HSBC Holdings Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
HSBC Holdings Chief Executive Stuart T. Gulliver
Stuart T. Gulliver

Pros
  • Flexible time with work/life balance (in 117 reviews)

• flexible working, able to work from home once if not twice a week (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance in phone positions (in 37 reviews)

• senior management don't seem to care too much about those who actually do the work (in 50 reviews)

1. Do your research about the company

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities to learn about the functions or roles

Cons

various processes need more cohesion, transparency

Worst Customer Service Possible Internal and External

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Washington, DC

I worked at HSBC Holdings

Pros

HSBC is a great place to work if you are in a back office in Buffalo. Your life is good, the cost of living is low, and saying you work at HSBC turns heads. Your peers aren't high flyers, the unemployment rate in Western New York is sky high, but hey, you have a secure job...Chances are you are a legacy employee from one of the local regional banks HSBC bought to expand. For everyone else, at least there is name recognition and HSBC's international reach does mean you can offer a suite of products other banks can only dream of offering.

Cons

If you work at HSBC in New York or DC its a pressure cooker. People actually expect things out of a major International Bank, and they are in shock when they hit all the limitations HSBC has in the USA. The systems are archaic, and many of your international customers will come with stories about how wonderful HSBC was in Hong Kong/Saudi Arabia/pick an emerging market HSBC actually cares about. You are bound to disappoint them with HSBC USA. The terrible customer service isn't really the employee's fault. The systems are primitive and middle management seem to think the way to fix it is adding additional layers of primitive manual systems. (I suspect senior management has no idea this is the case) This means doing things takes twice as long as at other banks, so folks are always overworked and pissy. Add to that the lackadaisical attitude and terrible internal customer service and internal support you get from back offices in Buffalo and it makes for very unhappy Branch Personnel. If you are lucky enough NOT to work at a branch, you are still stuck dealing with your clients' shock at how poorly they were treated at the branch. Additionally, the Online Banking is awful as are Credit Cards and Mortgages. Suffice to say I stopped using my HSBC Credit Card soon after arriving at the bank.

Advice to Management

Get the internal customer service up to par. Great customer service starts BETWEEN employees. How can a customer facing employee give good customer service if they are afraid to promise to fix a problem, knowing they lack any real support from the back office?

MidAtlantic Region has major sr. leadership issues

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at HSBC Holdings

Pros

The major reason that I took the job and stayed in the postion as long as i did was that the pay was great!

Cons

Unfortunately, every day of my life was more miserable than the last. My manager was completely incompetent, and that seemed to be a theme, at least in the mid Atlantic region.

Advice to Management

The midatlantic region needs a plan. It is not a surprise that the entire leadership team that was there when I was there in 2009, has been completely replaced. I don't know the new leadership team, but I hope that it is better than the last one.

5. HSBC endless possibility!

Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at HSBC Holdings

Pros

Endless Opportunities, and a worldwide network which you can use to build a great career. If yuor willing to travel, and are persistence enough HSBC can take you around the world literally Training is excellent with both local and international training programs,, when if the best Banks to invest in traingin that I have seen. Management generally have an open door policy, and it easy to talk to just about anyone. Stable and strong company.

Cons

Can get lost in the large company, hard to stick out, but as with all things you get out of it what you put into it.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on employee's and career development

Showing 4 of 3,358 reviews