HUB International

Updated November 16, 2014
2.8

HUB International Chairman and CEO Martin P. Hughes
Martin P. Hughes

Pros
  • The work/life balance is a lot of talk and very little reality (in 5 reviews)

• worked there for 3 months, good people, trainer was patient and helpful (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance does not exist except for senior management, although there is a lot of talk about it (in 3 reviews)

• Low Pay, High stress volume of work, (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Very progressive approach to employee benefits and client support.

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at HUB International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best in practice in terms of how the organization is structured. Has a growing vision of it's position in the marketplace. Management is supportive of continuing education and you leaning quickly about internal process and important compliance issues facing client base. The support offered in compliance, communications and wellness is excellent and offers a platform for success.

Cons

Work life balance is non-existent and salary for support positions is not competitive. Agency just acquired by HUB and there were many cultural changes taking place that made existing employees feel dissatisfied.

Company doesn't care.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at HUB International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I met one of my best friends working here.

Cons

Where do I begin? This was the worst company where I have ever worked. Training was minimal to nonexistent. Raises were not given ("not in the budget" is what we heard every year), people were under paid for how much work we were given. When I was "promoted" I was told a salary amount, however, my paychecks were lower than anticipated. When I questioned the amount of my new salary, I was told that it included an approximate amount for potential bonus....so, basically my salary was hypothetical, not actual. Also, they fired people in groups of 2 or more throughout the years I was there due to "restructuring". The company is a joke. To this day when I hear about someone getting hired at Hub I feel sorry for them. Thank God I was able to get out of there after 5 or 6 years, and I actually got a real job that compensates fairly and cares about its employees.

Get real.

Nice people to work with.

Current Employee - Client Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at HUB International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Corporate vision and company values are good although branches have trouble implementing and adhering to same. The work/life balance is a lot of talk and very little reality. Good resources, although they are not utilized to the degree that is possible. People are talented, nice professionals. There is some flexibility in work schedule.

Cons

Work/life balance does not exist except for senior management, although there is a lot of talk about it. Turnover is very high. Support and service team is talented but very thin in numbers. Morale is low.

To the management team: Why is the answer to everything "that's how it is"? Why are the branches denied resources?

Great learning position

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at HUB International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance, great people, willing to help.

Cons

Not all postions have same advantage. The decentralized culture is both a blessing and a curse.

It's not too bad of a place to work but could be better.

I have been working at HUB International

Pros

Good caring manager, good coworkers.

Cons

Understaffed, overworked, underpaid. salary freezes. Upper management only looking at numbers and not paying attention to the underlying causes.

Recognition of employees' job well done is nice but if that can be followed up with pay increases it would be even better. As someone else stated it appears that it's only the senior management folks who get promoted (and get raises) while staff members do not get anything. To some that's very demoralizing. Where would the organization be without the workers?

GROWING PAINS

I worked at HUB International full-time

Pros

Work life balance is there

Cons

Poor Leadership in the TX region

Review of Hub as a Brokerage and as an Employer

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I worked at HUB International full-time

Pros

There are pockets of very qualified high integrity individuals that came to be part of Hub. Mostly these individuals came from an acquisition and are life long employees due to the "golden" handcuffs and not because Hub is the best option as a company.

Cons

Poor leadership, no centralization of resources, sparing resources, no accountability, all about EBITA, not about the "team", staff, or clients.

What goes around comes around!

Unfulfilled, Overworked and Underpaid

I have been working at HUB International full-time

Pros

It's really hard to give this company any pros...we do have nice company outings every now and then. There are also some great people that work here (I really mean that) which makes things a little more pleasant for me but the bad really outweighs the good at this company. I can't say I enjoy working here.

Cons

I feel burdened every single day here. I feel like I am drowning but the only thing that really keeps me going is the fact that I have a few people to shoot the breeze with.

-The first con is that we are {extremely} understaffed. I don't really understand how this is even allowed to go on for as long as it has and I believe no one in authority or with influence really cares. Someone that's worked there much longer than me filled me in on the company and told me that for as long as they've been there, my department has been the busiest and the most understaffed with a very high turnover. No one wants to work in this department.

- Second con: Pay is low in comparison to the work load. Although, I'm not too sure more money would make working here any more tolerable....

-Third con: There's no integrity. I really don't want to elaborate on this because I want to remain as anonymous as possible...but I've seen some things happen here and I don't understand how so much gets swept under the rug. I really am disgusted...with what I've seen and some of the people I've seen do them.

-Forth con: Technology is outdated. Also, the "higher ups" aren't readily willing to get with times and that makes my job that much more tedious and monotonous.

Fifth con: There was no training. This is extremely problematic, especially for those newcomers (and there will be newcomers because turnover is high).

I don't even bother voicing my frustrations with management because I feel like nothing will be done about it anyway (and I have experienced this as well). The consensus I've gathered from speaking with people that work there about all the problems here is that you have to just learn how to deal or look for something else.

Pay attention to your employees. Morale is low, especially in my department. Turnover is high and will continue to grow because we are notoriously understaffed. I do believe that this is a great company with loads of potential and influence. And some incredible employees work here! However, I don't think that these great people have much incentive to remain here because there isn't enough done to show those employees they are valued and appreciated for all of the hard work they do.

I, personally, feel like I am one of those people. I really have tried to maintain a positive spirit in this environment but it's difficult to keep it up when I feel like I'm doing all this grunt work and not seeing any tangible rewards. I don't feel like I can say what I really want/need to say and I don't feel like even if I could that any of it would matter because people are set in their ways and progressive change is seemingly frowned upon. I'm annoyed and frustrated with the lack of progress and my menial compensation in comparison to the work I do.

This company could really benefit from hiring more younger talent and listening to their ideas. I think this would help with retention, increase efficiency and morale and allow progression to actually take place. Also, consider rewarding employees that work really hard! No matter how long they've been there. This will also help with retention and it would enable them to be even better. And also, please, please, please implement some sort of training program for employees. I have a coworker that could really benefit from some training/coaching...seriously. This will help employees to reach their greatest potential.

Salary for lower positions are not competitive at all

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at HUB International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, recognition lunch, activities to get employees together, time-off, tuition reimbursement.

Cons

The medical insurance is the worst, avoid it at all cost or you'll end up broke for just paying medical expenses. No Holiday bonus but a pettiful $25 gift card.

Be considerate to those who work hard and implement a bonus pay for the holiday. It will make your employees so happy and appreciate the company more.

Waste of Time

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Westmont, IL
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Westmont, IL

I worked at HUB International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good way to get into the industry
    - Most offices are very decentralized so you can come and go as you please

Cons

- Low pay
    - No opportunity to build a book while you are "training"
    - Not a training program, they will say it is but it's really a call center
    - unrealistic goals
    - No transition plan in place, I feel like they try and trap you after you "graduate" to have you keep making calls for producers
    - Broken promises

Don't beat around the bush with candidates, tell them it's a call center. Make sure you have a REAL transition plan in place and make sure you hire sales managers that stay longer than 6 months. I know many people have left Hub International, which is a great company, through the BDT because the program leaves a really bad taste in their mouth. Change the way the program is run, I would copy all of the top competitors and install a training program like theirs. Have the bdm make cold calls, let them go out on the appointment if it closes it goes to THEIR BOOK and upfront commission is split 50/50. Pretty simple... Otherwise they will graduate and leave in 6 months because they have no clue what they are doing.