HPS

Jeff Bak

Growing Pains (?)

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGrowing company
    People in general are committed to doing a good job
    Family atmosphere
    Sr Management is generally open to bringing in new talent/new ideas

ConsMgmt still operates with a "mom and pop" mentality (1000 employees - and growing)
    Little to no formal professional development offered (growing existing talent)
    Little to no emphasis on leadership training and accountability for people (beyond the numbers)

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership training and support (re: how to lead, how to coach and give feedback to employees, diversity)
    Be more proactive in hiring, developing, and technology application

No opportunities, no respect

Programmer\analyst (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsPeople in other departments outside IT seem fairly happy. Most employees are pretty friendly.

ConsManagement is clueless and play favorites. They say if you take classes they'll give you opportunities to use those skills - not true. They say they want to hear your ideas - not true. They claim to provide opportunities to join other teams - not true.

Even though the economy is bad employees are leaving for other jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire experienced management, not friends and relatives who aren't qualified. Management should be experienced to recognize the obviously bad ways IT is run.

Easy to get hired but no training provided

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsEasy to get hired, salary + commission, paid to get my insurance license, many positions available, and friendly coworkers

ConsDeceptive promotion and bonus practices, micro-management philosophy, most employees are dissatisfied with their current job role and/or pay so it makes it harder to do a good job in your role, management frequently change compensation plans prevent employees from making a good living and having stability, major cutbacks in health insurance and retirement benefit plans, tuition reimbursement programs are laughable and training for each position is minimal making it hard to excel

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some great hardworking and friendly people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsHPS provided an opportunity for a growth role that would have benifited the company. Efforts, however were stymied by lack of strategic budget to execute real process/systems improvements.
    Senior Management in my area was excellent, but overall company leadership seems to flounder when it comes to building and executing a five year plan.
    Work was conventional, and there is a lot of it if you want to make an impact.

ConsSystems modernization is absent. The spending on new customer onboarding eats into the profitability. New management hires are dligently working towards efficiency goals, but commitment for capital funding is not present.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommit to capital outlay for system refactoring
    Embrace Analytics as a need, product offering and fund it appropriately
    Upgrade Project execution and measurement

HPS

Director (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

Prossmall employer feel and flexibility,

Consnepotism is a problem in some areas

Advice to Senior Managementtoo much trust in senior management by the executives. need fresh senior leadership with other ideas

UltraHPS

IT Developer (Current Employee)

ProsWithin the context of healthcare reform, this is a good industry to be in as there is and will be plenty of work to do. Colleagues are friendly, pleasant and good to work with. Promotional opportunities are available to technical staff that exhibit leadership and are willing to step into a managerial role. For strictly technical roles work for home possibilities and flexible in-office hours may be provided for those who have been working for awhile. Also, I find that there is more vacation time than most places where I have worked.

New technical leadership came aboard in mid-2011, breathing new life into the organization. Technically speaking, if you are looking to make a difference within this organization, seek out the “new group.” When you see a Java related offering (ironically not internally advertised) you are on the right track.

ConsA majority of existing full time employees are pigeon-holed into maintaining current systems, while a new group has taken control of innovation and technical direction beginning in mid-2011. This has prompted top technical and managerial talent to leave for other opportunities, while the new group slowly and quietly produces alternatives to existing systems.

I can attest to the lack of merit increases over the past years and the unspoken 50 hour / work week rule introduced in March 2012 (although not enforced), as it assumed that you will be working for the good of the company.

Introduced in December 2012, is the XNB (expense non-billable) problem where people are strongly encouraged to do strictly billable work, leaving new and existing problems to stagnate. Unfortunately, problems do not magically disappear that way.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough you have a good plan and an optimistic outlook for the future, take a look at the quotes from the founders of this organization written within our stairwells. Most of those sayings no longer apply. My advice to you is make this place an awesome place to work at like it once was. Since we are at the “bottom of the U” we can only go up from here.

good

Prosgood management and benefits for employees

Consbusy work load and bureacracy

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Interesting but challenging

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

Proswell paid and reasonbale attitudes

ConsChallenging work and long hours

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Fast paced corporate environment.

ProsLots of oppurtunities for those that have the right amount of energy and desire. There is room to grow, applly your ideas and see them take root.

ConsYou need to keep up with demanding changes in priority. The project managment and business priority process is contantly changing.

might be a good start in sales career

ProsGood company culture, honest company, good work ethics. Great people to work with. Residuals are paid on time. Publicly owned company.

Cons100% commission plan, No real benefits, 401K plan is a joke. No lead system. Constant policy changes from the corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective when you are hiring new people. That would direcly solve the high employee turn around rate. More management involvement.

Worked for HPS? Contribute to the Community!