HNI Reviews

Reset
3.1
HNI Chairman, President, and CEO Stan Askren
Stan Askren

1. WAKE UP HNI, Your workers made you who you are, respect them!

Current Employee - Distribution Support in Muscatine, IA
    Current Employee - Distribution Support in Muscatine, IA

I have been working at HNI

Pros

It is a very large stable company. They have health beifits, profitsharing. And there are still a lot of great people who work there.

Cons

Currently poorly managed, with respect to human recources. They just don't care much, if any, about the people that work for them. HON used to be more about being a good place to work, and employees were treated as, what they called "Members" Now the term "Members" is more like a slap in the face. Because being a member of somthing would indicate that you were part of somthing that you felt you belong to, and possible might have an influence in helping the cause of the company. Now people are treated as if it was their fault the company might be experiencing financial difficulty because of the economy.

Advice to Management

Most people understand that the economy is bad, and that we need to cut corners and raise productivity, but that is no excuse to treat people with no respect. Let us help. Acknowlege the fact that that "you" the management don't have all the answers.

work horse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muscatine, IA

I have been working at HNI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the overtime you can handle.

Cons

You need to work your life away to be able to make ends meet. The pay is terrible relative to the work they expect from you. The CEO makes over 5 million a year, while the "members" can't afford to feed their families a decent meal. Hours are inconsistent, you have no idea what time your shift will end from day to day.

Advice to Management

Pay a decent wage for a decent days work.

IT

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Muscatine, IA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Muscatine, IA

I have been working at HNI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay, profit sharing when company is making money. HNI is good for the local community and the community in China working for Lamex. Small town living the commute is non stressful and the overall city life is safe and affordable.

Cons

Too many contractors, top heavy with Directors, Managers, and Supervisors. Its the buddy system who you know and are friends with determines if you move up and you could spend years doing the same thing with nowhere to move forward or even move laterally. Benefits are below average for a mid to large corporation. HR-MCR is non existent for it's employees as they are just trying to move up the ladder to higher management, definitely their own agenda. Very LARGE turnover in the last 3 years. CIO is only interested in the contracting to save money, and the Oracle transition and not with day to day operations and the employees who keep IT and the business running. I would not recommend working in IT at HNI

Advice to Management

Invest more in day to day operations and not your own agenda, basically seen as a dog & pony show by the people who really keep the operation running.

HNI Response

Apr 23, 2015 – Member & Community Relations

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to give us some very honest feedback. I'm sorry that your experience at HNI hasn't matched our intention of being a great place to work for our ... More

5. Experiences

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orleans, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orleans, IN

I worked at HNI

Pros

Good Company, Good Vision and mission

Cons

Too focussed on Lean without worrying about customer requirements

Advice to Management

Develop business model to meet customer requirements

6. It started out great, but has deteriorated immensely.

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Muscatine, IA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Muscatine, IA

I have been working at HNI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been here for 14 years and it's close to home

Cons

They are out sourcing their software development. I'm a software developer.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees more.

Used to be a good place to work. However, the company is going in a totally different direction.

I have been working at HNI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been here a long time and I know the business.

Cons

The legacy system is being replaced with a third-party, packaged software. Not sure where my place in the new environment will be. Communication is lacking in the direction of the department. People have started leaving the department in droves. During the recession, the department had a wage freeze. Now that business is picking up, we would like be compensated for our service during the recession. Raises seem to be worse than before the recession. We are asked to take on more responsibility with no compensation or additional title. People are getting fed up.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Treat them with respect and compensate them for their dedication on making the company profitable.

8. A tough job to love

I have been working at HNI

Pros

One of the only games in town.

Cons

Culture is a bit strange. Supervisors.

Favors new members a lot more than tenured members

Current Employee - Training Facilitator in Muscatine, IA
    Current Employee - Training Facilitator in Muscatine, IA

I have been working at HNI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you are new then its an ok place to work. Any time they implement pay increases generally it only affects the new members.

Cons

Inconsistent work, HR is never around and hardly willing to help members when they are here. Hires anyone that is breathing. Make more per hour working fast food.

Advice to Management

Allow more growth from within, increase pay and be more willing to help members.

Hard company to work for

I have been working at HNI

Pros

Growth opportunities, centralized manufacturing facilities in Iowa

Cons

Managers and partners are out for #1. No respect for fellow members and their abilities. People are always out to make others look bad.

Advice to Management

show some consideration to your members. Don't be a "power-over" leader. Morale is low for a reason.

Manager

I have been working at HNI full-time

Pros

Strong company drive, performance driven. Good RCI process that focuses on change. Good financial performance. Strong supply chain tactics which blend manufacturing practices to the transportation of products to customers. Strong customer focus.

Cons

Outdated management practices focused on tactical thinking. Very little strategic focus from leadership, even during strategic meetings. No significant change management approach other than RCI. Senior leaders have been in the company to long that they are blinded to best practices at other companies more advanced. Leaders are also resistant to new approaches.

Advice to Management

1.) Listen to the new people that are coming into the company. 2.) Train, support and encourage the current managers and directors to open up to new approaches. 3.) Build a culture of innovation around product development. Think outside of files and office furniture

RSS Feed </> Embed