HMSHost

HMSHost Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

HMSHost CEO Tom Fricke

Tom Fricke

Pros:
  • "Good pay, good union insurance, free lunch"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Free food, hire everyone who interviews"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Managers are used as expendable barriers between associates and upper management"
    in 10 reviews
  • "80 per month in union dues and parking fees"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

bad

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

Prosworking at airport is pleasure

ConsManagement is racist and not hands on

Not too bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree Food. Good benefits if your full time

Conspay is little. for employees dishwashers. i knew this one dishwasher who was working for the company for 6 years and only got a 2 dollar raise from 6.60-8.66 there was only one and the workload was crazy so i thought that was pretty unffair

Good hiring process

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Mallorytown Landing, ON (Canada)

Prospleasant co-workers and managers for the most part!

Consminimal training, face-paced and high stress environment and standing for prolonged periods of time

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management with favoritism

Starbucks Barista (Current Employee)
    SeaTac, WA

ProsI met many individuals from other countries; many different diversities .
    Love the customers.

ConsManagement always keep to themselves in who they like by allowing other Co workers call off sick when they was out partying but when people who has children and have to go take care of the child they get FIRED. it's either work or family. I choose FAMILY.

Advice to Senior ManagementTHE REASON YOU LOSING MANY GOOD WORKERS is BECAUSE YOU TREAT US LIKE CRAP. You hired people, and have us train them, not even a month they get the boot. SEATAC AIRPORT STARBUCKS. CD

This job made me sick.. no joke

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Elverson, PA

ProsThe insurance is very good a bit costly but very solid.

ConsYour disposable! I was an assistant manager and i was always getting last second changes to my schedule, sent away for 3 weeks with 2 days warning. The general managers do not care about the employees. When i addressed moral issues at a management meeting i was told "you stress the small stuff too much". I was asked to work many shifts with 4 hours between them. Favoritism is VERY BAD in this company. If you don't care to see your family or friends its a great place to work. Many hourly employees working close to and over 100+ hours a pay cycle myself i was 120-130 hours...

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees, without them you have nothing. They will call out and even quit just to get away from this place as they already do.
    If a plaza is not staffed properly do not open till it is. Many customers will complain and you wont be the travelers best friend.

Good pay horrible customers

Fast Food Attendant (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood pay. co workers are amazing and good benefits

ConsNo room to move up unless youre the managers favorite
    horrible customers are almost not even worth the pay
    management almost never knew what they were doing
    scheduling was always different even though schedule was a set one or so we were told
    parking was $50 a month. $50!
    horrible working conditions people were constantly getting hurt and management didnt care
    i burst open my vein while at work because of a sheet of metal that wasnt properly mounted on the wall and they didnt allow me to go to our company clinic. instead just asked to bandage wound and not get blood everywhere.
    just horrible overall

good company to work

Staff Accountant I (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

Prosgood working environment, very relaxed

Consno much growth and pay is soso

Overall, great company from the global level, but much improvement needed at branch levels.

ProsGreat policy structure, training, and decent benefits.

ConsYou have to relocate to corporate office for significant advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize in house talent more.

Life of a Hamburger

Staff Accountant (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsThis is a nice company that you can work up the ranks in. I started off ten years ago flipping hamburgers in one of the locations we operate in and I have worked my way up the ranks and now I am doing accounting at the corporate headquarters. While at corporate I worked with a department called ISC where the directors are very involved with the employees and I believe it builds a good working environment. People also have worked for this company for MANY years, quite a few over 40 years.

ConsThe other departments do not have the same atmosphere as ISC. ISC has a good understanding of "the life of a hamburger" (the whole process) while the other departments only know and focus on what they know.
    The parent company Autogrill keeps pressuring HMS Host to make more money since Italy is not making any money. This has caused the organization to shrink the last few years creating additional work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a push towards the working environment that ISC has created.

Good

ProsThe pay is good, they give us an allowance to eat at certain places. You get a raise every year. Some of the employees are fun to work with.

ConsThe hours are really bad. Management is always changing. This company has a high turn over rate. The airport is kinda boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is the key.

Worked for HMSHost? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HMSHost reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HMSHost CEO Tom Fricke. All 175 reviews posted anonymously by HMSHost employees.