HSBC Holdings Reviews

1. Good company to work for

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at HSBC Holdings as a contractor

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Good company to work for

Large bank with very little innovation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They do not expect their employees to work as hard as other IB. The pace is more similar to a retail bank. If you are smart it is easy to shine. It is a global company, so you'll get exposed more to how other countries do business. They strive to put in global system and process, which has its cost and benefit.

Cons

They do not attract the best talent. Most senior positions are held by British, including many US positions. They have international managers whom they rotate in and out of different countries as senior managers they are generalist who often do not have the expertise of the position they fill. It is a place of who you know rather than what you know

Advice to Management

Pay attention to keeping the talent.

3. Contract

Current Contractor - Senior IT in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Senior IT in New York, NY

I have been working at HSBC Holdings as a contractor

Pros

Work conditions good. Knowlegable people.

Cons

Not open. Not much sahring of information

5. Good for basic growth but not for furthering carreer

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are fantastic. The work/life balance is very flexible.

Cons

Not much movement for growth into upper management

Advice to Management

competitive compensation and more growth opportunities for current seniors.

From the heights of the Household acquisition to the depths of DPA....

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I won't mention the business unit, but I am a current U.S. employee. Benefits are average for a gargantuan entity; promotions are for the favored (like so many other companies); personal growth has been good, but not something necessarily attributable to this particular firm; plenty of vacation time...6 weeks + 10 holidays; work from home is embraced by corporate and loathed by much of management; performance reviews are provided but are worthless with personnel rankings predetermined by management; there are annual bonuses even for the lowly but range wildly within/across teams depending on budget and personalities; senior management changes and direction spin like a roulette wheel which provides ample opportunity for do overs; opportunity for travel exists as well as meeting interesting people; salaries are excellent compared to the general population and middling compared to other financial services firms. Yes, these are the pros compared to the cons.

Cons

Let me just state that the DPA of 2012 wasn't surprising given the far flung, year after year shenanigans at the bank; the feds velvet hammer triggered an internal shotgun response where a scalpel was/is needed. In the past my response to 'where do you work?' was met with 'what's that?' Later some would say 'oh I had my mortgage with HSBC' (not happily I should add)....now, I respond by just saying 'computers' and leave it at that. I can not hear the word 'mistake' again without screaming. Oh the shame. Btw, because I am employed in the U.S. (I won't relocate to to snows of Buffalo) I expect my position to be eliminated as the further building of 'low cost' engagements elsewhere further the institutional rot.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is, whatever. I'm so many rungs down the ladder I'm not standing on a rung or it's called something else...weekly (that's a joke friends). Firms this large aren't interested in what the common person considers advice or logic or common sense, even if it's framed in the context of the firm. But I'm not saying anything new am I? But I'd sure like to.

7. Excellent company.

Former Employee - Legal Entity Review Representatvie in North Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Entity Review Representatvie in North Pomona, CA

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to work with. Overall, i really enjoyed working for this company.

Cons

Really there was nothing to complain about this company.

Advice to Management

None

8. Productive and co-workers kept the day fun

I worked at HSBC Holdings

Pros

The co-workers made it easy to work here

Cons

There was No real challenges working here

Advice to Management

Company no longer exist

I love HSBC!

I worked at HSBC Holdings

Pros

I worked at HSBC for 9 years with the Training and Development team. What an awesome group of people!

Cons

I have nothing but great things to say about HSBC. I enjoyed my 9 year there!

Worse than I thought possible

Current Employee - Premier Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Premier Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are average to good

Cons

Lack of direction in the retail bank, lack of knowledge- the senior management team, the branch staff, the compliance group: all are generally clueless with no understanding of the products clients have and no communication between business lines.

Advice to Management

Understand the industry you're in, and what your competition is doing. Telling your team to sell the value of an HSBC relationship is meaningless if you can't articulate the benefits yourself. Have a clear, consistent vision and explain the pay structure beyond saying bonuses are discretionary. Your competition is openly and honestly explaining to team members what they can expect to make if hitting target- they also treat their advisors as professionals that don't have to sell a credit card to each client; so much for being a "trusted advisor" in the eyes of a customer.

11. Satisfied employee at HSBC

I worked at HSBC Holdings

Pros

solid benefits (time-off, medical, 401k subsidies) and many opportunities for professional growth

Cons

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x