HSN

HSN Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

HSN CEO Mindy Grossman

Mindy Grossman

Pros
  • When I first found out that I could get a real job working from home, I was thrilled (in 27 reviews)

• Great people to meet, enjoyable job, flexible when time off requested (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to work hard to achieve work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Little room for advancement in the training and development dept, (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Organization but very bad IT dept.

IT Developer (Current Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsHSN as organization is a great place to work for.
    They truly care about employees work life balance however if you are applying for IT dept please read below.

ConsLot of politics in IT dept.
    Desi people in senior management role think it is not cool to have other desis promoted and for them directly so they promote even very mediocre Americans to middle management just to look cool but they hire desis in low level development and testing roles and squeeze them with green card dream.
    Promotions are not based on your performance but it based on what your boss's boss's boss heard about you in the grapevine. They do not want set SMART goals because then they can't play favorites and they will not be able determine what one did in an entire year based on some big wigs perception.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you truly want make improvements to the process then bring 360 degree feedback on managers including senior management.

It's Fun Here!

Model (Current Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsFlexibility of schedule, as models work on an on call basis and they are live 24/7. Great pay, co-workers are talented and very nice.

ConsWork is not guaranteed. You can have a very busy week and then have a very slow week. Sometimes, they just don't need a model for presentations.

It's not what you know it's who you know, unfortunately.

Merchandise Assistant (Former Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsMeet some great business people and get great samples of products.

ConsYou don't show your skills by how much you know but by how much butt kissing you have to do to get anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't judge a book by its cover. Get to know your employees and take time to understand how to communicate what you want from your employees to grow a better working relationship.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales above all else....

Live Show Production (Current Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsAmazing colleagues and an energizing fast paced atmosphere. There's no delaying the clock. Ready or not the show must go on.

ConsManagement may try to establish timelines and policies but everyone including most importantly our vendors know we can't say no if our decision could potentially inhibit sales. We live to sell- and leaders may talk a big game about turning late support down but they will always bend to make money. Unfortunately this enables all HSN vendors to ignore deadlines and turn in support later and later with absolutely zero repercussions. Sales pay our salaries but it sure would be nice to hold a vendor accountable

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish parameters and keep them. Vendors must follow the rules. Make exceptions the exception. Enable your talented rank and file to make decisions. 100 percent tops down mentality wastes HSN talent.

Great Place To Work!!

Supervisor, Loss Prevention & Safety (Current Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsAnnual reviews with a raise if you meet standards. Great work/life balance. Great benefits. Great development opportunities. Great co-workers. Great Leadership.

ConsNothing to report at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!!

Great Place to learn about sales and customer service.!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsVery Competitive Pay.
    A very Diverse group of people.
    A very positive atmosphere to go to work to everyday.

ConsVery hard to progress to the next level.

Good place to work

Software Quality Assurance (Former Employee) Saint Pete, FL

ProsWhile there on internship, it was a good place to learn. The team was fantastic and friendly. Wish I could have stayed longer!

ConsThe commute. A bit in the middle of nowhere.

Ok place to work.

Customer Service Hybrid (Former Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsMy supervisor and trainers were amazing people. They really tried to help if you were having issues.

ConsCall times to strict and standards are difficult to meet. Watched people who worked at the company for 20+ years get fired due to call times. NO ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement and the executives should take a week on the phones and see what a day in the life of a Customer Service Rep is like.

A lot of window dressing going on....

Senior Leader (Current Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsFor a St. Pete company, at a lower level position, this is a great place to work.
    Great benefits including PTO, health and community service
    Beautiful campus with wellness programs offered
    Many very nice people working there.
    Although I'm not sure about the more entry level positions, the pay at the mid to senior level positions is very competitive.
    In many cases, if you get the right position, you don't need to be great or really perform and you can still make it work by getting lost in the crowd or aligning yourself with the right people.

ConsCompletely agree with another comment that the cliques are worse than high school and this starts at the very top.
    A lot of very mediocre mid to senior level management that stifle opportunities - not only for individual growth but also for corporate growth.
    Many members of mid to senior level management get to stay there because they have been there for years and are entrenched or they suck up to the right people.
    As I mentioned the campus is very nice, the newly renovated tower is gorgeous, the visuals on screen are also great, but at the end of the day, it's all window dressing and optics. At the core, I felt like there was a lack of depth here.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach - you need fresh new ideas in order to carry this business model into the future (but ideas that make sense and are tested with real performance metrics and not pet projects or projects involving celebs or other well-liked people.
    You need some bright talented senior management that is able to perform and then give them the leash to perform and make them accountable to specific performance metrics.
    Enough with the sycophants! Yes, they may be "tiggers" but they are telling you what you want to hear not doing what needs to be done.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

24/7

ProsOpportunity to work with many vendors

Consrequired availability 24 hours a day, tied to a blackberry in some departments. extremely stressful.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter training.

Worked for HSN? Contribute to the Community!