HSBC Bank USA

HSBC Bank USA Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 31, 2014

HSBC Bank USA Chief Executive Officer Irene Dorner

Irene Dorner

Pros
  • For most people, work life balance is probably the best thing about working here (in 52 reviews)

• Be careful work life balance and work from home are determined by the department head (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance with global timezones (in 12 reviews)

• cronyism, lack of diversity, not upholding mission statement by senior management (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights
94 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Strong company in challenging US environment

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGlobal footprint and client base offers HSBC the right to win. It's global trade opportunities are unrivaled. Strong capital base provides the necessary foundation for growth. Good focus on strategy and execution.

ConsUS market continues to be a challenge with some hangover / distraction left over from financial crisis. There continues to be some contraction in the workforce. Regulatory environment and adherence to settlement agreement takes a lot of energy and focus.

Competitive pay, absolutely awful culture, bland, a company comprised of all nameless/faceless middle management types

Vice President, Premier Relationship Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI found that HSBC paid more handsomely than other global banks in the same tier. When I worked there, they were more liberal with employee expenses than other comparable banks.

ConsBe prepared to be micromanaged. It is corporate culture at it's worst, don't know if that stems from being a British bank or just weak management. It seemed like it was a company comprised of all middle management types, not a ton of all stars there, not very inspiring. The culture predicates you must look out for yourself, even if it's at the expense of a colleague. There is a lot of button pushing. At times, I felt like management was more concerned about completing menial activity tracking tasks as opposed to actually generating revenue. You have a role and you are expected to only act within said role. There is no allowance for creativity, thinking outside the box, or taking an entrepreneurial role to your job. Very rigid structure, everybody just tries to manage up, which is ironic bc everybody seems to be a low level manager. People there work scared. Major disconnect between the various divisions of the bank.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better management. Stop accepting all the fake smiles of your employees. Figure out why so many of your employees are unhappy working there.

Policy is to fire employees just before bonus time.

Senior Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey have more money than god, and you can swing a really big bat if you get your needs aligned with the Bank.

ConsThe equity area were total people users. I was amazed when I got the pink slip just before bonus time. It is apparently the corporate policy. I got a lawyer, and he had 6 other clients, all suing HSBC for the same thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to manage more. Bureaucracy is so dense as to be impenetrable.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked and underpaid experience.

Operations Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLearned a great deal about listed derivatives (futures and options), trade life cycle, got to collaborate with some talented and knowledgeable people. Core leave policy was also a nice excuse to take a 2 week vacation.

ConsPoor management of their human capital, unwillingness to add headcount where it was urgently needed, increase in workload and decrease in bonus with no raises for 3 straight years, so essentially I was taking on more work and responsibility for less pay. On top of that, they were not willing to support my career aspirations (project management training) since it did not directly relate to futures. Got a taste of what it was like to be in a dictatorial regime.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your employees and listen to their concerns. A happy and satisfied employee = a more productive employee.

Overally satisfied experience with the company

Relationship Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork/life balance, great benefits package. Given a lot of opportunities to take on responsibilities. Need to Travel a lot. But overall, I like the company and the culture.

ConsCompensation is not that great compared to similar banks. Travel sometimes can make life tired. Not much opportunities for promotion to higher positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore onboard training should be provided to help new employees familiar with the company and position more quickly.

International focus bank with poor technology

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsInstant International brand recognition and well received international bank

ConsPoor technology here in the US. Alot of micro managing. Reduce health benefits every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementHired mid-level managers to micro manage like crazy. These mid-level managers try to cover their own behind by throwing whoever they can under the bus.

Making simple "complex"

Senior Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsDirect manager level is excellent and there is a genuine desire (if you push for it) for opportunities that are lateral.
    Work / Life is you are in regulatory is not a benefit (long hours + 12 hour days).
    Direct teams are generally friendly, good work atmosphere and work as a team

ConsThere is a lack of fact based decision making at SVP levels and regional heads that creates extreme confusion and complexity in how teams deliver that is politically / self driven. This makes is very difficult for those actually doing the work to meet regulatory deadlines.
    Lack of integration regionally to global (and vice versus) over complicates our approach which leads to multiple teams with multiple different approaches (which then change on a monthly basis). Expensive and inefficient. Can be frustrating for teams in all regions at the lower levels.
    Culture training which has only be US based and top down behaviour into the SVP level is not evidenced / acted upon.
    Nearly impossible to gain promotion / real pay for performance. Quotas are strictly adhered to despite individual performance or your groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter decision making at SVP level with accountability that is transparent to all.

Okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe benefits are really good and that is something that you need in todays business.

ConsThe challenges working there was the favoritism. The managers loved who they loved and didn't care about the others. Some managers expected so much from you without the proper help or guidance. I felt that I was let go due to me be pregnant but I had no proof so i couldn't do much about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be involve and makes rue that you treat everyone fairly and the way you would like to be treated.

Trying to change the culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros● Marketplace allows employees to receive discounts, ie., electronics, travel, restaurantake
    ● Many diverse social groups
    ● Many managers support work/ life balance
    ● Learning to empower employees

Cons● message from top does not always filter down to all levels
    ● reward employees fairly

Advice to Senior Management● listen to your employees; don't assume 'one size fits all'
    ● need more bottom up communication

Bank Needs Help

Senior Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFor most people, work life balance is probably the best thing about working here. In some units, it's mandatory due to lack of space. Some offices look like ghost towns on Fridays. And most are out by 5 pm. Besides that, the pay is decent, 401k and benefits are good, and most people are nice.

ConsToo many people work from home too often, which reduces productivity. This is an issue for a company that continues to struggle. Some areas are overstaffed while others are understaffed. Leadership is mediocre and mostly look out for themselves. Too much time is spent justifying results to London rather than trying to address underlying issues, which creates a lot of work that doesn't drive business decisions. Lots of bandaid solutions to problems in the hopes that the wounds will heal on their own and business will improve for no reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the guts to actually come up with a strategy to grow the business in the US instead of trying to justify your poor results.

Worked for HSBC Bank USA? Contribute to the Community!