HSBC Holdings

HSBC Holdings Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

HSBC Holdings Chief Executive Stuart T. Gulliver

Stuart T. Gulliver

Pros
  • The organizations offers decently fair work life balance and job security(in 114 reviews)

• Work from home is always a plus, but you can't always do so(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance for a great deal of the employees(in 34 reviews)

• Lots of senior management changes and their dedication in investing US is not clear(in 49 reviews)

Good place

Senior Accountant (Former Employee) Mettawa, IL

ProsVery diversified, you'll meet people from all over the world.
    Committed to employee career advancement. Opportunities for promotions and growth.
    Good learning experience.
    Looks good on resume due to international presence.

ConsI worked in US headquarters, and the pay was less than in US Banks for similar positions.
    This is the only US Bank that doesn't observe US banking holidays (or British, for that matter)
    Can require lots of overtime during deadline peaks, but management grants decent comp time in lieu.

Account Executive

Account Executive (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsExcellent training program for people just entering the mortgage industry. Many opportunities for increasing income, good leads and some flexibility with hours. Very into giving back to the community. Super fun sales contests.

ConsWorking late. Other sales people view you as someone who will take money from them. They begrudgingly help and aren't really helpful. Branch manager's are promoted because of their sales numbers, not because they have management experience or know how to motivate and train. My branch manager was cussed out by two employees and a third quit citing her micro-managerial style as the reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that have management experience every time. An untrained manger can ruin a branch.

Consistent and progressive experience

ProsFlexible work options; strong benefits; great people

ConsConstant change; Limited work-life balance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work experience with very competitive pay and company is well structured.

Credit Officer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsHigh salaries and knowledgeable management.

Consjob stability is a little shaky.

Great place to work

ProsThe company culture is very family oriented with minimal micromanagement.

ConsSome aspects of the job are more complicated then they need to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimply reporting processes.

Credit Department

Credit Analyst (Former Employee) Lewisville, TX

ProsPay and Benefits were good

ConsManagement was mostly incompetent and disrespectful of many staff members

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the suggestions of your most talented staff and implement changes to better.

Was once a good place to work

(Current Employee) Mettawa, IL

ProsNice building, decent pay, good benefits. Morale used to be better before the market crash.

ConsNorth American business is quickly shrinking with no clear focus. All business in Illinois has been sold or is in run-off so there is no future beyond the time it takes to wrap up business. Too many layers of management. Everyone is being squeezed to do work since mandatory layoffs.

Fast Paced Money was great until the end...

Mortgage Broker (Current Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsIn the beginning the money was up for grabs. Positions were being filled at record pace. Everyone was friendly and excited to come to work. Worked well helping with life balance at times if you were interested in another dept lateral movement was commonplace.

ConsPerformance based employment unfortunately many people were let go that were often top performers that were just in a slump. When the market changed attitudes went with it. Managers wouldn't listen to employee ideas. eventually they started stealing them for job security. if need be HSBC will close entire facilities to protect the bottom dollar.

Overall Experience

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLess risky place to work vs pure IB

ConsLower pay vs competition. Take long time to get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave one strategy/one bank

Overall Company

ProsGood place to work. Great employees and benefits.

ConsTo many management changes and not alot of directions

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!