HUB International

Updated December 12, 2014
2.9

HUB International Chairman and CEO Martin P. Hughes
Martin P. Hughes

Pros
  • The work/life balance is a lot of talk and very little reality (in 5 reviews)

• worked there for 3 months, good people, trainer was patient and helpful (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance does not exist except for senior management, although there is a lot of talk about it (in 3 reviews)

• Low Pay, High stress volume of work, (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Financial Lines Intern

Current Employee - Financial Lines in San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - Financial Lines in San Juan, PR

I have been working at HUB International as an intern

Pros

Great exposure to senior management. The office I was working at was large enough that the clients were big companies but small enough that I was able to work directly with a senior VP on my projects.

Cons

At times work was monotonous. Apart from the summer long project I was tasked with, there really wasn't much else for me to do. Once I asked for more work I got it. So being upfront with your colleagues and mentors was key for my summer to be successful.

Fine place to work

Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager

I have been working at HUB International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For a large company it feels like a small agency. Regional management tries to stay involved but does not micromanage.

Cons

Work not evenly distributed. Good workers often overwhelmed. Slackers seems to be aloud to do as little as possible.

Get rid of slackers and replace them with hard workers so work loads are manageable.

A mixed bag of stress-inducing people.

Current Employee - Receptionist
    Current Employee - Receptionist

I have been working at HUB International full-time

Pros

The people here did help me through a rough personal situation. For that, I appreciate them.

Cons

The atmosphere is very tense most of the time. The company does not hire replacement staff quickly, and the turn-over rate has been high in the last year. Management expects employees to take on more than one person's tasks, but does not compensate accordingly.
    Suggestions have not been taken seriously; nor have complaints.

Company doesn't care.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at HUB International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I met one of my best friends working here.

Cons

Where do I begin? This was the worst company where I have ever worked. Training was minimal to nonexistent. Raises were not given ("not in the budget" is what we heard every year), people were under paid for how much work we were given. When I was "promoted" I was told a salary amount, however, my paychecks were lower than anticipated. When I questioned the amount of my new salary, I was told that it included an approximate amount for potential bonus....so, basically my salary was hypothetical, not actual. Also, they fired people in groups of 2 or more throughout the years I was there due to "restructuring". The company is a joke. To this day when I hear about someone getting hired at Hub I feel sorry for them. Thank God I was able to get out of there after 5 or 6 years, and I actually got a real job that compensates fairly and cares about its employees.

Get real.

Very progressive approach to employee benefits and client support.

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at HUB International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best in practice in terms of how the organization is structured. Has a growing vision of it's position in the marketplace. Management is supportive of continuing education and you leaning quickly about internal process and important compliance issues facing client base. The support offered in compliance, communications and wellness is excellent and offers a platform for success.

Cons

Work life balance is non-existent and salary for support positions is not competitive. Agency just acquired by HUB and there were many cultural changes taking place that made existing employees feel dissatisfied.

Nice people to work with.

Current Employee - Client Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at HUB International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Corporate vision and company values are good although branches have trouble implementing and adhering to same. The work/life balance is a lot of talk and very little reality. Good resources, although they are not utilized to the degree that is possible. People are talented, nice professionals. There is some flexibility in work schedule.

Cons

Work/life balance does not exist except for senior management, although there is a lot of talk about it. Turnover is very high. Support and service team is talented but very thin in numbers. Morale is low.

To the management team: Why is the answer to everything "that's how it is"? Why are the branches denied resources?

Great learning position

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at HUB International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance, great people, willing to help.

Cons

Not all postions have same advantage. The decentralized culture is both a blessing and a curse.

Review of Hub as a Brokerage and as an Employer

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I worked at HUB International full-time

Pros

There are pockets of very qualified high integrity individuals that came to be part of Hub. Mostly these individuals came from an acquisition and are life long employees due to the "golden" handcuffs and not because Hub is the best option as a company.

Cons

Poor leadership, no centralization of resources, sparing resources, no accountability, all about EBITA, not about the "team", staff, or clients.

What goes around comes around!

It's not too bad of a place to work but could be better.

I have been working at HUB International

Pros

Good caring manager, good coworkers.

Cons

Understaffed, overworked, underpaid. salary freezes. Upper management only looking at numbers and not paying attention to the underlying causes.

Recognition of employees' job well done is nice but if that can be followed up with pay increases it would be even better. As someone else stated it appears that it's only the senior management folks who get promoted (and get raises) while staff members do not get anything. To some that's very demoralizing. Where would the organization be without the workers?

GROWING PAINS

I worked at HUB International full-time

Pros

Work life balance is there

Cons

Poor Leadership in the TX region