HNTB Companies

HNTB Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

HNTB Companies Executive Chairman, HNTB Holdings Harvey K. Hammond Jr.

Harvey K. Hammond Jr.

Pros
  • Good benefits and yearly salary evaluations(in 12 reviews)

• I got to cut my teeth on some great projects and work with some great people(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management could be annoying to deal with at times(in 16 reviews)

• Company seems to be trying to find its way in the Design-Build realm(in 7 reviews)

Good employer

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsLots of freedom, great for personal growth. Lots of various projects across the states.

ConsToo tight budget control, too hard to get approved on spending.

Los Angeles Architecture Rebirth

Architect (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsHaving been around for about 5 years, I have seen this office working well and the downturn over the past years. Now I see our office transforming to a strong architecture practice, especially in aviation, sports and transit. I am also enjoying our design collaboration with our engineers on infrastructure projects.

ConsThey will work you hard and engineering management style can be heavy handed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe engineering senior management should understand that architecture does not always fit into the engineering mold. They should be open to how architecture practice works and adjust.

On the right track!!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe Convention Center practice is really thriving! Lots and lots of project wins in that market sector during the past few years and we're well positioned to continue that trend. The exciting part is that our expertise continues to be inflated.

ConsHNTB should investigate hiring some companies owned by current employees to supplement our in house marketing/graphics group. Clients will flock to HNTB if we have cooler graphics and we'll reward our friends/co-workers while improving office morale at the same time. Win-Win-Win!!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, you're doing great!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, very good pay and benefits

ProsThe company has very supportive management, they encourage you to try and advance yourself. Benefits are above average. They are pretty flexible with time off, and if employment is uncertain,do not get upset if you seek employment elsewhere as long as you make them aware of it.

ConsA lot of their work is by contract or project, so there is not necessarily much long term job security. However, a lot of companies are like that in this industry.

Systems administrator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits package, with company matching 401k and stock. Co-workers were very friendly and easly to get along with.

ConsWas hired to do work for a specific construction job, was told when I was hired that there would be other opportunities when the project was completed, now that the project has completed there are opportunities within the company so I am out hunting for a job again.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more pro-active in retaining employees that are hired for specific projects to help place them onto other projects in the organization so that there is less turn-over in the company.

An amazing internship experience that propelled my education outside of the classroom and taught me many skills

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAllowed for me to come out of the internship a more well-rounded individual. Taught me al ot about the engineering industry, which i knew nothing about coming in. I learned many skills that can be applicable to many communications/marketing jobs. Very friendly helpful staff. Was given many responsibilities.

ConsThere really were none other than there seemed to be a generation gap between me and many others in the office, but nothing that hindered my ability to learn and embrace those around the office.

Excellent

Engineer (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsMore room to learn with diff groups and grow

ConsI can't see any Cons

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone is doing great job!

Great

Architect (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsCompany cares employees a lot.

ConsIt doesn't have broad spectrum of market.

Advice to Senior ManagementHNTB has a strong direction and leadership.

On the upswing

Transportation Engineer II (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThe managers at HNTB will let you develop as much as you are willing to take initiative. You have the opportunity to work on some of the most innovative and largest projects in the country and with some of the best people. Compensation, benefits, and personal opportunities for growth are some of the best in the industry.

ConsDepending on your manager, there may be a lack of communication or development. However, if you take initiative and talk to your manager about where you want your career to go, then you will be given these opportunities. In the recent past there have been some layoffs, but nothing out of line with what the rest of the industry (or any industry in the US) has experienced over the last few years during the Great Recession.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the big picture, which is sustainable, profitable growth. Don't worry so much about TOJ and focus more on sales. Sales has a tendency to cure a lot of the problems where TOJ problems starts to arise.

The grass is greener

Project Architect (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsPeople who give HNTB poor marks have obviously never worked in this industry. HNTB is by far the best employer when it comes to design firms.

ConsToo fast to adopt new tech. HNTB needs to really do a value add analysis before it invests in things that are pretty, flashy and costly.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't CHANGE for the sake of CHANGE. I am well aware that a certain people seem to pull new ideas out of thin air. Sometimes those new ideas need to stay in thin air.

Worked for HNTB Companies? Contribute to the Community!