HOM Furniture

Updated Jun 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rodney Johansen

I was fortunate to gain experience in Delivery Driving, Isle scanning, Sending the mail from corporate to all other loc.

Warehouse Associate II (Current Employee) Coon Rapids, MN

ProsThe best reasons to work here is that it gave me the opportunity to gain experience in Delivery Driving. Driving stand up lift , Sitting down fork lift , Isle Scanning to maintain accurate inventory in the warehouse.

ConsThe challenges are to be able to pull pieces of furniture for shipping, prep., and costumer pick up on stand up lift , fast enough. Also, to unload the semi trucks in receiving , for 45 min. , which obviously is for people younger then 35 years of age.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive opportunities to everybody , don't just put certain people to do one and same thing almost every day .

Great company to grow with

Corporate Offices (Current Employee) Coon Rapids, MN

ProsEmployees are recognized for what they bring to the company and opportunities within management and corporate are almost always filled internally.

ConsSales people work Saturday and Sunday every weekend. I know they are working on a way to change this schedule, but for the time being it is hard to balance family events over the weekends. On the flip side you can make great money if you are willing to work weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery company has room for improvement. HOM's upper management has good business sense and they have strong values regarding customer satisfaction. Soliciting feedback from front line employees would be beneficial. You would be surprised with the great ideas and suggestions they could offer you.

Great company with good business sense.... but you have to be willing to work retail hours

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsMy coworkers were great, and our team got along well. The owners have a strong business sense and are always looking for new ways to keep the company strong. Most of the managers are very supportive and are willing to do what they can to make you a successful sales person. I would still be working there if I hadn't moved.

ConsIf you want to make the big bucks.... then you are working weekends and evenings.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more feedback from employees before changing things. Some times decisions are made and if we had input we could make them even better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

toxic environment, poor management starting at the top

Design Consultant (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsBeautiful showrooms, lots of merchandise, will hire you without any experience.

ConsManagement is a bunch of good old boys that need to be taught a thing about leadership, ethics, diversity and respect. They treat you as a number, nothing more. Don't go to HR with any issues, they are part of the poison. Upon being hired, they will quote you income earnings potential for the sales staff, these are always exaggerated earnings that the select few in the mattress department earn, usually double that of the furniture and designers. They will not tell you that an average work week always surpasses 40 hours and you will be required to work 10 and 12 hour days weekly. Forget about holidays, on the 4 days they are closed you usually are required to work an extra day because of a big event. Some events you are scheduled for 15 hours. You will have endless meetings, training, none of which you get paid for as you are a commissioned only sales person. You stay late a 1/2 hour each night to clean the showroom. If you are a designer, you are expected to get after pictures from a client, put together a Hom Furniture design portfolio, use all forms of social meetings on the behalf of Hom furniture, participate in their crazy design contests, go to extra meetings often off site without any pay or milage. All of these things take a lot more time then they say, no pay for the extra hours of work, no extra time off and all of which is expected to be done on your own days off because you have to make your monthly quota and can't leave the floor and don't have access to the internet. Most people do not even take a full break or their vacation because the stress of making their numbers in slow months. They have a hard time getting employees to last, the average turn over rate has been 40-50%. They will want you, and then you are too broke to leave. You are not making the $60,000 they promised but the average $30,000.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead some books about leadership, ethics, and how to improve moral.

You're appreciated not by what work you do, but by what secrets you are privy to

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome coworkers were very nice to work with.

ConsWhen job cuts are needed, they lay off real workers, and keep contractors and people who know about their boss' affairs from the past, Nuff said!

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and see how contractors are milking their position.

stepping stone

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prospowerful co. good supply chain. good marketing. average training.

Consnot much advancement. poor inventory process-inaccurate. old comp software. training?

Advice to Senior Managementgrow internally. free up managers.

I only lasted one week!

Guest Services (Former Employee) Lakeville, MN

ProsI liked baking cookies in the cookie shop

ConsAll the people were snobby..did not feel welcome..felt like an outcast..one gal in particular is a gossip bully! The training sucks..they kinda throw u out there working a complex computer system. Customers always have complex issues..the phone system and paging system is complex.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a better training program and each store should welcome new employees a little better

A toxic enviroment that is poorly managed

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Lakeville, MN

ProsMeasuables are obtainable but can sometimes be out of your control.
    Average benefits
    Base guarenteed
    Great sales are recognized

ConsWork schedule
    Long hours and overtime are ignored
    Vacation is paid only if you meet your monthly measurables
    Time off is frowned upon no matter when you take it

Advice to Senior ManagementInvestigate the team morale and care enough to make changes when neccessary. Don't allow/ignore bullying and unethical conduct by anyone, including managers. Consider new ideas and suggest changes that would help create a positive work enviroment.

Great Company! Like always, room for improvement!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN

ProsGreat work environment in regards to fellow co-workers and other staff. The company provides christmas bonuses based on time with the company. They have a huge banquet every year for the employees and all around treat employees with respect. HR is very friendly, helpful and assertive. They're also military friendly. I also enjoy how if an issue arises in regards to performance, HOM management is likely to dig into the problem and allow for recourse to happen before rushing to termination.

ConsUnfortunately, the company is not very large, therefore the ability to advance is quite minimal. The pay I felt for the work done in the warehouse is below what it should be given the physical demand of the job. They do typically provide a raise every year, however it barely meets the cost of living increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementApproach your employees and really find out what they think could improve the work environment as well as what they feel is going well or not so well. I just know I respect an authoritative manager more so than an authoritarian one. There is a difference.

Experienced Furniture Sales People Only

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsGood relationships with fellow employees (they made it enjoyable)
    Get two other days off during the week as your weekend since you are required to work Sat./Sun.
    Variety of products to sell, great custom order options, and it is nice that often deliveries can be done next day or pick-ups same day.
    Sales manager was very helpful and always willing to answer questions or find who to ask. Had plenty of useful information.

ConsDo not apply if you do not have experience in commission and/or furniture sales.
    You will be expected to work every weekend and holiday they aren't closed, and if you are used to sales it isn't so bad. If you were a top performer you were fine, if not you may be talked out of taking the time off.
    Store manager did not do as much work as sales manager, and he didn't know some answers to important questions. The sales manager was a lot more valuable, but did not get much for the extra time he put in.
    Morale is low a lot of times.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower delivered sales goal-even the experienced sales people were having issues some months reaching it because it is not realistic anymore.
    Provide better training that doesn't involve so much of sitting in front of the computer.
    Provide more support to guest services because they do A LOT of work helping out the sales people.
    All training should be paid; your employees aren't at the showroom selling, and making up for it. Providing food isn't worth it, or fair, for a non-selling day.
    Mystery Shoppers: I understand they are useful, but it brings down the sales people when they have to wonder: did I just loose out on a big sale because he/she was a fake customer?
    Overhall computer systems, and provide showrooms with newer computers.

Worked for HOM Furniture? Contribute to the Community!