HNTB Companies

www.hntb.com

HNTB Companies Reviews

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014

HNTB Companies Executive Chairman, HNTB Holdings Harvey K. Hammond Jr.
Harvey K. Hammond Jr.

Pros
  • Good benefits (Healthcare, 401K plan) and good diversity of work (in 15 reviews)

• Salary and benefits are excellent, but justify how they treat staff (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management on the Board is pretty far removed from project managers who deliver the work (in 17 reviews)

• The work-life balance doesn't exist (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Diverse projects, lots of hard work and lots of rewards.

Former Employee - Document Control Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Document Control Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at HNTB Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very talented employees who are dedicated to the employer, the client and invested in the projects. Many roles are available, the more responsibility you ask for and capably handle, the more you can be assigned. Lots of opportunities. You have an opportunity to grow within the company and the company gives bonuses and hosts events to show their appreciation. Great experience!

Cons

Long work hours but that is normal in the industry.

Richard Ridings sets an excellent example of what upper management should be - in tune with the project, the staff and assists both in acheiving not only project success but sets the bar for excellence.

Great projects, and a renewed focus on delivery and not just firm metrics. Growth is being encouraged.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at HNTB Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great local team, with lots of resources at our disposal. There's a real sense of pride in our work, and projects are very collaborative. Comps and benefits are very competitive.

Cons

Large company can be intimidating to some people. There's the typical bureaucracy of a bigger company too. No formal mentoring program. Upper management on the Board is pretty far removed from project managers who deliver the work.

The best way to increase the bottom line earnings is to decrease the financial pressures and encourage local leaders to pursue top talent in order to grow the number of employees and the contracts they can bring in the door.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Vice President - Transportation
    Current Employee - Vice President - Transportation

I have been working at HNTB Companies full-time

Pros

They care about their people
    Salary and benefits are excellent
    Training and development are top notch

Cons

Not a lot of diversity

Good employer

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at HNTB Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom, great for personal growth. Lots of various projects across the states.

Cons

Too tight budget control, too hard to get approved on spending.

Built to last for the next 100 years!!!

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at HNTB Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

HNTB celebrates 100 years in business this year! What a great testimony to sustainability!!!

With Rob Slimp as the CEO there is a renewed emphasis on delivering value to clients, investing in the professional development of all HNTB employees and outreach by senior leadership to strong performing offices.

Current company strategies are on track for profitable growth for the next five years and beyond!!!

Cons

Work life balance can sometimes be a challenge with all the great career building opportunities at HNTB.

Keep employees "in the know" of company decisions, key initiatives, key hires/investments, etc.

Invest in HNTB employees 365 days a year...Don't reduce investments in quarter four.

A very happy HNTB employee !!!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Orlando, FL

I have been working at HNTB Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been at HNTB for 14 years and I would not want to be working anywhere else. Do we have our challenges? Absolutely, but what company doesn't. We have a new CEO who cares and is moving our "my" company in the right direction. Our employees work hard to meet out client's needs and we deliver...that is our differentiator. I would put us up against any of our competitors.

Cons

Nothing to complain about, I am empowered to make things happen and I enjoy thoroughly what I do for this firm.

Keep focusing and investing in our people for they are a critical asset to the firm.

Los Angeles Architecture Rebirth

Current Employee - Architect in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Architect in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at HNTB Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Having been around for about 5 years, I have seen this office working well and the downturn over the past years. Now I see our office transforming to a strong architecture practice, especially in aviation, sports and transit. I am also enjoying our design collaboration with our engineers on infrastructure projects.

Cons

They will work you hard and engineering management style can be heavy handed.

The engineering senior management should understand that architecture does not always fit into the engineering mold. They should be open to how architecture practice works and adjust.

On the right track!!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at HNTB Companies

Pros

The Convention Center practice is really thriving! Lots and lots of project wins in that market sector during the past few years and we're well positioned to continue that trend. The exciting part is that our expertise continues to be inflated.

Cons

HNTB should investigate hiring some companies owned by current employees to supplement our in house marketing/graphics group. Clients will flock to HNTB if we have cooler graphics and we'll reward our friends/co-workers while improving office morale at the same time. Win-Win-Win!!

Keep up the good work, you're doing great!

Great people, very good pay and benefits

I have been working at HNTB Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company has very supportive management, they encourage you to try and advance yourself. Benefits are above average. They are pretty flexible with time off, and if employment is uncertain,do not get upset if you seek employment elsewhere as long as you make them aware of it.

Cons

A lot of their work is by contract or project, so there is not necessarily much long term job security. However, a lot of companies are like that in this industry.

Systems administrator

I worked at HNTB Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits package, with company matching 401k and stock. Co-workers were very friendly and easly to get along with.

Cons

Was hired to do work for a specific construction job, was told when I was hired that there would be other opportunities when the project was completed, now that the project has completed there are opportunities within the company so I am out hunting for a job again.

Be more pro-active in retaining employees that are hired for specific projects to help place them onto other projects in the organization so that there is less turn-over in the company.