HMSHost

Updated December 19, 2014
2.6

HMSHost CEO Tom Fricke
Tom Fricke

Pros
  • Free food, hire everyone who interviews (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay, good union insurance, free lunch (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers are used as expendable barriers between associates and upper management (in 9 reviews)

• No benefits, no room for growth, management is detached from the hourly employees (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice

Former Employee - Cashier in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at HMSHost part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a good place of you are student nice Team work , friendly coworkers,

Cons

The schedule can be hard

Fun and Fast-paced but....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at HMSHost full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working in the airport environment, meeting people from all over the country and the world. Convenient public transport to and from work. Benefits and discounts. Never a dull moment. Get good exercise walking through the airport.

Cons

Managers overworked and under-paid. Not uncommon for salaried managers to work 60-65 hours/week. Continuously short-staffed, both in hourly and management. Liberal union policies makes it hard to get rid of undesirable employees.

Not what it once was

I worked at HMSHost

Pros

Good company to grow with as an unexpierced manager. If you are willing to put in a minimum of 50 hrs a week you will get a shot to prove yourself.

Cons

No clear direction from the top down. Many good ideas in place but when it boils down to it they are only ideas for most of the company's management teams. Unethical behavior thrives in this company, and HR is a big part of the cover up leaving an associate with little recourse.

Have HR continue to work with operations, but not for them. The system needs an overhaul. These people charged with protecting the associates are also part of the culture of a hostile work environment practices. Unbiased decisions are made and when questioned or asked to look at facts it is too late a decision was already made. If you want "people first" this company needs to figure out a true anonymous way of reporting unethical an immorality behavior with out the fear of retaliation on the associate and and HR personal that would be involved. The company spokespeople would say everything is in place to protect the worker, but the policies in place are to limit tort by disgruntled associates and nothing more. People first starts with the company's most valuable assets, it's associates. Unfortunately a majority of the leadership team sees their associates as disposable items of little value. Until they see the true value in their associates the company will continue to struggle and change direction every few years, create new training systems, update ethics polices and restructure. What this company needs to do is look at the leadership in place. Most do not walk the talk and it's glaring to who ever looks with out rose colored glasses. Say no to the smoozers, and those who undermine the company once known as a place to spend your career with instead of a place to collect a check until you get fed up with all the bs

Good people, poor management

Former Employee - Cashier in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Detroit, MI

I worked at HMSHost full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people that I worked with. They were all very nice and supportive although some got into fights. I also very much enjoyed the airport atmosphere.

Cons

It is really expensive to work for this company. Union dues, pay for parking, lunch is crazy expensive. The way they decide their hows is also bad and is just based on seniority. If you need to switch shifts, managements was not helpful at all. Management was nice but did not seem to have everything together.

The level of work was not worth the money.

Former Employee - Bartender in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Bartender in Atlanta, GA

I worked at HMSHost full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was a bartender for Hmshost the traffic level ensured that I would receive good tips at Harts field Airport in Atlanta, GA. The customers were friendly as they briefly pass through on occasion you would get a rude one.

Cons

The management were horrible. They didn't give us are proper breaks for an 8 or 12 hrs shift because none of the managers were trained or scheduled us properly to relieve each other. They offered us the fast food but wouldn't allow us to select the food of our choice in the casual fine dining locations, not even the one you worked in. Very rude and inconsiderate management.

Treat your employees better and not like new age slaves.

Will be your life 60 hours a week, and they don't care if you WANT to have a personal life

I worked at HMSHost full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very militaristic with rules and regulations.

Cons

60 hour work weeks, scheduled for 5/10 hour shifts, but rarely possible to not work at least 12. (No over-time/Salary)
    Only care about the bottom line, regardless of what it takes to get there.

Work with lower level and middle management more. They are the work horses that make the company thrive.

This is a fast pace environment with high turnover.

I have been working at HMSHost full-time (more than an year)

Pros

training opportunities, opportunities for growth, free meals, ability to transfer

Cons

high turnover, airport environment, no set schedule

consider making associates pay for their own airport badges which will lower cost to the company. consider having basic forms that associates can fill out online ex. W-4, name and address changes.

Good place to work and make a carrier

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at HMSHost full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Corporate environment. Great bonus system. Paid vacation and holidays

Cons

Worked at Ohare. Takes long time to get to your job, Basically wasted one hour each day traveling from the parking lot to the restaurant. Management staff don't have union and rest of the employees do, and that cause a lot of problems.

Worst company I ever worked for in 30 years doesn't even deserve one star

I worked at HMSHost full-time

Pros

Great tips,the hours, tips nothing else

Cons

Everything else, MANAGEMENT WAS A JOKE, the most incompetent management with a better than attitude, no such thing as a team player environment, management plays favorites, slavery is still alive and well....

My advice is for corporate, find new management, not to mention food quality and presentation is a joke, can you say fryer and microwave? WTH? I was embarrassed to serve everything off of the menu, then to serve it on plastic broken plates which we only had about 9 of, then we switched to styrofoam, real green environment...NOT....nothing like serving microwaved salmon for $20.95 on a styrofoam or broken plastic plate, with the cold salad served on same piping hot microwaved plate.....but then you have a captive audience so what do you all care? If you don't trust your employees then make sure your so called managers are available or aren't too busy reading a book to make a void. And guess what? Not everyone is a thief! My whole training experience, was all about stealing, not customer service or being a team player, it was all about stealing, that should have been my first red flag....

Hms Host

Current Employee - Cashier in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at HMSHost full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros at all

Cons

No flexible hours poor management

Need more trained professional managers,supervisors etc.

HMSHost Photos

Kennebunk Rest Stop - necessary amenities (Photo thanks to Flickr user Numan, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)
Another day