HSBC Holdings

HSBC Holdings Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

HSBC Holdings Chief Executive Stuart T. Gulliver

Stuart T. Gulliver

Pros
  • The organizations offers decently fair work life balance and job security(in 114 reviews)

• Work from home is always a plus, but you can't always do so(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance for a great deal of the employees(in 34 reviews)

• Lots of senior management changes and their dedication in investing US is not clear(in 49 reviews)

Good company to work for

ProsGood company to work for

ConsGood company to work for

Large bank with very little innovation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey do not expect their employees to work as hard as other IB. The pace is more similar to a retail bank. If you are smart it is easy to shine. It is a global company, so you'll get exposed more to how other countries do business. They strive to put in global system and process, which has its cost and benefit.

ConsThey do not attract the best talent. Most senior positions are held by British, including many US positions. They have international managers whom they rotate in and out of different countries as senior managers they are generalist who often do not have the expertise of the position they fill. It is a place of who you know rather than what you know

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to keeping the talent.

Good for basic growth but not for furthering carreer

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsBenefits are fantastic. The work/life balance is very flexible.

ConsNot much movement for growth into upper management

Advice to Senior Managementcompetitive compensation and more growth opportunities for current seniors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent company.

Legal Entity Review Representatvie (Former Employee) North Pomona, CA

ProsExcellent company to work with. Overall, i really enjoyed working for this company.

ConsReally there was nothing to complain about this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

From the heights of the Household acquisition to the depths of DPA....

ProsI won't mention the business unit, but I am a current U.S. employee. Benefits are average for a gargantuan entity; promotions are for the favored (like so many other companies); personal growth has been good, but not something necessarily attributable to this particular firm; plenty of vacation time...6 weeks + 10 holidays; work from home is embraced by corporate and loathed by much of management; performance reviews are provided but are worthless with personnel rankings predetermined by management; there are annual bonuses even for the lowly but range wildly within/across teams depending on budget and personalities; senior management changes and direction spin like a roulette wheel which provides ample opportunity for do overs; opportunity for travel exists as well as meeting interesting people; salaries are excellent compared to the general population and middling compared to other financial services firms. Yes, these are the pros compared to the cons.

ConsLet me just state that the DPA of 2012 wasn't surprising given the far flung, year after year shenanigans at the bank; the feds velvet hammer triggered an internal shotgun response where a scalpel was/is needed. In the past my response to 'where do you work?' was met with 'what's that?' Later some would say 'oh I had my mortgage with HSBC' (not happily I should add)....now, I respond by just saying 'computers' and leave it at that. I can not hear the word 'mistake' again without screaming. Oh the shame. Btw, because I am employed in the U.S. (I won't relocate to to snows of Buffalo) I expect my position to be eliminated as the further building of 'low cost' engagements elsewhere further the institutional rot.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is, whatever. I'm so many rungs down the ladder I'm not standing on a rung or it's called something else...weekly (that's a joke friends). Firms this large aren't interested in what the common person considers advice or logic or common sense, even if it's framed in the context of the firm. But I'm not saying anything new am I? But I'd sure like to.

Productive and co-workers kept the day fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe co-workers made it easy to work here

ConsThere was No real challenges working here

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany no longer exist

I love HSBC!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked at HSBC for 9 years with the Training and Development team. What an awesome group of people!

ConsI have nothing but great things to say about HSBC. I enjoyed my 9 year there!

Worse than I thought possible

Premier Relationship Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBenefits are average to good

ConsLack of direction in the retail bank, lack of knowledge- the senior management team, the branch staff, the compliance group: all are generally clueless with no understanding of the products clients have and no communication between business lines.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the industry you're in, and what your competition is doing. Telling your team to sell the value of an HSBC relationship is meaningless if you can't articulate the benefits yourself. Have a clear, consistent vision and explain the pay structure beyond saying bonuses are discretionary. Your competition is openly and honestly explaining to team members what they can expect to make if hitting target- they also treat their advisors as professionals that don't have to sell a credit card to each client; so much for being a "trusted advisor" in the eyes of a customer.

Satisfied employee at HSBC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prossolid benefits (time-off, medical, 401k subsidies) and many opportunities for professional growth

Consx x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Senior Underwriter

Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) Elmhurst, IL

ProsGreat Training, great co-workers, team spirit, great benefits 401k awesome

Conslow pay, company moved to europe

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!