HSN

HSN Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

HSN CEO Mindy Grossman

Mindy Grossman

Pros:
  • "When I first found out that I could get a real job working from home, I was thrilled"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Great people to meet, enjoyable job, flexible when time off requested"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "So, with that in mind, the Work/Life balance was the main draw to our department"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Completely agree with another comment that the cliques are worse than high school and this starts at the very top"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

HSN

Merchandise Assistant (Former Employee)
    Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsGreat technology, good pay, great recourses

ConsDid not like the corporate culture

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this company

WAH Sales/Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsExcellent training. Fun and energetic environment. Really good benefits and discounts on merchandise. Patient and understanding trainers and supervisors. Everyone here takes real pride in what they do.

ConsThere are no full-time WAH positions in Florida.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer full-time work from home positions in Florida since the company is based here.

Not a bad place to work

Programmer Analyst II (Former Employee)
    Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsGood team environment, well supported by middle level management

ConsDisorganization within departments, many data quality issues

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work

ProsThe location of the business is great and the people are decent to work with. A lot of passionate folks who make the place run.

ConsThe salary range is based on a local company not the national company that it is. All in all a good place to work.

Great Organization but very bad IT dept.

IT Developer (Current Employee)
    Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsHSN as organization is a great place to work for.
    They truly care about employees work life balance however if you are applying for IT dept please read below.

ConsLot of politics in IT dept.
    Desi people in senior management role think it is not cool to have other desis promoted and for them directly so they promote even very mediocre Americans to middle management just to look cool but they hire desis in low level development and testing roles and squeeze them with green card dream.
    Promotions are not based on your performance but it based on what your boss's boss's boss heard about you in the grapevine. They do not want set SMART goals because then they can't play favorites and they will not be able determine what one did in an entire year based on some big wigs perception.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you truly want make improvements to the process then bring 360 degree feedback on managers including senior management.

Good pay/benefits, but a job that wears you down

Customer Service Hybrid (Current Employee)
    Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsThe pay, benefits, and access to helpful information relevant to your job are big pros! The environment is not bad (indoors, air conditioned, nice chairs) but nothing to brag about.

ConsThey will paint this job as something awesome when you first start out, don't believe everything they say. Some customers make you want to pull your hair out, others you'll want to help but the supervisors will in turn make you want to pull your hair out due to the limitations on what can be done in specific situations that seem to arise more often than they make them seem. Serious lack of upward mobility, I've applied for multiple jobs after being with the company for a year and there always seems to be some qualification that you don't meet yet they 'forgot' to list on the job requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great if the general environment could be improved at the call center, gray and white walls with 2/3 of the florescent lights burnt out is king of depressing. Also there really should be better communication between departments! We're always being given contradicting statements from one department or the other.

It's not what you know it's who you know, unfortunately.

Merchandise Assistant (Former Employee)
    Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsMeet some great business people and get great samples of products.

ConsYou don't show your skills by how much you know but by how much butt kissing you have to do to get anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't judge a book by its cover. Get to know your employees and take time to understand how to communicate what you want from your employees to grow a better working relationship.

Sales above all else....

Live Show Production (Current Employee)
    Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsAmazing colleagues and an energizing fast paced atmosphere. There's no delaying the clock. Ready or not the show must go on.

ConsManagement may try to establish timelines and policies but everyone including most importantly our vendors know we can't say no if our decision could potentially inhibit sales. We live to sell- and leaders may talk a big game about turning late support down but they will always bend to make money. Unfortunately this enables all HSN vendors to ignore deadlines and turn in support later and later with absolutely zero repercussions. Sales pay our salaries but it sure would be nice to hold a vendor accountable

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish parameters and keep them. Vendors must follow the rules. Make exceptions the exception. Enable your talented rank and file to make decisions. 100 percent tops down mentality wastes HSN talent.

The company has lots of perks

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsThe company has lots of benefits and perks for working for them. They offer great health and dental.

ConsIf you get hired as a customer service representative you are constantly rushed on the phone.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou seem to have a system that works for well for your company. So keep it up.

It's Fun Here!

Model (Current Employee)
    Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsFlexibility of schedule, as models work on an on call basis and they are live 24/7. Great pay, co-workers are talented and very nice.

ConsWork is not guaranteed. You can have a very busy week and then have a very slow week. Sometimes, they just don't need a model for presentations.

Worked for HSN? Contribute to the Community!

HSN Videos

HSN – Why Work for Us?

ABOUT HSN HSN is a leading interactive entertainment and lifestyle retailer, offering a curated assortment of exclusive products and top brand names to its customers. HSN incorporates entertainment, inspiration… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HSN reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HSN CEO Mindy Grossman. All 150 reviews posted anonymously by HSN employees.