HSN Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

14 years with the company the review depends on your department!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pie Town, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pie Town, NM

I worked at HSN (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good health benefits, time off and sick time is more generous than most. Some of the people there became lifelong friends and there are so many employees.

Cons

High turnover because sales and service take a special person. I worked 4 jobs and when in merchandising I found an incredibly unhappy spot that kept losing employees. It was a terrible team to work with. I was given terrible training and the boss blamed me for her mistakes. Fortunately I found another position and enjoyed my benefits as well as paying my mortgage Fourteen years there I was happy except that one job. That person happens to own stocks in HSN big time and no matter what a train wreck she is they will never get rid of her for that reason. After that I felt my career ended and left. Also even after 14 years don't expect a holiday vacation unless you use sick time.

Advice to Management

Crack down on people who are unprofessional, lazy or disrespectful. Stop micromanaging. And while there are policies have some understanding and treat me like a person. If I am almost full term in my pregnancy get off my back at how I pee during unscheduled breaks while a human sits on my bladder. I had many supervisors/ managers so this advice is not aimed at everyone.

2. It's a world of its own-QA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Fast pace Unique Sometimes Fun Develop a wide knowledge base Professional weight of HSN Benefits /Perks Autonomy

Cons

Management lack of follow through and advocacy. Favotism Lack of promotion Taking on A lot of tasks that shouldn't be delegated to QA

Advice to Management

Manage

Everyone is afraid of everyone...blind leading the petrified

Pros

Some great people...all stuck working for some horrible people. There are too many dysfunctional leaders and less than a handful of capable ones.

Cons

Work life balance is a joke. We all understand that it's a 24 hour network, but thats not an excuse to expect 200 percent from everyone at all days of the day and night. And no one can ever really be honest for fear of retaliation. It's a fear culture for sure, starting at the top. Everyone is afraid of everyone else and those who are not are swiftly let go. There is no loyalty for good work. Once they are done with you, they are done.

Advice to Management

Give credit where credit is due. Make us feel like we are important. Listen to us. Don't scare us into submission. Understand what we need and have our backs. I've never seen management throw subordinates under the bus faster than they do at HSN.

Fast-paced and sometimes fun

Pros

Employee discount, great cafeteria, secure campus

Cons

Layoffs, little to no notice to employees when laying them off.

Human Resources

Former Employee - Human Resources in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at HSN (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, good collaboration amongst teammates, striving for excellence. Provided great opportunities for advancement, based promotions on performance, not politics or tenure.

Cons

Did not aggressively address some poor behavior/performance of some senior executives.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on your people and they will continue to do great things for you.

It's not really fun here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at HSN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employee discounts are nice, assuming the company sells things you're actually interested in buying. Two paid community service days per year are a great benefit. PTO and holidays are competitive with other companies, and you get most of the time upfront, as opposed to having to earn it weekly.

Cons

If you have to bolt giant "It's fun here" signs all over the walls, it's probably not actually fun here. Don't just say it's fun... make it fun. The senior leaders talk a good game about the company's vision and culture, but in reality it's a much different story. The CEO is completely out of touch with employees. While frontline reps are struggling to make ends meet, the CEO sends e-mails bragging about celebrities she rubbed elbows with, awards she won, her lobster dinners, and her summer house in the Hamptons. Currently, most of her time is spent talking about charity work, and she never stops begging for donations from employees who can't even get a 40 hour work week. It would be great if she spent less time pretending to be Oprah and spent more time focusing on growing the business. Any profits seem to go to the most senior leaders, and never back to the employees. Most employees will get only a 3% raise every year.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your employees. Every two years, you hold employee engagement surveys, but don't do anything meaningful to improve the day-to-day life of the employees.

It's just ok!

Former Employee - HSN Work At Home Sales Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - HSN Work At Home Sales Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at HSN part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount was amazing!!!

Cons

Managers are not trained well and will belittle you

Advice to Management

Mindy, train your supervisors better! Reps are what really bring in the money.. Treat us like it!

CSR

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Management is always willing to work with you to develop your selling skills

Cons

Crazy Customers. Most are older women who will get irate if the item they want is sold out.

Advice to Management

Limit the clearance sales. Advertising on air for an item you only have 20 of in a size no one wants, is cruel and unfair to employees and customers.

Great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

Love the job and I had awesome co workers. Hours were flexible and easy to work around my school.

Cons

Rude customers and very high expectations. The break scheduling was awful and the high volume of back to back calls because of so much cv given.

Advice to Management

Schedule better and be better with giving breaks. Listen to your employees when we have a grievance and fix it.

Great extra income

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at HSN part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job is great for entrepreneurs who have their own businesses, students or someone who just wants to make some extra cash. I also a great what to get you foot in the door with a great company with room to grow. Discounts are great and the people are friendly for the most part. I a great work environment.

Cons

may take a while to move up in the company but very possible. can get a little boring due to waiting. The hours aren't consistent. You may end up doing my grunt work and less creative

Advice to Management

there should be a pair of set assistant stylist that come in early mornings. I think this will help with the overall efficiency of the department.

RSS Feed </> Embed