HSBC Holdings

HSBC Holdings Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

HSBC Holdings Chief Executive Stuart T. Gulliver

Stuart T. Gulliver

Pros:
  • "The organizations offers decently fair work life balance and job security"
    in 110 reviews
  • "Work from home is always a plus, but you can't always do so"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work life balance for a great deal of the employees"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Lots of senior management changes and their dedication in investing US is not clear"
    in 48 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Large bank with very little innovation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThey do not expect their employees to work as hard as other IB. The pace is more similar to a retail bank. If you are smart it is easy to shine. It is a global company, so you'll get exposed more to how other countries do business. They strive to put in global system and process, which has its cost and benefit.

ConsThey do not attract the best talent. Most senior positions are held by British, including many US positions. They have international managers whom they rotate in and out of different countries as senior managers they are generalist who often do not have the expertise of the position they fill. It is a place of who you know rather than what you know

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to keeping the talent.

Tough targets but reasonable conditions

Premier Call Handler (Former Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsFlex hours, large teams, lots training and development

ConsSome management very target driven some not. Management need more training on team skills

Good for building up customer service skills

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsGood for building up customer service skills, good company to put on your CV

ConsCustomers are demanding, not a lot of employee benefits (e.g. mortgage)

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't grade the employee based on how many mortgage flyers they've handed out.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If it's not in writing - don't trust any verbal promises - even if made by top management!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

ProsGood, thorough processes. Abundant learning opportunities including on-line and classroom courses.

ConsToo many layers of decision making. Also lately, too many "urgents" requests from multiple sides, some duplicative requests but you still need to provide the same information but in different reporting formats.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure HR does not make false promises to new recruits.

Lots of experience potential

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsGlobal company with abundance or opportunities, treat senior executives well

ConsTons of layers of management to get things approved and done, salary is not very good for junior and middle management staff

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline processes and more empowerment, help employees grow and develop their careers.

Compliance Officer

Compliance Officer (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsOffice culture, can be good.

ConsPromotion for long time employee is not easy

Advice to Senior ManagementI trust overall this is a good place to work, Global Standers in HSBC does work.

From the heights of the Household acquisition to the depths of DPA....

ProsI won't mention the business unit, but I am a current U.S. employee. Benefits are average for a gargantuan entity; promotions are for the favored (like so many other companies); personal growth has been good, but not something necessarily attributable to this particular firm; plenty of vacation time...6 weeks + 10 holidays; work from home is embraced by corporate and loathed by much of management; performance reviews are provided but are worthless with personnel rankings predetermined by management; there are annual bonuses even for the lowly but range wildly within/across teams depending on budget and personalities; senior management changes and direction spin like a roulette wheel which provides ample opportunity for do overs; opportunity for travel exists as well as meeting interesting people; salaries are excellent compared to the general population and middling compared to other financial services firms. Yes, these are the pros compared to the cons.

ConsLet me just state that the DPA of 2012 wasn't surprising given the far flung, year after year shenanigans at the bank; the feds velvet hammer triggered an internal shotgun response where a scalpel was/is needed. In the past my response to 'where do you work?' was met with 'what's that?' Later some would say 'oh I had my mortgage with HSBC' (not happily I should add)....now, I respond by just saying 'computers' and leave it at that. I can not hear the word 'mistake' again without screaming. Oh the shame. Btw, because I am employed in the U.S. (I won't relocate to to snows of Buffalo) I expect my position to be eliminated as the further building of 'low cost' engagements elsewhere further the institutional rot.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is, whatever. I'm so many rungs down the ladder I'm not standing on a rung or it's called something else...weekly (that's a joke friends). Firms this large aren't interested in what the common person considers advice or logic or common sense, even if it's framed in the context of the firm. But I'm not saying anything new am I? But I'd sure like to.

Good for basic growth but not for furthering carreer

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsBenefits are fantastic. The work/life balance is very flexible.

ConsNot much movement for growth into upper management

Advice to Senior Managementcompetitive compensation and more growth opportunities for current seniors.

Good pay but a political organization

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Stirling, Scotland (UK)

ProsSalaries, bonus, benefit package are good. Work life balance is good too. If working from home is your thing then there is that too.

ConsA Highly political organization that has many silos. There have been projects were there are more PM / managers than software developers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what is being said at the coal face.

Excellent company.

Legal Entity Review Representatvie (Former Employee)
    North Pomona, CA

ProsExcellent company to work with. Overall, i really enjoyed working for this company.

ConsReally there was nothing to complain about this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HSBC Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HSBC Holdings CEO Stuart T. Gulliver. All 937 reviews posted anonymously by HSBC Holdings employees.