HMSHost

Updated December 16, 2014
2.5

HMSHost CEO Tom Fricke
Tom Fricke

Pros
  • Free food, hire everyone who interviews (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay, good union insurance, free lunch (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers are used as expendable barriers between associates and upper management (in 9 reviews)

• No benefits, no room for growth, management is detached from the hourly employees (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

HMSHost promotes a People First Culture Really? From an associate standpoint, not necessarly so!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at HMSHost full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are great! Depending on what you choose, not bad deal! Could not ask to work with such a Diverse group of associates. Companies are quick to state they have diversity in the work force, however, HMSHost has diversity in the work place, and an awesome group of associates!

Cons

PEOPLE FIRST-NOT. Ask any of the associates that received that wonderful email how they felt with the series of events that happended last week! Absolutley terrible! Talk about a morale buster-gives you a new insight about HMSHost really portray the PEOPLE FIRST CULTURE... Way to go

PEOPLE FIRST CULTURE-The decision makers really need to review this statement!

I had a wonderful experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at HMSHost

Pros

Great pay, great hours, and great company

Cons

Location Too Far
    Breaks Not Long

HMSHost was a great place to work because of the people...

Former Employee - Systems Department Staff in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Systems Department Staff in Bethesda, MD

I worked at HMSHost full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HMSHost employs great people who truly want to get the job done. Those people take pride in what they do with very little overall recognition.

Cons

HMSHost has become governed by the revenue needs of its parent company (Autogrill). Thusly, the company has become so focused on increasing profit payments to the Parent at the expense of the business and its employees. Due to high layoffs, existing employees have taken on more and more to the extent of fostering burnout. The only motivation given by the company is the assurance "well, you still have a job". That is not very encouraging.

Push back to Autogrill. It is not the fault of HMSHost that the Italian economy is in bad shape. HMSHost is a $2Billion+ cash business with little debt. HMSHost should make steps to grow the business by encouraging its employees while offering opportunities for personal growth and achievement. The should also take a lesson from their competitors as they have lost some very significant bids over the past few years.

opportunity

I have been working at HMSHost

Pros

It is Fast-pace working environment. I get to learn various experiences that allow me to expand my knowledge.

Cons

Incentive is not so bad yet is not so great. At point, work load is too extreme.

Great People

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at HMSHost

Pros

Very relaxed corporate environment, people are hard working but relatively easy going. Managers, i guess depending on department have an open door policy. People tend to stay for many years with this company, Lots of diversity in the working environment

Cons

Not much room for growth, pay could be better

Allow employees to contribute more in the decision making process

Everything's not as it seems

Former Employee - Supervisor in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Birmingham, AL

I worked at HMSHost full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job is very laid back ..! The employees are really sweet for wise as associates the job was very easy and great benfits

Cons

I was a supervisor and birmingham alabama HMS host company supervisor staff SUCKED ..!!!!!! any issues and concerns were not meet are corrected if you haven't been there for years you don't matter so you can say there was a lot of favoritism going on the staff was very messy .! Nothing was organized

JUST GET AN INTIRE NEW SUPERVISOR STAFF ..!

Not People First

Current Employee - Field Administrative/Human Resources Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Field Administrative/Human Resources Support in New York, NY

I have been working at HMSHost full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great & dedicated people, an interesting environment to work in - airport

Cons

The politics with this organization is hurting the success of its future. HMSHost decision leaders do not consider its employees at when making decisions- clearly evident within the past wks events. This company will not succeed unless its decision makers start valuing their people, especially those on the field who work their butts off. Too much emphasis on the bottom line. This company needs to make some changes in its upper management starting with corporate HR.

Be a little more empathic, your interest employees are your best asset.

It was okay

Former Employee - Cashier/Food Server in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier/Food Server in Newark, NJ

I worked at HMSHost

Pros

I worked for HMS Host for nearly 4 years as my first job. It was an experience to say the least. There were usually friendly co-workers.

Cons

Management are some-timie. One moment there your best friend another time there yu're enemy. The rasises or lack there-of. During my 4 years I went from 7.50 to 8.23, with an average of 24 cents a years. Obviously you wont be making a living off this job. Refusual to move-up in company is also a con

start over

ok place to work

Current Employee - Server in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Orlando, FL

I have been working at HMSHost part-time (less than an year)

Pros

not much on the pro side except you get early and free dinner.

Cons

management changes the rules every day. long drive for me. have to pay for parking..

Odd

I worked at HMSHost full-time

Pros

The company is good, because it has an a lot of hours available to work as they never seem to be staffed. The pay is not terrible either. The hours were also pretty good.

Cons

The company does not have good communication skills between management and the employees. They are not very understanding when a death in the family happens.. As I was terminated the day a grandparent passed away for not coming to work. They do not relay messages between each other. You could tell one manager something and they never tell the next.

Have better communications skills and things will work out better.

HMSHost Photos

Kennebunk Rest Stop - necessary amenities (Photo thanks to Flickr user Numan, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)
Another day