HSBC Canada Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014
3.2

Paulo Maia

Pros
  • Where positions allow it, they offer the best work-life balance you could find (in 8 reviews)

• Nice building; good benefits; people generally fine to work with (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, not much work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Long long hours with no OT pay since everyone is considered a "manager" (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

IT Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at HSBC Canada full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great exposure to Global Business and IT teams

Cons

Very low salary
    No work life balance

Could be good but isn't

I have been working at HSBC Canada full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work / life balance is OK. Employees at my level are actively encouraged to work from home 1, 2 or 3 days per week. During the day there's a lot of freedom to go about doing your thing without having people hover over you. As an employee you're treated as an adult with appropriate give and take.

The company is also by far the most global I've ever been a part of. Many companies claim to be global by nature of having offices everywhere. But at HSBC there is far more global collaboration than what I've experienced elsewhere. If you serve your time, there are opportunities to move internationally as well. The majority of people I work with are not from Canada even though we all work out of the same office now.

On the whole, corporate values are fairly open. Right now for example, HSBC is sponsoring a few events for World Pride. Internally there are posters encouraging employees to participate in Pride events as well. World Cup 2014 is currently in full swing in Brazil and many employees are taking full advantage of excellent TV coverage to watch games, participate in pools etc. So there is definitely a light-hearted aspect of HSBC which is embraced.

Cons

I consider my pay to be low. The time-off policy is not overly restrictive, but it's an oddity to me in that you get x days off (depends on seniority) but if you're sick that counts as time off. So you're not supposed to take 100% of your time off as vacation, but rather leave a day or 2 "in the bank" just in case you get sick.

The biggest con of HSBC Canada though is that there's no sense of urgency in anything and thus no sense of direction. To me it feels like I'm working with a gigantic blob of Jello. The mass kind of jiggles and moves in a direction that's roughly forward, but it's really slow going. And when you contribute your bit, the mass just kind of jiggles some more without really feeling like there's forward momentum.

Without a sense of urgency, everything just slows down as people ease up. So we end up doing stupid things like creating spreadsheets which then need to be manually copied to Powerpoint which then gets emailed out as an update which no one really pays attention to anyway. But hey - we have a deck and somehow that's perceived as being a Good Thing.

People development does not seem to be a priority either. As a new hire I was thrown 20 or so web-based trainings (which taught me nothing new really) and I got to attend a couple of conference call / trainings. Other than that, I find I need to rely on my own initiative to learn how stuff really works at HSBC and who does what. There is essentially no formal training for on boarding a new employee and as far as I can tell, no policy for internal training let alone external third-party training courses. I suppose if I build a case and ask I might be allowed to attend some course somewhere, but it's up to me and my initiative. I don't think HSBC will proactively initiate training unless it's another web-based compliance thing.

Stop planning everything to the most minute of details. We don't **need** a Powerpoint for everything! Sometimes discussing a plan then moving to execution is OK. There are too many people who hide behind the excuse of "we need a deck".

Another thing to do is ease up a bit on the culture of compliance. Compliance with relevant laws is an obvious must.But how we do it matters. We should not be overly compliant at the expense of making it too hard to do business with us.

Very welcoming and pleasant work atmosphere with friends employees.

Current Employee - AML/KYC Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - AML/KYC Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at HSBC Canada as a contractor

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Great location
    Friendly atmosphere
    Great schedule
    Management is open to ideas and views.

Cons

Travel time is the only cons I could say about this company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

...

I worked at HSBC Canada

Pros

it was a good experience.

Cons

There wasn't a chance for advancement

Global company

Current Employee - Premium Banker  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Premium Banker in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at HSBC Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good manager/good office culture/lots of opportunities/fast promote

Cons

limit training/low salary/old system,need upgrade/

AML Compliance Analyst

Current Employee - AML Compliance Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - AML Compliance Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at HSBC Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment to work in HSBC

Cons

AML / ATF field challengeable.

Good to work.

great environment and and friendly team

Former Employee - Co-Op Intern  in  Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Co-Op Intern in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at HSBC Canada as an intern for less than a year

Pros

great facilities including napping room, gym and a big cafeteria. Friendly working environment and very casual during meetings and day to day work. Work life balance was good, and was encouraged to not work late with flexible hours and option to work from home

Cons

Considering the size of the company and the large building, it is hard to get to know everyone in the company, relationships with other teams may be challenging to establish may be due to lack of communication of misunderstandings

Great Experience but Not a Lifetime Employer

Former Employee - Personal Banker  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at HSBC Canada part-time for more than a year

Pros

There a great time-off policy for Personal Bankers (tellers). Even working part time you are given paid days off. In addition, their benefits were great.

Cons

The base pay itself was probably the lowest of all the banks. The company culture was not very strong, but each branch was a community of its own.

Management could better empower employees by giving personal bankers the tools and training they need to succeed.

A global bank which is not localized enough.

Current Employee - Premium Banker  in  Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Premium Banker in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at HSBC Canada full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits. High staff turnover, which means faster promotion.
    Global network connection.

Cons

Limited products. Limited network support.
    Limited team collaboration between departments.

Focus more on client, less on product sales.
    More collaboration among retail, business and commercial banking, as well as investment department.

A lot of frustration with inefficiencies, poor management

I have been working at HSBC Canada

Pros

International opportunities and network are helpful. Lots of training tools internally and good learning experience in the short term

Cons

Lots of sales pressure, compensation is not always reflective of performance, a lot of inefficiencies which create unnecessary work loads.

Worked for HSBC Canada? Contribute to the Community!