HPS

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Bak

Insurance Agent 15+ years Experience

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsExcellent Company, Management is great! Colleagues are hard working (most of them) They offer great benefits and are very much family oriented.
    I have noticed with this company that most of the people that complain about every little thing and the people that are never happy with the work load " No Matter What" In most cases, it's because these individuals don't like to work hard. They are looking to come to work to chitchat and get paid for doing nothing. They want high salaries, high commissions, but they don't want to work hard.
    I know for a fact that if you are a hard worker, you give this company 100% while at work (like an employee should) They are more than fair to you.

I left the company due to a life threatening illness, If I were healthy I would love to be there!!! I worked very hard, had fun with the many activities the company organized for the Employees. I do miss co-workers and the company. They are wonderful!

ConsThey do need to be more organized and they need to setup better training program.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the people that bring down the department's morale with there constante complaining, bad attitude, etc.
    Set up a better training program, have a master training manual and have each new employee sign off on each area / part once they have finished training. That way everyone has the same training, you have proof that it was taught and when everyone is being trained the same way there is less chance of an E&O.

good

Prosgood management and benefits for employees

Consbusy work load and bureacracy

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Laid Back Environment

Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsWork Schedule/Telecommute, stable employment, nice coworkers, growing company.

ConsLower than average pay. No drive for change. Projects not well thought out.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees within the regional median.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Potential

Tampa, FL

ProsExcellent People, many hardworking professionals investing 100% of their skills.Great potential to become a fortune 500 company.

ConsCompensation could be better, no incentives, wrong people in leadership positions, could be a career killer if you fall in the hands of the wrong manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider better compensation or incentives for employees with a long commute having to travel back and forth between Frontage and Lakeview Locations.

Growing Pains (?)

ProsGrowing company
    People in general are committed to doing a good job
    Family atmosphere
    Sr Management is generally open to bringing in new talent/new ideas

ConsMgmt still operates with a "mom and pop" mentality (1000 employees - and growing)
    Little to no formal professional development offered (growing existing talent)
    Little to no emphasis on leadership training and accountability for people (beyond the numbers)

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership training and support (re: how to lead, how to coach and give feedback to employees, diversity)
    Be more proactive in hiring, developing, and technology application

Fast paced corporate environment.

ProsLots of oppurtunities for those that have the right amount of energy and desire. There is room to grow, applly your ideas and see them take root.

ConsYou need to keep up with demanding changes in priority. The project managment and business priority process is contantly changing.

UltraHPS

IT Developer (Current Employee)

ProsWithin the context of healthcare reform, this is a good industry to be in as there is and will be plenty of work to do. Colleagues are friendly, pleasant and good to work with. Promotional opportunities are available to technical staff that exhibit leadership and are willing to step into a managerial role. For strictly technical roles work for home possibilities and flexible in-office hours may be provided for those who have been working for awhile. Also, I find that there is more vacation time than most places where I have worked.

New technical leadership came aboard in mid-2011, breathing new life into the organization. Technically speaking, if you are looking to make a difference within this organization, seek out the “new group.” When you see a Java related offering (ironically not internally advertised) you are on the right track.

ConsA majority of existing full time employees are pigeon-holed into maintaining current systems, while a new group has taken control of innovation and technical direction beginning in mid-2011. This has prompted top technical and managerial talent to leave for other opportunities, while the new group slowly and quietly produces alternatives to existing systems.

I can attest to the lack of merit increases over the past years and the unspoken 50 hour / work week rule introduced in March 2012 (although not enforced), as it assumed that you will be working for the good of the company.

Introduced in December 2012, is the XNB (expense non-billable) problem where people are strongly encouraged to do strictly billable work, leaving new and existing problems to stagnate. Unfortunately, problems do not magically disappear that way.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough you have a good plan and an optimistic outlook for the future, take a look at the quotes from the founders of this organization written within our stairwells. Most of those sayings no longer apply. My advice to you is make this place an awesome place to work at like it once was. Since we are at the “bottom of the U” we can only go up from here.

Disconnect between executive strategy and ability to implement change.

(Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsGood pay and benefits.
    Most employees are great to work with and they have proactive ideas.
    Great location.
    Challenging work. Never boring.
    Growing industry.

ConsInternal customers are not well-served by IT.

Training is not adequate.

Employees are frustrated because they cannot improve processes. They can only deal with recurring problems.

External customers are frustrated because projects are delayed and employees cannot help them.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutives - If you want to understand the issues affecting revenue and customer dissatisfaction, try the following:

1. Attend some project meetings.

2. Sit with some employees while they tackle daily responsibilities. Try to use the software tools that are available.

3. Ask middle management how this environment is different from their previous experiences and why they were able to succeed there.

Strategies are just wishlists if they cannot be implemented.

Losing lots of good people, knowledge, and experience.

IT Department (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsEnjoy working with my co-workers, even though we feel stressed and over whelmed. My supervisor is doing the best that she can under the circumstances and our division VP is great to work with and for and is very fair. Other senior management only watches out for themselves and their own well being and often cut off their nose to spite their face.

ConsRecent sharp decline in employee morale. Budget constraints are calling for a potential hiring freeze, letting people go, and closing out open requisitions. Expectation is that the same or increased workload is to be handled by current employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the people leaving the company and identify why. Their skills, industry knowledge, and experience is walking out the door with them.

Interesting but challenging

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

Proswell paid and reasonbale attitudes

ConsChallenging work and long hours

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for HPS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HPS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HPS CEO Jeff Bak. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by HPS employees.