HSN Reviews

Reset
2.0
HSN CEO Mindy Grossman
Mindy Grossman

Pros
  • Work-at-home positions offered in certain states (in 33 reviews)

• Good employee discount (but I refuse to shop here due to low morals) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to work hard to achieve work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Little room for advancement in the training and development dept, (in 5 reviews)

like being back at middle school

Pros

good health and investment benefits and discounts

Cons

lots of finger pointing, upper management is out of touch with the people in the trenches. NO company culture whatsoever

Everyone is afraid of everyone...blind leading the petrified

Pros

Some great people...all stuck working for some horrible people. There are too many dysfunctional leaders and less than a handful of capable ones.

Cons

Work life balance is a joke. We all understand that it's a 24 hour network, but thats not an excuse to expect 200 percent from everyone at all days of the day and night. And no one can ever really be honest for fear of retaliation. It's a fear culture for sure, starting at the top. Everyone is afraid of everyone else and those who are not are swiftly let go. There is no loyalty for good work. Once they are done with you, they are done.

Advice to Management

Give credit where credit is due. Make us feel like we are important. Listen to us. Don't scare us into submission. Understand what we need and have our backs. I've never seen management throw subordinates under the bus faster than they do at HSN.

Fast-paced and sometimes fun

Pros

Employee discount, great cafeteria, secure campus

Cons

Layoffs, little to no notice to employees when laying them off.

It's not really fun here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at HSN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employee discounts are nice, assuming the company sells things you're actually interested in buying. Two paid community service days per year are a great benefit. PTO and holidays are competitive with other companies, and you get most of the time upfront, as opposed to having to earn it weekly.

Cons

If you have to bolt giant "It's fun here" signs all over the walls, it's probably not actually fun here. Don't just say it's fun... make it fun. The senior leaders talk a good game about the company's vision and culture, but in reality it's a much different story. The CEO is completely out of touch with employees. While frontline reps are struggling to make ends meet, the CEO sends e-mails bragging about celebrities she rubbed elbows with, awards she won, her lobster dinners, and her summer house in the Hamptons. Currently, most of her time is spent talking about charity work, and she never stops begging for donations from employees who can't even get a 40 hour work week. It would be great if she spent less time pretending to be Oprah and spent more time focusing on growing the business. Any profits seem to go to the most senior leaders, and never back to the employees. Most employees will get only a 3% raise every year.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your employees. Every two years, you hold employee engagement surveys, but don't do anything meaningful to improve the day-to-day life of the employees.

Great potential with poor execution

Current Employee - Graphic Designer
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer

I have been working at HSN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HSN has great benefits and reasonable pay. The people are friendly and the work environment is very professional.

Cons

The upper management boarders on tyrannical. The job is very high stress and the company rewards bad behavior. Mismanagement makes the work nearly unbearable.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging everything. Respect employee's insights and expertise.

7. 'It's fun here' is a figment of your own imagination..

Former Intern - Full-Time College Student in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Intern - Full-Time College Student in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at HSN as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Set styling was a great opportunity for me to learn the art of interior design but more importantly how to follow specific directions. Most of the time when you 'styled' a set you were given a picture of how the set has looked and will look. Watching the set you styled on national TV with all your friends and family watching what you completed was a big reward, one I cannot compare.

Cons

Unfortunately, your supervisor may think that although you've passionately completed all your intern objectives and hour requirements in only a 2 month time frame, your 'not focused.' Although college students are the most sleep-deprived body of people according to Time and Psychology Today Magazine, your not allowed to show it by closing your eyes in any meeting. Your allowed to ask questions, but be sure you don't ask too many and also make sure that their relevant to set styling. Although the CEO of HSN Mindy Grossman might find your questions a result of 'intellectual curiosity' the people employed beneath her won't and will end your internship on a day your not present.

Advice to Management

When your job is to manage, please do it. Don't take the easy road out and fire your employees without properly coaching them. Please don't hide from giving constructive criticism by complaining to an uninvolved HR representative about the employee and ending their career when their not present that day to defend themselves.

Great company, I just had bad luck.

Current Employee - Customer Service Hybrid in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Hybrid in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at HSN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company, CEO is super progressive and is sending the company in the right direction. There are a lot of opportunities. Lots of excitement and events that go on. Most people are friendly

Cons

I have been there about a year and a half and I am on my 8th supervisor. I have been moved to another supervisor for every reason possible. One got fired, one got promoted, one changed their shift, another 2 were temporary, and I even got kicked out of a team because it "got too big" (it was actually my first supervisor's team that I was kicked out of) and I was somehow the odd man out. Even though I had OUTSTANDING stats for more than a year, my stats have dropped the past 3 months from a quality specialist who says my "voice" isn't up to her standards so I keep failing my qualities now and I again have a new supervisor that I feel doesn't believe in my abilities because all she just wants to do is agree with the quality person I have been stuck with. I am honestly heartbroken. I have family that works here, and I have done everything I can to make it work. But I just keep getting shuffled around while no one knows I exist, and then one day I woke up, and someone tells me to forget all the good stats I did before because it was all wrong and I need to change if I want to stay with the company. I have never felt like such a failure at any job I had, I always exceeded at everything I ever worked for. I never thought I would fear of my job security. The only reason I came here to write this is because I don't think anyone will ever know the experience I have had since I am completely invisible here. I am the only one I know at HSN that has been dumped through so many supervisors even though the past 3 months have been horrible, the first year was great.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your new employees. Don't keep moving them from supervisor to supervisor and then put all the blame on them when an over zealous quality person becomes over critical of the "voice" of someone when they do and say all the right things and work hard to make the company happy

Overworked and Underpaid

Former Employee - Work At Home Customer Service in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Work At Home Customer Service in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at HSN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can work from home, good benefits, lots of paid time off.

Cons

There are lots of calls, most days over 100 calls per day. Sometimes no time to breath or get a drink of water in between callers. There is an AHT associated with every call, and sometimes you have to be on hold for a supervisor, if you need assistance with a caller, this causes your AHT to increase, also if you have a long call, and it goes into your breaks or lunch time, you are penalized for this, going against your compliance time for the day.

Advice to Management

Work at home employees are largely forgotten about, they don't get perks, such as free vendor samples, food samples from cooking shows, opportunities to participate in on campus wellness programs, etc. Also HSN needs to have more advancement opportunities for Work at Home employees. Currently the only Work at Home opportunities are Sales or Customer Service, there are several positions on campus that could be Work at Home positions.

Sell your soul and do well

Current Employee - Vice President Merchandising in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Vice President Merchandising in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Executives make great salaries Brilliant CEO with vision

Cons

You work 24/7 and they don't care, absolutely no work life balance. Leadership often does not have credentials to have their jobs, makes it hard to report to someone who has not experience to draw from. little to no diversity esp in management or more senior roles

Advice to Management

Accept who you customer actually is and embrace her, you'd grow a lot faster.

Stressful in areas that shouldn't be

Former Employee - HSN Work At Home Sales Representative in Smyrna, TN
    Former Employee - HSN Work At Home Sales Representative in Smyrna, TN

I worked at HSN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working from home and after 90 days you will receive a good chunk of personal time.

Cons

The standards that they hold you to is unreal in this kind of environment. You are expected to speak with the customers as if they were you friends, but the calls have to be less than 250 seconds on average. You are expected to be extremely polite to the customer, but yet you are not suppose to help them with questions or looking up items for them for more than 1 minute. Your upsells are expected to be at a certain rate, but yet you cannot control what a customer will or will not buy. I didn't agree with how their expectations are very contradictory.

RSS Feed </> Embed