HNI

Be The First To
Add Photos

HNI Chairman, President, and CEO Stan Askren

Stan Askren

WAKE UP HNI, Your workers made you who you are, respect them!

Distribution Support (Current Employee) Muscatine, IA

ProsIt is a very large stable company. They have health beifits, profitsharing. And there are still a lot of great people who work there.

ConsCurrently poorly managed, with respect to human recources. They just don't care much, if any, about the people that work for them. HON used to be more about being a good place to work, and employees were treated as, what they called "Members" Now the term "Members" is more like a slap in the face. Because being a member of somthing would indicate that you were part of somthing that you felt you belong to, and possible might have an influence in helping the cause of the company. Now people are treated as if it was their fault the company might be experiencing financial difficulty because of the economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost people understand that the economy is bad, and that we need to cut corners and raise productivity, but that is no excuse to treat people with no respect. Let us help. Acknowlege the fact that that "you" the management don't have all the answers.

Good environment to be nurtured, but not the most stable in terms of being recession proof.

Product Engineer (Former Employee) Salisbury, NC

ProsMid-size company made working there feel like working with close friends and family, allowing us to develop very good relationships with colleagues and peers.

ConsFurniture industry is very volatile in the fact that it will be the first to feel the the downsides of a bad economy, and the first thing management will do is to arbitrarily cut head-count from all departments, regardless if you have been a good performer or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a salary cut from $250,000 to $75000 before you start letting lower level people go.

internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice place to work for interns. Plenty of opportunity to see entire operations within the company. Fun activities offered throughout the intern experience. Decent pay

ConsExperience might not pull as much weight compared to working with other corporations. Matching projects with desired areas of work are lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude projects that results can be seen. Also screen who interns are paired with, interns should not be doing busy work for mentors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Experiences

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Orleans, IN

ProsGood Company, Good Vision and mission

ConsToo focussed on Lean without worrying about customer requirements

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop business model to meet customer requirements

Worth it

Factory Worker (Former Employee) Muscatine, IA

ProsGreat people to work with
    good company direction and management
    the laid back managers work on the floor for personal assistance

ConsFast paced, stressful at times
    I got trained in many areas over a short period of time, then had high expectations
    monotonous work over time
    long days, early hours

Advice to Senior ManagementI suggest training the employees slower, until mastery of a certain area, then continue to broaden as time goes on

I loved my job.

Data Center Technical Specialist (Former Employee) Muscatine, IA

ProsWhile working in the IT Department I had great gratification that I was able to help other people with their everyday problems. The production personal and office personal were great to work with.

ConsVery stressful at times but that was all part of the job. I believe some people were probably paid more then they were worth, based on job performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no complaints what so ever about my boss or supervisor. They were both great to work with and very good at listening and giving tips/advice on the job.

Lack of communication from executives

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Muscatine, IA

ProsThe health benefits were very generous for families, not single young adults. After qualifying (2 years) for Cash Profit Sharing the company makes a generous match into members 401(k) accounts.

ConsIf you are starting your career with the company, do not expect guidance from management of what is expected of you, they assume you already know. There is a lack of support and communication between executives and mid-management and staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the basics on how HNI became successful. Give members in the company greater guidance along with transparency to how well the company truly is doing.

Very solid and reputable company to work.

ProsHNI is a great place to work. There have been many opportunities for me to move up within the company and management is very good.

ConsPay could be better and location in Muscatine, Iowa is somewhat limiting , but overall a very good place to work.

Good

Assembler (Former Employee)

ProsGood learning environment. Lean Kaizen

ConsHot environment, sometimes long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

It started out great, but has deteriorated immensely.

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Muscatine, IA

ProsI've been here for 14 years and it's close to home

ConsThey are out sourcing their software development. I'm a software developer.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees more.

Worked for HNI? Contribute to the Community!