HMSHost

HMSHost Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

HMSHost CEO Tom Fricke

Tom Fricke

Pros
  • Good pay, good union insurance, free lunch (in 12 reviews)

• Free food, hire everyone who interviews (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers are used as expendable barriers between associates and upper management (in 10 reviews)

• No benefits, no room for growth, management is detached from the hourly employees (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

All your skills are tested

Food and Beverage Operations Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLots of energy daily challenges that require you to always be in a training and developing frame of mind.

ConsPoor equipment preventive maintenance overall

Easy money. Little money, but easy money

Storeroom Stock Clerk (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsI was left alone to do my job and was trusted to do so. Free food at Host Restaurants. Some of the people were nice.

ConsHorribly managed, starting with GM. Awful hours and high turnover creates 6 day work weeks. Was there five years and only ended up making a dollar more than when i started.

Advice to Senior ManagementMerit raises would go a long way to retain more of the good workers an create some loyality. 95% of the company were miserable.

Eh

Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsWorking at a Turnpike rest stop they gave us $10 a day for food which was really nice. I got the chance to train at Starbucks and luckily I did or else I would not have the job I have today.

ConsManagers did not care if anything got done and were extremely lazy. Training on the computer was way too drawn out for what the job really was.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about what goes on and stop being lazy!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok Job, Definitely needs improvement.

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe schedule is flexible, and being a HMSHost employee, you get discounts on all other HMS stores. The non-management employees are friendly and nice to work with.

ConsPoor management. Although the managers are friendly, they do not address problems correctly, nor do they always correct the issue. Raises are not always given when earned. Many other full time workers have not received their full-time title nor have they received their benefits. They are vert stingy and cheap with their money, but i have never not received my check.

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivate and push your employees to WANT and DO better. They say they want better for the company but do not show they are serious to the employees. If the managers are slacking and not caring, the employees will do the same.

Worst job I ever had!

Barista (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsI guess the free meal but we only had one to chose from and couldn't even have drinks/food from "Starbucks"

ConsAwful training, disgusting staff, managers are a joke, the whole staff was worthless.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart from scratch!

Kind of ghetto

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Concord, NC

ProsPay was good and bonus. Loved working with the staff.

ConsMy manager was a busy body

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not overlook the managers that Really ran the store day to day.

A good job, just not a good fit for me.

Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsYou get to meet a lot of interesting people working at the airport, which I enjoyed. You also get one free meal from any of the HMSHost restaurants for each shift you work. The starting wage of $8/hr was nice in comparison to the minimum wage that's usually offered.

ConsDespite the exciting work environment (airport) and the benefit of a free meal once every shift, I felt my co-workers were very cliquey- often showing up late for shifts they worked with me. Also, I was not paid until almost a month after I was hired because someone forgot to enter my name into the computer.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think if some of the workers were patient with and more accepting of new hires- you'd have a much better turnover rate. Nobody wants to work somewhere where they feel rejected. Other than employee attitudes, everything else ran smoothly. Employer was fair.

bad

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Prosworking at airport is pleasure

ConsManagement is racist and not hands on

Not too bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree Food. Good benefits if your full time

Conspay is little. for employees dishwashers. i knew this one dishwasher who was working for the company for 6 years and only got a 2 dollar raise from 6.60-8.66 there was only one and the workload was crazy so i thought that was pretty unffair

Good hiring process

Cashier (Current Employee) Mallorytown Landing, ON (Canada)

Prospleasant co-workers and managers for the most part!

Consminimal training, face-paced and high stress environment and standing for prolonged periods of time

Worked for HMSHost? Contribute to the Community!