HOSTING

Art Zeile

positive

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at HOSTING full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood atmosphere, work hard, play hard

Consa little too much rediection

Advice to Senior Managementmaintain the culture

The Best Culture I Have Experienced

Director (Current Employee)
Newark, DE

I have been working at HOSTING full-time for less than a year

ProsThe culture within this organization is the best I have ever experienced. The leaders and managers live and breath servant leadership and they promote a great work hard play hard mentality. These people care about what they do and even spread across the country the they work together like they are all in a single location as one big family.

ConsGrowing quickly means there are growing pains, but they work hard to make sure those are as minimal as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up what you are doing, driving this culture equals the success of the organization.

Mar 19, 2014

Thanks for your kind words! It's great to hear that our employees feel like our culture is awesome, and that it continues to be cultivated through the growing pains. We love that you love it here!

Change is the name of the game.....

Director (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at HOSTING full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat, great people.... some of the smartest I've ever met and had the pleasure of working with side-by-side. Generally high customer satisfaction scores. WOW! service appreciated by internal and external customers. Great perks. Growing industry... Lots of opportunity to contribute and make a difference. They take their core values seriously - and employees are empowered to call out and coach others who do not meet universally expected standards.

They have a great vision of what the company can do in the marketplace. their execs are often speaking at conferences, or leading webinars.... HOSTING has a great marketing team...

ConsDefinite culture differences and attitudes depending on the office you work in and if you came in via acquisition or not. No single centralized unifying system for customer information used - instead, each department, each office using multiple systems.... makes it challenging to quickly do anything. Even for generating a quote for new business can easily take up to 2 weeks..... that is not scalable.

While politics in general are frowned upon, collaboration and initiative between departments can be challenging.... and issues can arise from conflicting priorities..... especially when escalated up the food chain. No single ultimate voice determining direction. Co-leadership between CEO and COO is a great idea - when the business and the operations side of things work independently of each other.... When they don't, sometimes finding a solution that works for everyone can be challenging.

My experience was that several departments were more concerned with resource planning/accountability ("not my job") instead of creating programs/services which ultimately benefit the customer.....

different attitudes from CEO side vs COO side of the company..... can be challenging to build rapport and agreement to move major initiatives forward.

Multiple departments "reinvent" themselves yearly. Most people I knew who worked at HOSTING before I did, were let go within a year of starting. Their positions were reimagined or cut and new ones were created....

Advice to Senior Managementtwo minds need to become one. different work styles and dischordant goals between operations and executives is challenging to those whose job it is to execute your vision.

Mar 3, 2014

Thanks for your feedback, it has been received and will be taken into consideration. Embracing change is part of our values and our team understands this can be challenging for some folks. We're ... More

Fun and Challenging

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at HOSTING full-time for more than a year

ProsIt has been said already, but lots of free food, cheap/free snacks, and there is a bar. Some teams have a lot of freedom to have fun around the office. In Denver, there are often Nerf gun wars that break out across the floor. Some groups have an offsite 1-2 times per year where they all go somewhere and do some team building for a couple of days. The software engineering group is constantly growing, not afraid to try new things and always welcome collaboration. In addition we have a week every year where we stop working on what we normally would be working on, and work on something fun for a week (like a hackathon).

ConsBased on some internal reporting, the Engineering group is typically the happiest within the company, but other groups maintain that the constant strategy changes, and over-reliance on the sales team to deliver big numbers is stressful and unproductive. As others have said, the C level executives had said that they would work to improve salaries, but as far as I know that has not happened yet. There is also frustration around restructuring across various departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more and follow through. Seek more feedback from the worker ants.

Feb 10, 2014

Thanks for posting your comments. We love hearing that you are enjoying being part of our work hard, play hard environment. That passion and innovation is demonstrated, especially on our Software ... More

Fast paced, always changing and moving forward!

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at HOSTING full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat colleagues, fun environment and great work environment including free snacks, a beer fridge, ping pong, darts, events and the list goes on. A high level of emphasis is put on support, uptime and the customer. A lot of companies talk about Support, HOSTING actually walks it. Employees are always willing to jump in a help out no matter if it is an issue, training or giving back to the community. Overall it is a fun place to work but like any company there are issues. However, management does not shy away and jumps in to help drive resolution to resolve them.

ConsLack of communication is a big issue. For a tech company fast, easy response should be the norm and it is not. HOSTING also has a little bit of an identity crisis but is working hard to figure out who it is and how to tell that story.

Advice to Senior ManagementSolicit more input from all the staff, fi

Feb 10, 2014

We've got your back! We're working hard, both in strategy and in practice, to make sure our team members know that. We have a great team at HOSTING and we know it takes all of us to do what we do ... More

A leader, and potential visionary, in the Cloud Service Provider industry

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at HOSTING full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHOSTING delivers an above average customer/employee experience. Tremendous attention to customer satisfaction in an industry where service providers receive daily scrutiny around experience.

ConsHOSTING needs to focus/define what makes them unique in a highly crowded Cloud Service Provider space. The perception of Commoditization is one that continues to plague HOSTING. With a little packaging and focus, HOSTING has the potential to carve out a niche in the Cloud Service Provider space that will fuel significant growth through 2014 and beyond.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have done a good job focusing on culture and developing employees. I would say you are on the 40 yard line and putting together a nice offensive drive. Stick to the plan and stay the course regarding employee development and culture and you will be rewarded.

Thoughtfully consider what could make HOSTING unique and exclusive in the Cloud Service Provider space. Playing catch up to the larger cloud providers will only lump you into a category of hundreds or thousands of other Cloud Service Providers whom have no unique value.

HOSTING has an opportunity to capture vertical specificity and market demand. Define your focus, refine and evangelize your message, and stay the course.

Over Promise, Under Deliver

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HOSTING full-time for more than a year

ProsNice office and everyone is really nice on the surface. There's a bar on campus but lets be honest, do you really want to stay late on a Friday and extend your work week just to enjoy a cocktail with your colleagues. No micro-management (for the most part).

ConsThe office had a good vibe until the bottom fell out. Some key management roles were eliminated late in the year sending the strategy of this organization in a tail spin that will likely not be recovered for a long time. Hosting services are way over priced and the professional service offering is minimal. Management continually praised the agility and flexibility of the organization to meet customers needs but they aren't able to even define the strengths of the offering much less create a custom solution. While they have made some major improvement in the way of implementation they are not keeping up with the pace of major competitors. They clout themselves to compete with RackSpace but Hosting can't come close to competing on any level.

The sales commission plan is the worst iv'e ever seen so don't plan on hitting your numbers and making any real money. The quotas are unattainable unless you are one of the reps that's getting spoon fed good leads and existing clients. Everyone else is a hunter so expect to work hard and create your now pipeline. Which you will do entirely on your own because they have a minimal marketing budget and name recognition is null.

The issues appear to stem from poor leadership at the top and a lack of investment into the growth of the organization. They appear to lack the fortitude to set a plan and stick with it. They constantly talk a big game but can't execute on the delivery. It's too bad because the market is prime for an organization like Hosting to hit the market running and create some real success.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour shotgun approach to conducting business is not working. Make a plan and stick with it. Your'e not going to see your efforts payoff unless you completely execute a solid strategy. Quit trying to reinvent square wheel every three months. Spend more money on marketing, trade shows, conferences and building brand recognition.

Lots of flash, but no real thanks

Office Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at HOSTING full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery laid back atmosphere and flexible managers

Conslots of distractions from actual work, low pay, high turnover so your team constantly changes

Advice to Senior ManagementGive benefits your employees will actually appreciate, i.e. better wages, better benefits. Being allowed to drink on the job or have all the free candy and sodas I want is not a perk that will keep me at a job.

Great company culture!

I have been working at HOSTING for more than 5 years

ProsThe culture and environment at HOSTING are incredible. The company has a laid back atmosphere and really goes out of its way to promote fun.

ConsCompensation at HOSTING is not what it should be. The company frequently fails to retain top notch talent because of the fact that many people are paid well below industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend bringing compensation within market value for every position. This is one way to ensure that you truly have the industry's best team.

Is it possible to right this ship?

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at HOSTING full-time for more than 5 years

ProsState of the art data centers.

Although before acquisition they were paid for by the company; benefits are quite good.

Flexible schedule and ability to telecommute when necessary.

People really do care and work hard for the customers.

People are generally happy.

Overtime weeks.

Challenging environment.

Exposure to diverse IT environments, which gains you a lot of experience.

Alot of smart folks to ask questions when you don't have an answer.

ConsEmployee churn high, a lot of good people let go or leaving recently.

There used to be a day when good people were moved to other roles to set them up for success if they were not working out. Now it just seems sink or swim.

Training is fairly non-existent.

Absent upper management. Quarterly, town hall calls, and an occasional "Thanks for fixing this for a customer" email.

Fairly poor salaries for the industry. If I was willing to commute an hour plus to Philly or Baltimore, I would easily make 25-30 percent more. However, Delaware is not really a tech hot bed (unless you want to work at a bank), so another job in the state would be more like 10 percent.

Too many generalist IT roles, meaning too many, know a little about a lot and expert of none types and roles. No MS Sql server, MySql, Exchange or Active Directory admins on staff. Too much, you know some SQL, you're the DBA now, or you like email, Exchange is yours. Shocking for how many internal and customer installations we have of these products. Virtualization group is one of the few exceptions.

Some job roles seem to just be made up to promote people looking to go somewhere.

Complex and time consuming quoting, ordering, provisioning and delivery process, with little or poor automation and support systems.

Software development efforts are a free for all. While having a full development staff, it seems every group develops software or has "their own" systems, which makes getting support for them and identifying ownership difficult.

Customer data in several locations makes it difficult to support customers.

Pretty impossible to get a bug fixed in most software, particularly some of the legacy systems, which often still impact customers.

Takes days to get IP addresses allocated.

Takes days to get firewalls configured and racked.

Takes days for a simple solution to get provisioned completely.

Not enough personnel for some of the workloads. Difficult to get new head count mid-year.

Difficult to get good new hire candidates because of the location and salary ranges. Some good resumes are cast aside knowing salary can't be met.

While very smart and IT savvy, not many IT professional types. More script kiddies that got a job one day cause mom said so.

A lot of people here seem unmotivated to go beyond their current career/situation. There are a lot of 9-5ers who have been here a long time in the same roles.

Hourly pay rates, makes you feel like a fast food worker. I know very few IT people elsewhere on an hourly rate.

Good number of introverts and cliques.

Office space is dull even after a redo, would have been nice to spend the money on a move to a more progressive, warm and modern building. Low cubes make a lot of noise from the support folks who are almost always answering calls. Break room has a kindergarten gymnasium feel with the lighting.

Culture is played up, but little goes on beyond 9-5. Who would want to hang out in a gymnasium?

No way for customers to order from our web site. Only an outdated sales quote form that was done in FrontPage.

Old workstations and laptops. I think mine is almost 4 years old.

No real innovation going on since there is no real direction aside from having a fast cloud.

Finally, I brought myself to do a review after finding out that some time ago, after a few bad reviews made here, someone in management asked a few select people to do a review (which I can only assume they thought would offer favorable opinions of Hosting). Now they are touting how they were picked in the top 50 in a list from this site.

To me this seems unethical, whether or not those individuals were pressured to do a good review or not. I was on the fence before, but this, alongside some of the recent layoffs of some really good people pushed me to the other side.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more vocal and present in day to day life.

Culture is something that just happens with a clear vision for the brand and a little encouragement.

Make the company products, focus, direction and message distinctly clear. Aside from a fast cloud, I’m not really sure where we are headed.

Create a complete customer experience, not just a relationship, and not just from the customer standpoint. Understand the employee experience as well, if not better.

Aside from the successes and subsequent high-fives, point out failures in a positive manner as a mechanism to encourage a, "we can do better attitude".

Playing catch-up with the industry and throwing things on the wall to see what sticks is how so many products made their way into the mix. One stop catch-all IT hosts are a thing of the past. Define a clear product set and segment of the market and attack that subset.

This seems to be a trend with many hosts out there now and it makes sense since IT is so complex and diverse now. There’s no way a host can cater to a diverse group in the market by offering a wide range of services and have it scale to any extent. DigitalOcean being a prime example.

Worked for HOSTING? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HOSTING reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HOSTING CEO Art Zeile. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by HOSTING employees.