HSBC Holdings

HSBC Holdings Reviews in London, England

Updated Jun 17, 2014

HSBC Holdings Chief Executive Stuart T. Gulliver

Stuart T. Gulliver

Pros
  • The organizations offers decently fair work life balance and job security (in 114 reviews)

• Work from home is always a plus, but you can't always do so (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance for a great deal of the employees (in 34 reviews)

• Lots of senior management changes and their dedication in investing US is not clear (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights
87 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent employer

Business Analyst (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsInteresting work
    Very good working conditions and environment, largely shielded from the corporate politics
    Very nice people

ConsLimitations on the technology allowed to be utilised in finding the best solution to the problem at hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementLimitations on the technology allowed to be utilised in finding the best solution to the problem at hand mans you do not end up with the best solution.

Compliance Officer

Compliance Officer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsOffice culture, can be good.

ConsPromotion for long time employee is not easy

Advice to Senior ManagementI trust overall this is a good place to work, Global Standers in HSBC does work.

A dynamic and interesting place to work

Associate, Global Markets (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood salary. Smart, friendly colleagues. A globally respected company. A great office location in the centre of Canary Wharf.

ConsLarge open plan office isn't the most ideal work environment in my opinion. Some colleagues are smart but there are plenty who aren't that capable.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Healthy office culture, benefits are good, salary and bonus could be better

Procurement/Data Management (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsVery good work vs life balance, it's relatively laid back and due to its sheer size, there are opportunities to move around. Open plan office lay out is great. Gym on 5th floor is used by lots of employees and makes a welcome relief from Canary wharf lunch breaks.

ConsPays less than other tier 1 investment banks

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can be hit and miss, company values promote openness, taking responsibility and being respectable towards others.

My HSBC experience

Communications Business Partner (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsExcellent office facilities in Canary Wharf; great people in London and Southampton; good understanding of the need for work/life balance

ConsSome in-house politics which can get in the way of doing the work; difficult to get in touch with people sometimes as employees are constantly travelling

Friendly working environment but little challenge

Project Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood benefits and work-life balance. I had 8.30-7 hours for most of the time I worked at HSBC, and found little need for face time. I also had supportive coworkers from whom I learned a lot. Very friendly atmosphere - definitely not cut throat the way some banks are described as being.

ConsUnderchallenged for 75% of the time that I spent in this role (2 years), and I'm guessing that many other people had the same experience - even on a supposed fast track the learning curve levels off quickly. Not for the extremely ambitious.

Large organization, very slow pace

Business Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood pension, good work life balance, people are friendly.

ConsPoor resource and project management, a lot of works are duplicated and project has little impacts. Totally disregard individual development need by setting uniform objective for everyone in the same grade. Feel like a wast of time here.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some strong and clear leadership. Better coordinated effort on project

Good name to have on the CV

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThis is a good place to gain experience in the banking sector. There are plenty of opportunities to grow within the firm, however, this can often take longer than one would hope.

ConsThe compensation is average but definitely not high compared to competitors.
    There are too many silos within the bank, but given its size, is not unusual.
    The annual review process is not balanced.

Good

Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsRight place to Work as banker

ConsLow pay and bureaucratic organization

Professional working environment

Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsInternational Opportunities
    Good career coaching and progression - especially for internationally dynamic individuals

ConsLarge organisations are by nature rife with inefficiency and HSBC is no different!

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!