HSBC Bank USA

HSBC Bank USA Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

HSBC Bank USA Chief Executive Officer Irene Dorner

Irene Dorner

Pros:
  • "For most people, work life balance is probably the best thing about working here"
    in 47 reviews
  • "Be careful work life balance and work from home are determined by the department head"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance with global timezones"
    in 12 reviews
  • "cronyism, lack of diversity, not upholding mission statement by senior management"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Manager

ProsBenefits are competitive , global opportunities in varies aspects of banking (i.e. commercial, private banking, wealth management), travel, training, educational assistance is also available.

ConsMy department was eliminated. Love the work, sad to see the operation move to an outsourcing strategy.

satisfying

Prosgood work life balance although it would depend on the team

Consbeing primarily UK based .. less global ownership exists in the US

The British are leaving!

Assistant Vice President Learning (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsFlexible work from home options
    Great coworkers
    Onsite daycare

ConsNo growth opportunity as the organization was pulling out of the US
    Running lean was the way of life - do more with less, for less

Advice to Senior ManagementYou gave away 10% of your net income just to get out of the US. That is just bad business.....

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

International focus bank with poor technology

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsInstant International brand recognition and well received international bank

ConsPoor technology here in the US. Alot of micro managing. Reduce health benefits every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementHired mid-level managers to micro manage like crazy. These mid-level managers try to cover their own behind by throwing whoever they can under the bus.

Unorganized

Vice President, Premier Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits, hours, paid time off

Conssenior leadership, regulators, compensation plan

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together!

Politics over success

EBusiness Analyst (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsLearned a great deal about site management, online marketing, customer and user experience. Great benefits. Work/life balance was great.

ConsToo political. Women consistently paid under market. Roles reclassified to reduce pay and bonus structure and doesn't match what you are actually doing. Never had a manager who advocates for the employee unless you were fell into the political group. Managers just didn't listen, not to the employees that provided details, or the employees until the US government intervened.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I started with HSBC it was a great environment to thrive and learn. Once Calibriation was brought in, management created a highly political environment which wasn't about rewarding those who developed new ideas and compelling business cases, but those who were the "preferred" performers.

need to prove yourself

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat training tools available and coaching

Consneed to work hard and net work with the right people

Advice to Senior Managementspend time with employees for coaching purposes

Okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe benefits are really good and that is something that you need in todays business.

ConsThe challenges working there was the favoritism. The managers loved who they loved and didn't care about the others. Some managers expected so much from you without the proper help or guidance. I felt that I was let go due to me be pregnant but I had no proof so i couldn't do much about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be involve and makes rue that you treat everyone fairly and the way you would like to be treated.

NA

ProsInternational Bank with good reputations.

ConsLong working hours are required.

Making simple "complex"

Senior Vice President (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsDirect manager level is excellent and there is a genuine desire (if you push for it) for opportunities that are lateral.
    Work / Life is you are in regulatory is not a benefit (long hours + 12 hour days).
    Direct teams are generally friendly, good work atmosphere and work as a team

ConsThere is a lack of fact based decision making at SVP levels and regional heads that creates extreme confusion and complexity in how teams deliver that is politically / self driven. This makes is very difficult for those actually doing the work to meet regulatory deadlines.
    Lack of integration regionally to global (and vice versus) over complicates our approach which leads to multiple teams with multiple different approaches (which then change on a monthly basis). Expensive and inefficient. Can be frustrating for teams in all regions at the lower levels.
    Culture training which has only be US based and top down behaviour into the SVP level is not evidenced / acted upon.
    Nearly impossible to gain promotion / real pay for performance. Quotas are strictly adhered to despite individual performance or your groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter decision making at SVP level with accountability that is transparent to all.

Worked for HSBC Bank USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HSBC Bank USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HSBC Bank USA CEO Irene Dorner. All 431 reviews posted anonymously by HSBC Bank USA employees.