HUB International

Updated July 29, 2014

2.8

HUB International Chairman and CEO Martin P. Hughes
Martin P. Hughes

Pros
  • worked there for 3 months, good people, trainer was patient and helpful (in 5 reviews)

• Knowledge, great people to work with, opportunities for advancement (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is on the lower end of the scale to begin with, so this news is very difficult to take (in 3 reviews)

• Incredibly disorganized from the overabundance of middle management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great learning position

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Work life balance, great people, willing to help.

Cons

Not all postions have same advantage. The decentralized culture is both a blessing and a curse.

GROWING PAINS

Pros

Work life balance is there

Cons

Poor Leadership in the TX region

It's not too bad of a place to work but could be better.

Pros

Good caring manager, good coworkers.

Cons

Understaffed, overworked, underpaid. salary freezes. Upper management only looking at numbers and not paying attention to the underlying causes.

Recognition of employees' job well done is nice but if that can be followed up with pay increases it would be even better. As someone else stated it appears that it's only the senior management folks who get promoted (and get raises) while staff members do not get anything. To some that's very demoralizing. Where would the organization be without the workers?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Salary for lower positions are not competitive at all

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Flexible hours, recognition lunch, activities to get employees together, time-off, tuition reimbursement.

Cons

The medical insurance is the worst, avoid it at all cost or you'll end up broke for just paying medical expenses. No Holiday bonus but a pettiful $25 gift card.

Be considerate to those who work hard and implement a bonus pay for the holiday. It will make your employees so happy and appreciate the company more.

Unfulfilled, Overworked and Underpaid

Pros

It's really hard to give this company any pros...we do have nice company outings every now and then. There are also some great people that work here (I really mean that) which makes things a little more pleasant for me but the bad really outweighs the good at this company. I can't say I enjoy working here.

Cons

I feel burdened every single day here. I feel like I am drowning but the only thing that really keeps me going is the fact that I have a few people to shoot the breeze with.

-The first con is that we are {extremely} understaffed. I don't really understand how this is even allowed to go on for as long as it has and I believe no one in authority or with influence really cares. Someone that's worked there much longer than me filled me in on the company and told me that for as long as they've been there, my department has been the busiest and the most understaffed with a very high turnover. No one wants to work in this department.

- Second con: Pay is low in comparison to the work load. Although, I'm not too sure more money would make working here any more tolerable....

-Third con: There's no integrity. I really don't want to elaborate on this because I want to remain as anonymous as possible...but I've seen some things happen here and I don't understand how so much gets swept under the rug. I really am disgusted...with what I've seen and some of the people I've seen do them.

-Forth con: Technology is outdated. Also, the "higher ups" aren't readily willing to get with times and that makes my job that much more tedious and monotonous.

Fifth con: There was no training. This is extremely problematic, especially for those newcomers (and there will be newcomers because turnover is high).

I don't even bother voicing my frustrations with management because I feel like nothing will be done about it anyway (and I have experienced this as well). The consensus I've gathered from speaking with people that work there about all the problems here is that you have to just learn how to deal or look for something else.

Pay attention to your employees. Morale is low, especially in my department. Turnover is high and will continue to grow because we are notoriously understaffed. I do believe that this is a great company with loads of potential and influence. And some incredible employees work here! However, I don't think that these great people have much incentive to remain here because there isn't enough done to show those employees they are valued and appreciated for all of the hard work they do.

I, personally, feel like I am one of those people. I really have tried to maintain a positive spirit in this environment but it's difficult to keep it up when I feel like I'm doing all this grunt work and not seeing any tangible rewards. I don't feel like I can say what I really want/need to say and I don't feel like even if I could that any of it would matter because people are set in their ways and progressive change is seemingly frowned upon. I'm annoyed and frustrated with the lack of progress and my menial compensation in comparison to the work I do.

This company could really benefit from hiring more younger talent and listening to their ideas. I think this would help with retention, increase efficiency and morale and allow progression to actually take place. Also, consider rewarding employees that work really hard! No matter how long they've been there. This will also help with retention and it would enable them to be even better. And also, please, please, please implement some sort of training program for employees. I have a coworker that could really benefit from some training/coaching...seriously. This will help employees to reach their greatest potential.

Waste of Time

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Westmont, IL
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Westmont, IL

Pros

- Good way to get into the industry
    - Most offices are very decentralized so you can come and go as you please

Cons

- Low pay
    - No opportunity to build a book while you are "training"
    - Not a training program, they will say it is but it's really a call center
    - unrealistic goals
    - No transition plan in place, I feel like they try and trap you after you "graduate" to have you keep making calls for producers
    - Broken promises

Don't beat around the bush with candidates, tell them it's a call center. Make sure you have a REAL transition plan in place and make sure you hire sales managers that stay longer than 6 months. I know many people have left Hub International, which is a great company, through the BDT because the program leaves a really bad taste in their mouth. Change the way the program is run, I would copy all of the top competitors and install a training program like theirs. Have the bdm make cold calls, let them go out on the appointment if it closes it goes to THEIR BOOK and upfront commission is split 50/50. Pretty simple... Otherwise they will graduate and leave in 6 months because they have no clue what they are doing.

Don't work here!

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Summit, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Summit, NJ

Pros

Initial compensation was good for my position.

Cons

The team I worked with was horrible and threw everyone under the bus constantly. If someone made a mistake they let them go instead of allowing that person to work through any issues and find a common ground. Temps, Admins, Full-time associates, didn't matter. If you messed up or they didn't like you, you were gone. Technology was beyond out dated as almost everyone still worked on desktop computers! and the laptops were 10 years old easily. Office culture was terrible, very quiet and most people keep to themselves and seem like they can't wait to get out of there.

You need to get with the times, hire some younger talent and get up to date with your technology. There are local brokers that can run circles around you in this area. For new employees coming on board come up with a training program that makes sense and gives someone the chance to prove themselves. Managers needs to hold senior level associates accountable for their actions and training.

Chaotic Leadership, Low Pay

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

Pros

Great team of people, large book of business in the office I was in so the carriers were interested in working with us. Some nice corporate slicks/marketing pieces. Management was okay - didn't want anyone to "rock the boat."

Cons

No written procedures, I never received a performance review in all the years I was there. My boss presented me as a VP in a client proposal, knowing that I did not have an officer title, promised that it would come to me and never came through. Low pay. Years when our division experienced great growth, we were told no or low raises because the whole Hub was down due to issues with another department. Years when the other department had a great year and we were level or only slight growth, we were told our results were low so no or low raises. There was always an excuse. Management promised raises would be effective in March, but didn't actually happen until May or June and not retroactive. I worked a minimum 50- 60 hours a week due to understaffing. I liked my coworkers and my boss left me alone, so I stayed longer than I should have considering the low pay and incredibly heavy work load.

This company and the regional leadership need discipline and consistency. Stop low-balling employees and scrambling around during raise time. Give ALL employees a meaningful performance review and a fair raise.

Resources

Former Employee - Producer  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Producer in Dallas, TX

Pros

Many Insurance appointments and carrier relationships
    Great Benefits

Cons

Agent politics of who's account, what area you can and can't work. Long tenured there, if someone entered a name and address 10 years ago, you still can't market too. Lots and lots of office politics. No Employee Handbook that is actually followed.

Replace Managers, this place is growing through acquisition, not by longevity of accounts or excellent service.

The HUB BDT is a nice mix of never-ending workload and some fun while in the office.

Current Employee - Sales Operations Coordinator  in  Westmont, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Coordinator in Westmont, IL

Pros

Office environment is exciting with games like foosball or shuffleboard to help relieve stress when taking a quick break

Cons

Marketing and Operations team works longer hours, get paid less than BDMs.

We could do with a bit a less of the expense for corporate outings in exchange for higher pay or more resources for employees. While corporate outings are fun and present us with a nice corporate culture, they also seem to always be over the top to the corporate dime. Personally I'd rather have the money to choose what I do with my social life than to have work create my social life.

Worked for HUB International? Contribute to the Community!