HOYA Vision Care

Great company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at HOYA Vision Care full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the fellow employees are great love the hours Mon- Fri 8am-5pm with a hour lunch. the management is friendly and willing to address any issues you have

Cons

Some employees get special treatment. the employees that lack training are just left there to have other employees pick up the slack. Lack of Appreciation for employees that are willing to go the extra mile. Morale seems low in certain departments.

get rid of the dead weight. Have more encouragement. Better pay will boost morale quite a bit.

So awful there isn't enough room to list all the reasons why.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

I worked at HOYA Vision Care full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked full-time (as an hourly employee) at the N.A. headquarters in Lewisville, TX

- Great product that seems to garner a lot of respect internationally
    - The hourly employees are incredible to work with. Great people with great spirits, despite the circumstances.
    - (For hourly at least) The work day ends when you clock out. Very rare chance of working late or over the weekends.

Cons

Oh where to begin...

- My direct supervisor had NO management training whatsoever. She was promoted from an entry-level position which required no degree to a MANAGEMENT position with two subordinates. No training was involved and she was essentially given free reign of the department because her boss (the director) "didn't want to get involved" in the day-to-day. From what I've learned, promoting an unqualified individual to management is not a one-time occurrence.
    - Their benefits and pay are absolutely ridiculous. You have to work a FULL YEAR to receive any paid vacation days and once you do, you are given 3 vacation days and 2 "floating holidays". If you miss the day before or after a holiday, EVEN IF YOU USE A VACATION DAY, you are not paid for the holiday. You also cannot use your "floating holiday" after November 30th. I didn't find this out until I took the day off before a holiday.
    - There is little to no communication between departments. For some reason, the purchasing manager is intimately involved with the marketing department, yet there is zero communication between them. How does this work? Essentially, both departments handle projects their own way without involving each other. When the entire thing blows up, they take turns blaming each other.
    - HR is an absolute joke. I went into HR to complain about the outrageous and inappropriate behavior of my manager (gossiping about her superiors, racist jokes, inappropriate comments about co-workers) and was told I had to go to her boss first before I was allowed to file a formal complaint. When I did, her boss shut me down (as expected). I've heard from multiple people HR has a habit of not only telling a manager when their subordinates are complaining, but warning the upper-management before a formal complaint can be filed. I know for a fact one individual was fired for filing a complaint against their manager.
    - Speaking of inappropriate behavior, two of the three HR representatives (including the director) regularly takes lunches with managers of various departments. Conveniently, the departments where managers are routinely complained about without consequence.
    - The pay is unlivable while upper-management/executives are able to afford high-dollar lunches every day and spend ungodly amounts of money on FURNITURE. To my knowledge, no hourly employees had received a pay raise in over 3 years, despite multiple inquiries.
    - If you work at headquarters, you'll be working right outside executive offices, including that of the CEO, CMO and CFO. They will barely acknowledge your existence if you are hourly.

Train your managers. If someone is in charge of another person's career, they should have some guidance on how to actually communicate to another human being without talking down, being condescending, flat out screaming in the hallways or gossiping behind their inferiors' backs.

Optical lab tech

I have been working at HOYA Vision Care

Pros

There is a good group of core employees. If your willing to learn and move around with the work you can become a called team player.

Cons

Lots of talking and not a lot of doing. Poor communication from management. Letting some people do thing and then letting others take the fall.

Get your act together and treat everyone the same no favoritism

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HOYA Vision Care, NA: Going the Wrong Direction - A Company in Disarray

Current Employee - Sales Management
    Current Employee - Sales Management

I have been working at HOYA Vision Care full-time

Pros

Internationally, HOYA has been a leader in product technology,

Cons

In America standards have been lowered concerning both lab and AR technology resulting in an increase of quality issues and customer complaints. Today, HOYA is more of a follower than a leader in the industry.

The company heavily practice’s favoritism, some employees are grossly overpaid while the majority are underpaid with little hope of change. HOYA has a long history of not providing raises/salary adjustments - stating (year after year), “it’s just not in the budget”! Recent senior management changes have brought individuals with a limited understanding of the vision care industry to the table.

Hard to recommend this company to a friend - As stated by others, I'm also not optimistic about the outlook for HOYA with the present level of North American management

American management is fraught with issues. I challenge Japanese management to take over the day-to-day operations of HOYA Vision Care, N.A.

Decent Pay Lots of Overtime

I have been working at HOYA Vision Care

Pros

They have a decent pay rate. If your interested in overtime to get a little extra cash then this is a good thing.

Cons

You will work a lot of saturdays. They don't always give you raises every year even if you work your butt off.

Great place to work

I worked at HOYA Vision Care

Pros

flexible, competitive salary, fun atmosphere

Cons

heavy hours during audit, limited communication with upper management

An organization that is lacking communication and direction

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at HOYA Vision Care for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent technology and product portfolio.

Cons

Direction and management is lacking drive as they are all hear retirement. Way too much red tape

eventful

Current Employee - Surface  in  Columbia, IL
    Current Employee - Surface in Columbia, IL

I have been working at HOYA Vision Care full-time for less than a year

Pros

the peopleare nice to work with,

Cons

not enough work hours,promise 40hrs getting 25 per week.

be better prepared

Employees are not valued.

Former Employee - Finance  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Finance in Dallas, TX

I worked at HOYA Vision Care

Pros

They paid average market salary. The offices were well kept. The offices are located conveniently near a major highway and the airport.

Cons

The management is poorly trained and only promoted by seniority, not by the level of competence. Supervisors heavily practice favoritism.

Provide all employees in supervisor positions with extensive management training. Develop sound and consistent office policies to regulate granting vacation days, promoting employees, and maintaining a pleasant work environment.

The best company to work for in the United States.

Former Employee - Line Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Line Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at HOYA Vision Care

Pros

This company really cares about their employees. They have great benefits and a liberal vacation policy. They also train their people in the best methods of producing eye wear. The customer always comes frist for this organization. A bunch of customers got to go on a 2 week vacation give to Greece one year!

Cons

It is a little hard working for a Japanese company while in the United States because of the language differences, but this was overcome by taking Japanese classes.

Continue to push ahead. You guys have the best insight into the market and how to beat the competition.

Worked for HOYA Vision Care? Contribute to the Community!