HNTB Companies

HNTB Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

HNTB Companies Executive Chairman, HNTB Holdings Harvey K. Hammond Jr.

Harvey K. Hammond Jr.

Pros:
  • "Good benefits and yearly salary evaluations"
    in 12 reviews
  • "I got to cut my teeth on some great projects and work with some great people"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "The upper management could be annoying to deal with at times"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Extremely long work hours and no understanding from management regarding work life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Started great, then took a left

Oakland, CA

ProsGood place to make some good money. Talented coworkers and great support staff.

ConsCompletely top heavy although, strangely enough, no real leadership. Laser focus on revenue at all costs. Get down or lay down mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe true wealth is in the employees and their satisfaction. If they feel of little worth to management the sentiment will be returned. You must diversify your approach or end up like Detroit.

Cut throat company

Kansas City, MO

ProsGood pay and benefits, that's it.

ConsYour are only useful if you can make money for the company. Everyone else is disposable. The annual reviews are a joke, no follow up and no training.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value your employees. If you do not work to keep faithful dedicated employees, the company will ultimately fail.

Big company with fractured leadership.

ProsMany talented employees who care deeply about giving their best. Good benefits and pay

ConsHorrible support systems. Company lives by email and excel spreadsheets. Short term thinking. TOJ is all that matters. Executive leadership is very disconnected.., or they just don't care.

Advice to Senior ManagementActions speak louder than words. Prove that you care about the long term viability of the company and not just interested in preserving the stock value so you can retire.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chairman of the board needs to call it a day and pass the baton.

Kansas City, MO

ProsSmart,creative, dedicated people. Cultural focus on integrity. Has the opportunity to break in to some great market opportunities if management can learn to work together.

ConsSignificant executive turmoil, short sighted decision making and no investment in IT technologies/applications.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and start connecting with the people doing the work!

Mostly good but almost non-existant upper management, little if any communications to employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood salary, decent working conditions, good middle management - trying anyway.

ConsPoor communications company wide. Wide spread paranoia and "management by fear"

Advice to Senior ManagementGet into this century

Great Learning, Good Projects and Openess to Leadership

ProsBest Bridge Design Company, Good Work Culture

ConsHiring Improvement needed Must be minimum Master's

Advice to Senior ManagementCore Competence Required To Develop A No.1 Company

Great people, poor management

Urban Planner (Current Employee)

ProsMany of the everyday workers are really good at what they do and the atmosphere is very friendly. Projects are varied and it's possible to expand your horizons if you show interest in another area of expertise.

ConsManagement seems totally removed from the day-to-day operations and tend to focus more on abstract concepts (time on job, or TOJ) than actual employees. There is an overemphasis on producing the right numbers to make the office look good. Furthermore, the company is split administratively into the various offices, which means each office has its own fiefdom and there is not a lot of cross-pollination of ideas or project experience.

In addition, the system is set up to favor very large projects that are specific to a few select disciplines. Smaller practices (such as water resources) which tend to operate on many small projects at one time, rather than one massive megaproject, are at an inherent disadvantage because of the way management tracks department performance. They are naturally going to need small bits of marketing time here and there to go after a continuous stream of small projects, but management seems to think everyone should be involved on a multi-year megaproject that keeps everyone 100% billable for years at a time.

As an urban planner, I feel our profession is especially neglected. Through attrition, layoffs, and an unwillingness on the part of management to go after jobs that align with the expertise of our staff, we have been systematically dismantled as a practice and no longer do most of the core planning work that we did even 5 years ago.

Benefits are a mixed bag. 3 weeks of PTO seems generous, but as soon as you try to take any time off, you'll get an earful from management about minimizing your PTO so that TOJ stays high. I've even felt pressured not to take sick time when I need it, or at least overwork myself the rest of the week, in order to keep numbers high. Some of this may be due to the small size of our department - it looks worse for us if one person is out for a day than it does for some of the larger departments. But this, once again, is an issue with the way management tracks performance.

There is also no paid maternity or paternity leave program. When our child was born, I had to take all of my accrued PTO just to stay home for a few weeks - I couldn't even use sick time!

Management is also very much an old boys' club. It's virtually all older white males - hardly a woman or minority to speak of - and there don't seem to be many prospects for moving up the ladder. The company pays lip service to career development, but I have yet to see opportunities to take on more of a leadership role in my own career, or that of most of my peers.

Ultimately, my assessment of HNTB is "penny wise, pound foolish". Management is so busy looking at this month's bottom line that they are neglecting long-term growth and employee satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees. Stop focusing so much on profits and invest more in the talent that ultimately gets the job done. Things might look good today, but eventually you're going to lose all of the people that got you where you are.

DON'T DO IT

ProsDifferent types of Project If you can Extract truth

ConsHostile Working Environment
    I worked for them and it was terrible. The manager was a back bitter and then I learned that I was among 5 more. From the time I was hired I got a lot of attitude and misinformation from my co-workers or should I say arch enemies. One guy actually told me that he was opposed to having an outsider hired into the group about 1 month after I had been hired. My boss turmed my training over to people who did not want me or any other person (she did not manage the my training at all) "from the outside" hired on. Its hard to produce good work when sabotage is a foot. I was getting false information, incomplete information to none at all (they were just too busy to help me). What's worse is that HR did nothing about it and I was unjustly let go for a job that I had extensive experience in. It was unjust to let me go but it feels GOOD to be gone. If I could give them NO stars I WOULD.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think I said it.

You are just a number..do not spend your career here

(Former Employee)

ProsLarge projects all over the US, offers complex and interesting work

ConsBroken review system, horrible middle and upper management, do a great job of making people feel replaceable

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the people that do the grunt work better and not like a replaceable cog in one of the wheels that keep HNTB moving. Do away with your current review system it is flawed and does not foster collaboration. Start treating employees that have been with the company for a number of years better, they have been loyal and deserve to be treated like professionals.

A company on the wane

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking at HNTB can be a great learning experience for a young engineer. There are engineers with great experience to learn from. A well established leader in civil projects with an impressive portfolio of projects.

ConsThe company seems to have structural problems. It appears to have become a collection of independent companies broken down by geographic and individual office locations. Each competing with each other over projects, resources and profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten the organization to put the right resources on the project no matter where their location is rather than reinvent for each project in each office. Mentorship used to be a way of building technical expertise at HNTB. There's no time for that now given their burdensome Time-On-Job goals which rule the organization.

Worked for HNTB Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HNTB Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HNTB Companies CEO Harvey K. Hammond Jr. All 147 reviews posted anonymously by HNTB Companies employees.