HOK Sport Reviews

Updated May 20, 2014
Updated May 20, 2014

4.0

Jim Walters

Loved it, just too limited growth opportunities

Current Employee - Principal
    Current Employee - Principal

I have been working at HOK Sport full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work on the most impressive projects in the world

Cons

Limited growth for mid-level managers without an architecture degree.

Empower the loyal, long term, proven managers.

Good work-life balance, good people

I worked at HOK Sport full-time

Pros

Exciting range of projects, in scale and in ambition. Relaxed office vibe. Regular hours.

Cons

Lack of site visits, responsibilities for junior staff

Consider more communication between offices and more staff movement between offices

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at HOK Sport full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Given lots of responsibility and room to investigate different design solutions. If you work hard you can shape your career path here.

Cons

Deadlines and projects move fast. Work / life balance was an issue for me from time to time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A firm on a downward spiral....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at HOK Sport

Pros

Interesting high profile projects. Decent pay for an architecture firm.

Cons

Employees can get pigeon-holed easily if not careful. Promotions are often out of left-field and seem to be a popularity contest. You must have a senior principal on your side to get promoted.
    Senior management now care more about the money than the employees that got them to where the are today. Sad.

Remember who got you to this point and have some loyalty for pete's sake.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Architect  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Architect in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at HOK Sport

Pros

The projects are cool and highly profiled. The people are great to work with. Most of the senior architects are extremely knowledgeable and are willing to assist the younger staff with questions and direction. The management team is fairly open with news about the firm. Overall - as with most other jobs - if you put forth the effort and work hard, this firm will definitely take care of you.

Cons

Not too many downsides. Although I understand why, I'm not much of a fan of how the practice of architecture and the project roles is segmented into Designer, Project Architect and Project Manager. There's also usually not much rhyme or reason to the promotions.

Thanks for all your hard work. Keep it up!

Last Gasp for a once great firm

Former Employee - Project Architect (formerly)  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Project Architect (formerly) in Kansas City, MO

I worked at HOK Sport

Pros

Working on first class sporting venue projects. The designers had a very distinctive style, that is immediately recognizable as HOK. the division of the office into different "groups" (ie: major league, NFL, Arena, etc) minimizes the giant firm feel. Middle management, the ones tasked with the day to day running of the various groups, tended to be very positive, good people to work for. While I was there, I never had any problem with my immediate project managers or department head. If you don't mind travelling the periodic cattle call for people to go do the punch list on a stadium, or arena can be a great change from staring at a computer screen, as wellas a chance to see the finished project.

Cons

Senior management treats the work force like office equipment; replace the older more expensive ones with the newer, cheaper ones. They have laid off most of the senior production staff starting back in 2003, at first due to lack of work, and or "performance issues". Funny how, after the initial round of layoffs which really did contain the dead wood, those who went were the highest paid in their job classifications. I was personally lied to, by Earl, concerning my termination as I know for a fact that the people I worked for had NOT ONE ISSUE concerning my "performance", that my personel file contained a glowing work review, and not even the director of my group had any idea that I had been slated for a layoff.

Catch a clue, you've shot yourselves in the collective foot by replacing the most experienced staff with young hotshots straight out of school who have no experience and no knowledge. 400 million projects can't be built with kids, you were already averaging 1000-1500 RFI's per project, and that was before you laid off all your senior staff.

Worked for HOK Sport? Contribute to the Community!