and proper training.

It's all about who you know...

I worked at HMSA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Umm, I guess the benefits and pay were decent for Hawaii.

Cons

Management is awful and spoiled. I have never seen so many unprofessional people in supervisor and upper management positions. And if you ever decide to stay out of the drama you will quickly get shut out.

Advice to Management

Good luck keeping good employees when you have departments with multiple HR complaints keeping the wrong people in charge.

Awful, spoiled management whose core values include lying and cheating

Former Employee - Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I worked at HMSA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady work in an ailing economy - you can have a full-time job at this company, for now.

Cons

Everything else: pay was terrible, supervision was terrible, executive management is greedy beyond evil, to say the very least. They are professional liars who are happy to suck your lifeblood until the day you realize you wasted your life in a cubicle working to make the world a worse off place.

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy. You are a non-profit company who treats their executive management like royalty, at the expense of Hawaii's poor and desperate. Stop being so quick to overcharge your own people for life-or-death treatments and medications.

Always caring for and focused on their members.

Current Employee - Writer in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Writer in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at HMSA full-time

Pros

- Great people
    - Great sense of community
    - Promotes sense of being a part of a worthy and big cause
    - Good pay
    - Good employee benefits

Cons

- Very corporate
    - Very bureaucratic
    - Many employees/management are set in their ways
    - Departments aren't as unified as they could be

If your employees are happy and satisfied your customers will be happy and satisfied

I worked at HMSA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Medical benefits aren't bad but it isn't free which is what one would think working for an insurance carrier. They have a free gym. The people I had to work with most were great and some not so much but for the most part the people there were great.

Cons

No work life balance. They expect you to do more with less pay. Management is more concerned on their own career progression and image than doing what is right and fighting for their team. Longtime employees or lifers can sometimes be the road block as their ideas are old, stifled, conservative and non progressive.

Advice to Management

If you want to be a consumer centric company why don't you focus at the core your employees and their growth, happiness and well being. If you paid a little more attention to the work load and the work balance then you wouldn't need to force these changes for consumerism because your workforce wod exude that and would want to do all that they could because they feel appreciated and compensated.