HOM Furniture

Operations Manager

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at HOM Furniture full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great local ownership. Great resources. Opportunity for advancement from within, this includes ground floor positions.

Cons

If your not a motivated individual the environment is tough. The company is always looking to improve so standards and expectations are high.

Always be listening to the people that do the job everyday. You have to buy in to your employees before they will buy in to you.

hardwork

I have been working at HOM Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

owners care about the employees

Cons

disorganized and company concentrates on things that are of low value

Terrible pay, bad environment, stepping stone job...

Former Employee - Web Developer  in  Coon Rapids, MN
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Coon Rapids, MN

I worked at HOM Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company name to have on a resume. Some nice people to work with.

Cons

Abysmal pay. Never once felt like an enjoyable place to work. Awful office politics and backstabbing among employees. A number of employees I felt like I was working against as opposed to working with.

Move to an open floor plan in the Marketing area. White boards, tables, etc... Try to work on the community and improve relations between departments.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

VERY stressful environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at HOM Furniture as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I LOVE the customers and interacting with them.

Cons

Its VERY "klicky" and a small group is ALLOWED to sit around in a group during business hours and play games or chat on their phones. Coworkers can be mean and deceitful, stealing customers. Management is incompetent, rude and has an "inner for me" that can do NO WRONG! No matter HOW HARD you work, if YOU aren't in THAT INNER CIRCLE, you will FAIL! You will ALWAYS be on the outside and "beneath" this group... they will gossip about you as you walk by and with THIS environment DAILY, management does NOTHING!

START CLEANING HOUSE AND GETTING MORE COMPETENT MANAGEMENT! STOP the "bully the customer" environment! If a customer doesn't want to buy, don't bully them into signing something! DUH.. WHY do you think your returns are.SO.high? Getanagement to change the work environment or.FIRE.THEM! ITS TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE AND IT STARTS @ THE TOP OF EACH STORE!

I was fortunate to gain experience in Delivery Driving, Isle scanning, Sending the mail from corporate to all other loc.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate II  in  Coon Rapids, MN
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate II in Coon Rapids, MN

I have been working at HOM Furniture full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best reasons to work here is that it gave me the opportunity to gain experience in Delivery Driving. Driving stand up lift , Sitting down fork lift , Isle Scanning to maintain accurate inventory in the warehouse.

Cons

The challenges are to be able to pull pieces of furniture for shipping, prep., and costumer pick up on stand up lift , fast enough. Also, to unload the semi trucks in receiving , for 45 min. , which obviously is for people younger then 35 years of age.

Give opportunities to everybody , don't just put certain people to do one and same thing almost every day .

Great company to grow with

Current Employee - Corporate Offices  in  Coon Rapids, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Offices in Coon Rapids, MN

I have been working at HOM Furniture full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employees are recognized for what they bring to the company and opportunities within management and corporate are almost always filled internally.

Cons

Sales people work Saturday and Sunday every weekend. I know they are working on a way to change this schedule, but for the time being it is hard to balance family events over the weekends. On the flip side you can make great money if you are willing to work weekends.

Every company has room for improvement. HOM's upper management has good business sense and they have strong values regarding customer satisfaction. Soliciting feedback from front line employees would be beneficial. You would be surprised with the great ideas and suggestions they could offer you.

Great company with good business sense.... but you have to be willing to work retail hours

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at HOM Furniture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My coworkers were great, and our team got along well. The owners have a strong business sense and are always looking for new ways to keep the company strong. Most of the managers are very supportive and are willing to do what they can to make you a successful sales person. I would still be working there if I hadn't moved.

Cons

If you want to make the big bucks.... then you are working weekends and evenings.

Get more feedback from employees before changing things. Some times decisions are made and if we had input we could make them even better.

toxic environment, poor management starting at the top

Former Employee - Design Consultant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at HOM Furniture full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Beautiful showrooms, lots of merchandise, will hire you without any experience.

Cons

Management is a bunch of good old boys that need to be taught a thing about leadership, ethics, diversity and respect. They treat you as a number, nothing more. Don't go to HR with any issues, they are part of the poison. Upon being hired, they will quote you income earnings potential for the sales staff, these are always exaggerated earnings that the select few in the mattress department earn, usually double that of the furniture and designers. They will not tell you that an average work week always surpasses 40 hours and you will be required to work 10 and 12 hour days weekly. Forget about holidays, on the 4 days they are closed you usually are required to work an extra day because of a big event. Some events you are scheduled for 15 hours. You will have endless meetings, training, none of which you get paid for as you are a commissioned only sales person. You stay late a 1/2 hour each night to clean the showroom. If you are a designer, you are expected to get after pictures from a client, put together a Hom Furniture design portfolio, use all forms of social meetings on the behalf of Hom furniture, participate in their crazy design contests, go to extra meetings often off site without any pay or milage. All of these things take a lot more time then they say, no pay for the extra hours of work, no extra time off and all of which is expected to be done on your own days off because you have to make your monthly quota and can't leave the floor and don't have access to the internet. Most people do not even take a full break or their vacation because the stress of making their numbers in slow months. They have a hard time getting employees to last, the average turn over rate has been 40-50%. They will want you, and then you are too broke to leave. You are not making the $60,000 they promised but the average $30,000.

Read some books about leadership, ethics, and how to improve moral.

You're appreciated not by what work you do, but by what secrets you are privy to

I worked at HOM Furniture

Pros

Some coworkers were very nice to work with.

Cons

When job cuts are needed, they lay off real workers, and keep contractors and people who know about their boss' affairs from the past, Nuff said!

Open your eyes and see how contractors are milking their position.

stepping stone

I have been working at HOM Furniture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

powerful co. good supply chain. good marketing. average training.

Cons

not much advancement. poor inventory process-inaccurate. old comp software. training?

grow internally. free up managers.

Worked for HOM Furniture? Contribute to the Community!