HSBC Canada

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paulo Maia

Pros
  • Where positions allow it, they offer the best work-life balance you could find (in 8 reviews)

• Nice building; good benefits; people generally fine to work with (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, not much work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Long long hours with no OT pay since everyone is considered a "manager" (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights
106 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

All over the place...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe work was interesting and the company name is well known and looks good on a resume. They seem to believe strongly in trial by fire, as their training on new systems or proprietary systems is very lack-luster.

ConsManagement and objectives are all over the place. They don't seem to have clear goals from year to year except to maintain the status quo with aging systems and IT infrastructure as a whole. From a top down perspective, it seems as if there is a lot of talk about things, but no one really taking action to make things happen, even when things are necessary. They are very reactive to problems instead of pro-active to ensuring problems do not happen.

Not bad

Operations Specialist (Current Employee) Burnaby, BC (Canada)

ProsLaid back; decent benefits; managers are ok; overall office atmosphere is pretty good

Consit's hard to make any good transitions within the bank

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more exposure to different teams within the bank, especially for new employees.

Could be good but isn't

ProsWork / life balance is OK. Employees at my level are actively encouraged to work from home 1, 2 or 3 days per week. During the day there's a lot of freedom to go about doing your thing without having people hover over you. As an employee you're treated as an adult with appropriate give and take.

The company is also by far the most global I've ever been a part of. Many companies claim to be global by nature of having offices everywhere. But at HSBC there is far more global collaboration than what I've experienced elsewhere. If you serve your time, there are opportunities to move internationally as well. The majority of people I work with are not from Canada even though we all work out of the same office now.

On the whole, corporate values are fairly open. Right now for example, HSBC is sponsoring a few events for World Pride. Internally there are posters encouraging employees to participate in Pride events as well. World Cup 2014 is currently in full swing in Brazil and many employees are taking full advantage of excellent TV coverage to watch games, participate in pools etc. So there is definitely a light-hearted aspect of HSBC which is embraced.

ConsI consider my pay to be low. The time-off policy is not overly restrictive, but it's an oddity to me in that you get x days off (depends on seniority) but if you're sick that counts as time off. So you're not supposed to take 100% of your time off as vacation, but rather leave a day or 2 "in the bank" just in case you get sick.

The biggest con of HSBC Canada though is that there's no sense of urgency in anything and thus no sense of direction. To me it feels like I'm working with a gigantic blob of Jello. The mass kind of jiggles and moves in a direction that's roughly forward, but it's really slow going. And when you contribute your bit, the mass just kind of jiggles some more without really feeling like there's forward momentum.

Without a sense of urgency, everything just slows down as people ease up. So we end up doing stupid things like creating spreadsheets which then need to be manually copied to Powerpoint which then gets emailed out as an update which no one really pays attention to anyway. But hey - we have a deck and somehow that's perceived as being a Good Thing.

People development does not seem to be a priority either. As a new hire I was thrown 20 or so web-based trainings (which taught me nothing new really) and I got to attend a couple of conference call / trainings. Other than that, I find I need to rely on my own initiative to learn how stuff really works at HSBC and who does what. There is essentially no formal training for on boarding a new employee and as far as I can tell, no policy for internal training let alone external third-party training courses. I suppose if I build a case and ask I might be allowed to attend some course somewhere, but it's up to me and my initiative. I don't think HSBC will proactively initiate training unless it's another web-based compliance thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop planning everything to the most minute of details. We don't **need** a Powerpoint for everything! Sometimes discussing a plan then moving to execution is OK. There are too many people who hide behind the excuse of "we need a deck".

Another thing to do is ease up a bit on the culture of compliance. Compliance with relevant laws is an obvious must.But how we do it matters. We should not be overly compliant at the expense of making it too hard to do business with us.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee) Burnaby, BC (Canada)

ProsGreat exposure to Global Business and IT teams

ConsVery low salary
    No work life balance

Very welcoming and pleasant work atmosphere with friends employees.

AML/KYC Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat work/life balance
    Great location
    Friendly atmosphere
    Great schedule
    Management is open to ideas and views.

ConsTravel time is the only cons I could say about this company.

Global company

Premium Banker (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsGood manager/good office culture/lots of opportunities/fast promote

Conslimit training/low salary/old system,need upgrade/

...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosit was a good experience.

ConsThere wasn't a chance for advancement

AML Compliance Analyst

AML Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat environment to work in HSBC

ConsAML / ATF field challengeable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood to work.

great environment and and friendly team

Co-Op Intern (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Prosgreat facilities including napping room, gym and a big cafeteria. Friendly working environment and very casual during meetings and day to day work. Work life balance was good, and was encouraged to not work late with flexible hours and option to work from home

ConsConsidering the size of the company and the large building, it is hard to get to know everyone in the company, relationships with other teams may be challenging to establish may be due to lack of communication of misunderstandings

Great Experience but Not a Lifetime Employer

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsThere a great time-off policy for Personal Bankers (tellers). Even working part time you are given paid days off. In addition, their benefits were great.

ConsThe base pay itself was probably the lowest of all the banks. The company culture was not very strong, but each branch was a community of its own.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement could better empower employees by giving personal bankers the tools and training they need to succeed.

Worked for HSBC Canada? Contribute to the Community!