HOSTING

Updated March 2, 2015
3.3

HOSTING CEO Art Zeile
Art Zeile

Pros
  • Bar on campus, free or reduced priced snacks, for the most part you'll work with great colleagues (in 3 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is outstanding (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management fairly non-existent (in 6 reviews)

• Co-leadership between CEO and COO is a great idea - when the business and the operations side of things work independently of each other (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Hosting is a great place to work, the culture and my co-workers are the reason I love going to work each day.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE

I have been working at HOSTING full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The leadership group is constantly looking for ways to improve the culture, offer additional career opportunities, offer certification reimbursements to promote continued education / learning and genuinely wants employee feedback so they can make meaningful long term commitments to retain loyal hardworking employees. Some say they feel leadership changes focus or direction to often however I would counter by saying leadership is always looking for ways to improve by listening to employee feedback and Hosting has seen many great improvements in the last several years. Hosting has a top notch CEO / COO. The executive and upper level management has grown up with the company many of them starting from entry level positions, this is a real plus as they understand the day to day workings and hurdles we face in the trenches each day. The company has many locations across the US but they always try to make sure we feel connected, each office by promoting town halls and fun events coordinated by the HR group and office administrators. It has been a few years since I came on board but I can tell you the attention I recieved during the interview process and the helpful nature from the first interview, new hire process to my first day was the smoothest and most positive experience in my professional career. I can honestly say that my current manager is the best manager I have ever had. While every company has it's ups and downs Hosting is one company I would recommend to not only to acquaintances but to my closest friends.

Cons

Managers are very busy and many times annual reviews are delivered well past the review date.

Continue to listen to your employees.
    Deliver reviews in a more timely manner this feedback is really important.

Mar 2, 2015Recruiting Manager

Thank you for identifying your positive experience with HOSTING. We love that you've mentioned the career growth opportunity and the effort that leadership takes to make sure everyone feels ... More

Great people! Great stepping stone!

I have been working at HOSTING full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to garner experience and build a resume! HOSTING is still a relatively small company, so everyone is afforded the opportunity to wear multiple hats and get experience doing various tasks and responsibilities. This makes it a great step along the way to building up your resume and getting tangible, real-world experience. Unfortunately for HOSTING, this makes it more of a stepping stone than a place where someone can have a long career.

Cons

The future of the company always seems to be unstable as leadership seemingly cannot decide the best course of action for the company and, as such, constantly changes the focus and core services.

Leadership needs to take a long, hard look at the way that things are done at HOSTING. Many of the departments are overworked and understaffed, and this has an undeniable impact on the job satisfaction of employees ... particularly in operations and support.

Mar 2, 2015Recruiting Manager

HOSTING is growing, and you are correct! HOSTING does afford folks the opportunity to grow and gain a lot of valuable experience. Thank you for your tenure to HOSTING.

Great people, good opportunity to learn and grow

Current Employee - Manager in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Manager in Newark, DE

I have been working at HOSTING full-time

Pros

- Great people to work with at all levels
    - Always something to learn
    - Many opportunities to grow personally and professionally
    - Get to play with leading edge technology and not old tech
    - Initiative and dedication gets you noticed and rewarded
    - Healthy culture
    - Leadership is generally transparent with most things
    - Laid back atmosphere, we have fun at work
    - Top notch health benefits and lots of PTO time

Cons

- Can be very challenging to maintain a work-life balance, especially in operations
    - Thin staffing at times
    - Company has had to go through growing pains & acquisition pains
    - Pay is not the best, and sometimes not competitive with the market.
    - At times there is a bit of split brain going on in the direction of the organization
    - Too many priorities to focus on leave things being done instead of done right.
    - All the typical things you might encounter at work.

Get better focused and aligned on the vision, mission and PURPOSE, build a sales organization that can help us grow, improve salaries and continue to take care of your people. I've been generally happy at this company during my time here.

Feb 2, 2015Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review - it is great to get "constructive insight" out there for prospective Hosters!

Can do better elsewhere

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at HOSTING full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Office was nice and quiet.

Flexible hours and time-off. Fairly good benefits.

Most of the people are nice enough.

Seem to have a good handle on data center operations and operations processes.

Cons

Raises are below inflation, a big reason for moving on.

Most of my team had either poor or outdated skills, didn't produce much. Poor performers are not let go. We had a fairly large team and productivity was really poor in my opinion and the team lead and manager seemed to be doing a good at making excuses for everyone to management. Overall quality of our output was poor as well.

Very cliquish between different groups. Culture is touted, but I've worked at several other IT companies with much better culture. Having beer and snacks in the office and contests does not make the culture, just all seems forced. Yes there are good people, but it seems like work, not family which is what I've found elsewhere before.

See the point in saying "good job", but the culture seems to do it whenever some just does their job. It is an IT organization, why email everyone that X did a good job patching a servers, or when we update to a software version 2 years behind what the vendor has released. This says to me we don't usually do this well.

There seems to be a lot of "good job saving this customer" emails that go around as well. It's so many it makes me think support and operations drop the ball a lot. Although, could be because those groups are very thinly stretched.

See a lot of threads about growing pains. The company is almost 20 years old, I do not think this is the issue or should not be an issue as the number of customers really hasn't changed all that much in the past 5 years.

A good number of people that have been there a long time (and many newer), are behind the times on their skills. Doing a lot of things the old way, so the infrastructure and systems are way behind the times. This could be the fact there is no real training or chance to go to any type of conferences or training to keep your skills up to date. There is tuition re-reimbursement, but I'm talking about managers encouraging and being able to send people to training.

Newer folks seem lower-tier with their IT and Engineering knowledge and experience. This is probably due to the pay scales being not so great.

Break-fix, very few proactive projects to make the infrastructure better.

Company direction and team focus seems to switch on a whim.

Career wise there is very little to no possibility of lateral movement, I have not seen an internal job posting in probably a year. This could be due to they don't seem to be hiring anyone aside from sales or marketing. Just look at their job postings. Before the end of last year they were hiring IT folks, now there are no postings and it seems like a couple people leave each week. Not good for a company of around 400 that is heavily geared towards IT.

Software engineering team is siloed and ignores most of the operational issues and requests. Seems completely sales and product focus, very little feedback is obtained from operations before diving into a project. They have taken older systems offline without recreating features that are used frequently in newer systems.

The systems there do not speak to each other (many are outdated as well), so data is a mess and duplicated everywhere. You have to log into 5 or 6 systems a day, all with completely different user interfaces and look and feel.

The mentality seems to be "we can build it better", rather than just save money and start with something off the shelf or open sourced. There is pretty much no automated process to assign networking and that is a core function of being a hosting provider.

Whenever there is a new system put in place, all the data from the old is brought over instead of taking the opportunity to scrub it down and verify.

Not using the good systems they have to their optimal use.

Upper management chimes in and tries to be positive, but it overall feels fake.

The Globalization Effort there means outsourcing support and operations to India.

Managed services or hosting provider?

Outsource software development or by stuff off the shelf no one seems to really know what they are doing.

Invest in your people and systems. Get the IT and people update to date, it is the core of the business.

IPAM for IP management.

So much potential that fell so short

I worked at HOSTING

Pros

Great potential and team was in place to take this company to the next level and really compete to be the best in the business. People had great energy and they were committed to each other. If you build the people, they will build the business.

Cons

Lack of focus, you can't change your vision and mission ever year and expect to actually be the best. You want people to be authentic, but only if it is what you want to hear. Very political for such a small company. The investors should have sold years ago, and they must be kicking themselves now. The company has decreased in value in the last two years, and there is on simple explanation - the leadership. You have burned the bridges with all the people that worked with you in the past and now you have to go and lie to new people who unfortunately will not see your deception until it is too late. Facts are your friend and the facts tell a very sad story for this company. Decrease in value, increase in employee turnover (it is a revolving door when you turn over your entire company every 4 years), increased churn, and constant changing vision hoping something sticks.

Pamlico should sell their interest or do a house cleaning at the top if they have any intention of keeping this company until the multiples turn around. Hard to sell a company with stagnant revenue, decreased value, revolving leadership team, and the evident truth you are trying to cut costs to profitability. An organization will go as a the leader goes, and in this case it is in the toilet.

Hosting is a career speed bump. They will chew you up and spit you out.

Former Employee - Support and Data Center in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Support and Data Center in Louisville, KY

I worked at HOSTING full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They paid me the agreed upon rate for hours worked.

Cons

----------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE: An example of HR's bully tactics right here on glassdoor!

"HOSTING Response

Jan 27, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

I'm really sorry to hear this. While we appreciate your candor here on Glassdoor, I would encourage you to speak with HR at your earliest convenience about your apparent level of unhappiness/discomfort so that they may help you address and remedy your concerns."

TRANSLATION: "Tell us who you are so we can fire you." "apparent" level of unhappiness/discomfort? Can they be any more condescending?

Former colleagues have also told me that management has been "encouraging" employees to write positive reviews on glassdoor! Can they be any more dishonest? Inexcusable.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY: Hosting.com is a career speed bump. Don't bother unless you are really desperate, in which case only use them as a stepping stone to a decent job. They won't be loyal to you in the long run anyway.

My background (So you don't think I'm some idealist with unrealistic expectations):
    Hosting is 1 of 10 IT firms I've worked for in my 20 year career, and the only place I've ever gotten demoted.

On Corporate Culture: Cut-throat and morally bankrupt. You will be stabbed in the back. Probably on the first day. There were more politics and favoritism than in any of my other 9 IT jobs. To elaborate, if you aren't working in Denver or Newark, you will be treated like a second-class citizen. You will be belittled by the 8 different bosses you will have, while they show their Newark/Denver comrades favoritism. Imagine an Internet forum, but in real life.

On Values: The "mission statement" and founding values, or "pillars", as management likes to call them, are marketing nonsense. It's sickening.

On Management Principles: The beatings will continue until morale improves. Management's main "motivation" technique is to give employees "write-ups", formal documents management make employees sign that are essentially termination threats. Each write-up is usually multiple pages, and then you are given all of 2 lines to respond. I recommend using a PDF editor to give yourself more space. Additionally, company-wide emails from individuals in upper management routinely use profanity.

On Management's Reputation with the employees: So bad that a fake twitter account called "Fake Art Zeile" has regular posts championing things like their high turnover rate and horrible treatment of talent. Many current employees follow the account.

On Priorities: Shareholders first. Executive officers second. Customers third. Management fourth. Employees fifth. You will not be treated like a human being, but rather as a commodity.

On Staffing Practices: Management understaffs every department and shift. Then, when something gives, management blames the overworked employees. The sales department sells lies to customers and management blames the people doing all the work; not they themselves or the sales people for lying.

The company's strategy comes down to this: Promise customers things the company doesn't have, but will pretend to provide. When the workforce inevitably can't keep up with the promises, blame the workforce.

On Advancement Opportunities: I guess I can't be too specific or glassdoor will not post my review, but an objective person would see that I usually worked harder and smarter than anyone else in my department, and was treated as a threat to the status quo rather than a valuable asset. They do not value loyalty, hard work, quantity, or quality of work. Unless you're friends with upper management before you work there, or are a really good kiss-up, you're going nowhere fast. I red-lined it every day, many days wondering if I would come in the next day or just quit without notice. My black and white stats were outstanding and I went nowhere, whereas people whose stats were abysmal got promoted.

On Annual Raises: Below inflation. As small as they think they can give you without having you quit. They'll use any excuse to not give you what you deserve.

On Customers: More demanding and less reasonable than any I have had to deal with, and I've worked in 4 other positions where I dealt directly with dissatisfied customers. If you work in support, know that every customer will talk to you as if you are personally responsible for ruining their life. If you hang up on a person that cusses you out or personally threatens you, you will get written up. The customer is ALWAYS right. Unless management, and only management, decides that they're not. Management can have self respect. But you need to just take it. To Hosting, keeping an abusive customer is more important than morale.

Fire yourselves and rethink your lives.

Software Development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at HOSTING full-time

Pros

Your opinions and contributions are heard and valued.
    They are also acted upon pretty quickly. Be prepared for that.
    The executives share offices and are all friendly and approachable.
    Relaxed, productive environment.

Cons

There is a lot of work to do and it can be easy to get spread thin.

Keep on listening and interacting with employees.
    More Holidays!

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Manager

Happy New Year to you- and thank you for your opinion here. We're happy to hear that you're appreciating the ability to engage and be heard and we appreciate your passion and level of commitment.

Horrible CEO

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at HOSTING

Pros

Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing

Cons

Art Zeile is literally the most incompetent & narcissistic CEO I have ever seen. He has had over 16 VP's and above quit on him within the last 2+ years. He loves data and regurgitates meaningless minutia. Hosting has not grown for 2 years now because Art has not clue what to do. All he does is go on trips, build his own brand and screw up the company when he gets involved. He acquired Neospire 3 years ago and today all most all the customers are gone today. It was a complete disaster. Art is an idiot. The board knows it. His management team knows it. but no one does anything about it. I had to right this review because i have worked here for several years now and very few people have stood up and told the truth. Art only cares about himself. Behind closed doors Art is a dirt bag! And Joel and the board knows it

Sell the company and give hope to the employees and customers by getting Art out of there

Jan 27, 2015Recruiting Manager

good but could have been better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at HOSTING full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the smartest and nicest people I've ever met work at HOSTING... By infusing the organization with some real solid HIPAA compliance experts, they have made great strides to create buzz in the medical privacy industry. They have phenomenal benefits and do their best to integrate the multiple data center sites into a single unified organization. Their customer focused training is top notch and the benefits offered are great as well.

If they like you and you do well but aren't completely happy with where you are, they will do their best to find a place more fitting for you. However, if you do not do well, you do not have much leeway before they replace you with someone else and you won't have the opportunity to take a different position within the organization.

HOSTING fully stands behind it's values and the employees are trained to be watchdogs to ensure everyone around them is operating at the same level of intensity and integrity. It's pretty amazing to watch that business honor code in action.

Cons

the way the organization is structured - half rolling up to the COO and half running up to the CEO doesn't always work when you have initiatives being driven by one half or the other... For some processes, there is not a standard way of doing things - mainly because many of the data centers came to HOSTING via acquisition - instead of organically growing from within...

Instituting a once a year all company meeting would be a great way to instill common goals and processes as well as build company unity and pride.

Pick a universal CRM/tracking system and get everyone in every department to use it.. There are still way too many redundant systems and processes... Everything should be simple, quick and easy - from quoting to resolving customer issues - 'tis better to feel minimal pain now instead of excruciating pain later.

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Manager

I always love to see comments of working with smart and nice people! Agreed, we have a great team- our team is our customer and I'm so glad you enjoyed our top-notch WOW customer training - thank ... More

Awesome working environment and co-workers

I have been working at HOSTING full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best part about HOSTING is the people. It has been a tremendous benefit to work with such a smart and dedicated group -- from the C-level down.

Cons

It would be great to have a bit more energy in the office. Sometimes it feels like we're all cloistered in our cubicles.

Get rid of the cubes!

Dec 19, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review. We're so happy to hear that you are enjoying working here. We agree, we hire great people here at HOSTING. We love to see smart and dedicated people collaborating to achieve ... More

HOSTING Photos