HUB International Reviews

80 reviews filtered by
3.1
HUB International Chairman and CEO Martin P. Hughes
Martin P. Hughes

Pros
  • The work/life balance is a lot of talk and very little reality (in 5 reviews)

• worked there for 3 months, good people, trainer was patient and helpful (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance does not exist except for senior management, although there is a lot of talk about it (in 3 reviews)

• Low Pay, High stress volume of work, (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Senior Business Analyst

I have been working at HUB International

Pros

flexible working location
    great team
    great office location
    wonderful career growth opportunity
    leadership teams always look for growing opportunities for their team

Cons

I really don't want to share this information. Overall Hub International is a great place to work.

2. Great company, bad business unit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westmont, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westmont, IL

I worked at HUB International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved HUB as a company. I would've stayed at HUB for many more years had I not been in the business unit I was in. The people are great as is the company culture. There is a lot of room to grow in your career and you are given flexibility to drive solutions in creative ways.

Cons

The specific business unit I was in was poorly run and had poor management. I don't feel that leadership was very ethical and I'm concerned for future employees of this specific business unit.

3. Employee Benefits

I have been working at HUB International

Pros

I love working for Hub.It's like a family. We do stuff together and we work towards a common goal. We do a lot of charity work and always have fun doing that.

Cons

Not enough raises or advancement. I can see myself stay here but not sure I will be compensated enough.

5. Pay is fair, great people to work with, old close minded corporate structure

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HUB International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, relax environment, good location, cafeteria next door, fair pay and benefits

Cons

Slow moving and not innovative corporate structure.
    Robotic/mechanic broker mentality

6. They are like a second family - The people make the stress worth it!

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at HUB International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really like where I am, the people are great, the management is awesome. Flexible on time and they don't treat you like children. Everyone helps everyone else. No backstabbing or throwing people under the bus. We all stick together and support one another, whether it be work or personal.

Cons

It is very high stress, the workload. A little chaotic when a new client is brought in, I mean getting our system set up and testing done... a lot of last minute things hat need to happen like yesterday!

Advice to Management

A team of maybe 2 or 3 would be helpful as opposed to 1 person doing EVERYTHING for 3 or 4 accounts.

7. The support of a large company with the feel of a small company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX

I worked at HUB International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

HUB grows primarily by merger and acquisition, followed by organic growth. They do a very good job of acquiring niche agencies that fit well into HUB's culture and then once they acquire the agencies they pretty much let them run unencumbered. Truly amazing in corporate America. The main pros:

Financial backing of a large company (you know money for hardware, software, training, offices, etc.)
    Great benefits (seriously- I relocated and had to change companies, people griped about our benefits when I was at HUB but I really wish I could find a company with the same ones I had)
    Corporate offices allow local offices the flexibility to "get the job done" in the manner that works best for them. Local management is of course responsible for hitting numbers, but that's why they're managers and they would have those responsibilities any where.
    Solid executive leadership, with a clear vision of what they want and how to get there (surprisingly rare as I've come to find).

On a local basis (I worked in the Coppell TX office) the president was really a good, fair person. He always made sure we were paid fairly, including bonuses. If you aren't getting fair bonuses, that is a local problem not a HUB problem. They make plenty of funds available to bonus fairly.

Cons

In the office I was in there was not a lot of room for growth. If you want to be in the insurance world for your career it would be OK but if you want to move into upper management HUB would not be the company for you. They typically hire for corporate positions from outside, not within.

I saw people promoted to very high levels (regional presidents overseeing many offices and hundreds of employees) based pretty obviously on who they were prior to a recent acquisition (you know, they happened to be the son of the owner of a recently acquired agency). Some of these people were really a disaster. Just bad managers, all you could do was wait until they decided they had a big enough pile of money to buy a yacht and leave.

They have had challenges over the years with support- IT and marketing primarily. IT is so much better than it was just a couple of years ago. They hired a really good CIO, and everything changed. Their main problem was when you do so much M&A you end up with a ton of different systems and versions of systems to support. IT support was a mess. The CIO has VASTLY improved this and has been moving HUB towards best in class software. He's also hired some amazing folks to assist not just with supporting current systems but IT projects that the local offices are not equipped to manage well. All that said- marketing as of 2014 when I left was still not supportive of the local offices. They just had too few people to support so many offices.

Advice to Management

While I understand concessions have to be made during the M&A process, do whatever you can to limit putting bad managers in positions of real power. They do a lot of damage.

Give your Marketing Department more money and people so they can better support the local offices. Otherwise the local offices will dilute your branding because they're doing their marketing themselves.

And whatever you do, don't get rid of Barry C.

Loved Working at Hub

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Riverside, CA

I worked at HUB International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers ... Fun Xmas party... Enjoyed going to work.

Cons

Pay was a little low and no opportunity for real salary growth.

Advice to Management

Give the employees some real growth opportunities. Hire from within the company more.

9. Great way to get enter into a complex and much needed industry

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HUB International

Pros

Great work life balance. Smart and inspiring people.

Cons

Not enough technical training. Blurry vision for career development.

10. Bigger is not always better

Current Employee - Benefits Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Benefits Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at HUB International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

San Diego office has a very talented group of employee benefit consultants, has small agency feel even though it is part of a larger firm. The people who helped build the firm are true professionals.

Cons

Politics of larger firm creeping into culture, politics, questionable decisions by senior management, work load not evenly distributed.

Advice to Management

Do not change the culture of the organization. When hiring additional consultants or resources it is very important to hire people that fit the culture and have similar values. Management recently hired a voluntary benefits consultant as a regional resource. It would appear if we are hiring an expert they need to have more experience in the industry (more than 5 years). He quotes his experience with large employers (Walmart, Home Depot) to all carriers as well as his sales success at a former insurance carrier. Multiple carriers have researched his information and have indicated they are all lies -- he never worked on the large clients he is referencing when speaking to our clients. He also did not do well in his sales role at Allstate. The individual spends all his time talking about himself and not listening to the needs of our consultants and our clients. His treatment of our valuable insurance carrier relationships and vendor partners is deplorable. He is not a valued resource internally and a poor representative of our culture and values. His hiring was a mistake and should be corrected.

11. Growth by acquisition

Former Employee - Account Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at HUB International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, Benefits good. Many quality employees

Cons

Sales performance can vary greatly by office/division location. While Hub is very large a local office may have limited growth and/or sales. Be sure to check the office you are interested in. Most of Hub' growth is from the purchase of other brokers rather than organic growth.

Advice to Management

Greater connection and communication between offices.