HSBC Global Asset Management

HSBC Global Asset Management Global CEO Sridhar Chandrasekharan
Sridhar Chandrasekharan

very good

I worked at HSBC Global Asset Management

Pros

very organized and focused company to work for

Cons

A lot of pressure everyday

Vice President, Marketing

Current Employee - Vice President, Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President, Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at HSBC Global Asset Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This organization has a good culture and respects work life balance and focuses on sustainability. The people are fantastic here and it has great leadership.

Cons

The technology can be improved to compete with today's standards. Currently, the technology is sub-par.

It's not what you know, it's who you know (US office)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at HSBC Global Asset Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and perks are pretty good.

Cons

They don't promote people who truly deserve it, but if you know someone, you're in. Office politics suck, and procedures are drowning in red tape. It takes 6 weeks for 10 people to get email addresses! I had to say "it's not in my job description" not because I didn't want to do something, but because my manager told me to say that. Workload is not evenly distributed between peers. If you don't have the right school on your resume, your chances of getting hired are slim. Performance reviews are a joke, and a waste of time.

Consider implementing peer reviews in addition to standard performance reviews. The combination might better reflect someone's job performance. Don't cut people's salaries or even position to pay for mistakes made offices in other countries. Pay attention to employees' actions and intelligence, not just their resumes. You have lost many valuable individuals through ignorance and office politics.

Useful training

I have been working at HSBC Global Asset Management

Pros

Large education & training budget, good work/life balance

Cons

Bad pay, slow moving company, bureaucracy

a friendly atmosphere and a good location. The building is great.

I worked at HSBC Global Asset Management

Pros

I t had a friendly atmosphere and a good location. The building is great. There are a lot of opportunities to travel, if you are keen.

Cons

Can be very competitive and a stressful atmosphere in some depts.

General overview

Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HSBC Global Asset Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good reputation, good name to have on CV. Good work life balance. Great location

Cons

Total lack of process (investment process, risk analysis, etc) - as a result you have to constantly watch you back. I worked as a quant analyst. Was constantly asked (verbally rather than in writing) to tweak models so that they output what the senior management wanted to tell clients, rather than telling clients what the model said and overlaying that with their own expectations & views. If something goes wrong somewhere down the line, this back fires because you made the changes to the model. This is not in writing so you can't prove your innocence. Eventually i resigned.

This was something many people across the board complained about. White papers written with no clear guidance on who the intended audience is, so you cannot really gauge what to write. most of the time papers sit in somebody's outbox - very demoralising. Its a big, old company, with a lot of old, political people. If you are good at playing politics its a good place. During my time there, i saw all the good people left very soon, hangers on hun on in the hope of a good severance package...

Put some processes in place so that you are doing the right thing by both clients and employees
    Get rd of deadweights and retain the brains
    Stop paying the political players huge bonuses and instead incentivise and retain the truly intelligent people in the company
    Take some risk!

Great name on your CV, otherwise a political hotbed of mess

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at HSBC Global Asset Management full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance (everyone has a decent lunch, and leaves on time) , great location (green park, amazing in the summer).

Cons

For a large company, there is a very small canteen on the bottom floor, which doesnt offer much of a variety. Dont be deluded by the fancy interior to the lobby, the actual working floors are as back dated as a 80s sitcom. The place is a political minefield, if your great at playing the political game you will thrive here. Middle management have ample opportunities to hide and soak the glory and are not held to account. Its a great stepping stone to move onto something more stable, and progressive. If your going to a interview ask them about the results of their recent employee survey.

Aim to compete with the big asset managers and stop just wanting to be neutral and aflout by employing and enforcing political means. Provide more transparency to the wider company on those monthly calls by holding to account middle management and what they actually do.

Good bank to work gorgeous

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Great company to work for and good perks. Although a lot of bureaucracy.

Cons

Good work life balance and flexi hours

Spend more on new technology

Summer intern

I have been working at HSBC Global Asset Management

Pros

Great company to work for, great work/life balance, pay is good

Cons

Culture can be over conservative

Good overall

I have been working at HSBC Global Asset Management

Pros

you get involved in some aspects of the role and thats it really

Cons

Long hours, no rewards, treat staff with no respect upper management

Invest in developing staff and make them feel appreciated. A simple job well done with some sincerity can go a long way