HUGHES Telematics

Add Photos

Jeff Leddy

QA Intern

I have been working at HUGHES Telematics

ProsGood people at a good company. Very interesting work.

ConsDidn't have any problems while there.

If you do not want to play politics, run the other way!

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at HUGHES Telematics full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat technology, some good people in the ranks. HTI now has the financial backing of Verizon so they are spending money to fix things that they could not afford to fix before the acquisition.

ConsThe good ole boy network remains in place. Most of the original HTI team have been promoted into manager, director and VP positions "just because". Most of them do not have the prior experience to do these jobs and as a result, turnover is extremely high. HR will tell you that they have "average" turnover but they obviously doctor up those numbers. There are some positions/teams that can't keep good people and it is because of the inexperienced management. On the other hand, some managers hired people (their friends) into positions that are not qualified to do the jobs but remain there because they will not be able to get the same title or pay with the attractive Verizon bonus anywhere else! If you fit into the Boys' Club and don't have the skills to do the job, you will be covered. If you don't play their politics, it doesn't matter how well you do the job, they will put more and more work on you until you decide to leave. They typically do not fire many people because they can't keep the good ones due to the work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up Verizon! Learn what you need to know about the telematics business and clean house from the top down! There are so many people who have been hired or promoted since the acquisition who do not belong in the positions they have.

Analyst

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at HUGHES Telematics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLow Cost Medical benefits, Good 401K (1-1 match up to 6%), Annual Bonus, Nice people, for some there is a Telecommute option - Same 1 day each week (after 6months of employment).

ConsLeadership does not promote based on skill yet, whether you are a part of the "Good ole boy" click. Infrastructure is unstable and processes are not scalable or reusable. Churn is very high. Constent change happens daily and cannot be tracked properly because there is no such thing as a Scope document before the work begins. No accountability for missing key deliverables for certain teams(i.e Business dept.). Operational structure is ineffective and decreases team moral & excitement. No appreciation or recongnition for hard work and long hours. No training, you must be able to succeed without mentorship.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit allowing your customers to manage Verizon Telematics aka HTI...get Leadership in house that is not afraid to do what's right for the integrity of the company not only what makes the most money. Invest in your valuable contributors and stop looking down on those who does not say "Yes" to everything. Promote those who work with quality & integrity...especially those who actually make a different on the various projects. Take charge and clean house, the Business/Operations leads need to be revaluated as no one there takes accountability and always point fingers when in fact the quality of work produced is all based on the business requirements(which are not even recommended solutions based on Oracle stack standards).

Manager

Atlanta, GA

I have been working at HUGHES Telematics full-time for more than a year

ProsIncredible product offering and it is a leader in innovation. Potential future growth is impressive if executed correctly. Management is beginning to hire top notch people to fix the system design issues.

ConsLeadership does not invest enough time building the infrastructure and processes for scalability. No accountability for missing key deliverables. Prioritization is lacking by the management team. Organizational structure is ineffective. We only sell what we haven't developed yet. No two products are implemented the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransition from a start up to a real operational company and make the hard decision on personnel changes. If you are going to use consultants for everything, ask yourself how effective are your current employees?

Not eager to reward or recognize success

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at HUGHES Telematics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people and interesting technology

ConsPoor C-suite executive leadership team

Advice to Senior ManagementCelebrate employee successes - and remunerate appropriately

Tremendous career opportunity

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at HUGHES Telematics full-time for less than a year

Prosfast growing - cutting edge technology - start up culture - huge career opportunity

Conshigh performance pressure - very fast growing - little time to train new employees - need to hit the ground running

Good job opportunities...

I have been working at HUGHES Telematics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInnovative and leading edge Telematics company. Fast growing company with many new products coming out in the near future. Comany was just acquired by Verizon bringing a lot of changes, some might even be exciting...

ConsManagement heavy. With fast pace of growth of company,not enough key employees to meet the aggressive deadlines. If you are a workaholic, this company will be a good fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge the great people you have working for you..Understanding that there needs to be a better job to quality of life ratio.

Fast growing company with OK leadership but lacking in overall leadership.

Network Ops (Current Employee)

I have been working at HUGHES Telematics

ProsGood vacation, holiday and health care pkg.
Great place to learn new technologies in telematics.
Good growth which will lead to more jobs, etc.

ConsSenior management is lacking in how to handle the staff as they frown upon most everything.
VP level up is all white males so no diversity in the upper levels so a glass ceiling is present.
VP team is more concerned on show and tell and less on morale as they micro manage people.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP micro managing your staff and spend less time worrying if someone is texting on the phone or taking a break to look up something on the internet and drive revenues. Let middle mgmt handle the teams and get on with making the company profitable. Also less rules and more creative flow allowing teams to not have to submit so much to get things approved which is just a waste of time.

OK

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at HUGHES Telematics

ProsGood technology - one can learn new things.

ConsPoor culture, growth - a very political climate.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to grow people who have been at Hughes for a while.

C+ Leadership Challanged- but trying.

I have been working at HUGHES Telematics

ProsNice middle management that tries hard to keep things moving.
Large important partnerships and customers.

ConsVery little diversity in both thought and color in Sr. Management. Just look at their leadership team on the website.
Communication skills are poor. I listened to several people ask who the guy was in front of the room talking during a large intra-office meeting. It turns out that a group of 8 people did not even know the President of the company and we are just 120 people...and they had been here 7 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They are smart and know what is going on. Get out of the 18th floor and walk around. Very few people on the 17th Floor have ever met the CEO or President. Dress down. You scare the 17th floor. The only time we see you is to deliver bad news.
Smile- Things are actually going pretty good.
We work harder when we know the reasons and why it is important.
Spend less money on software and vendors and more on employees.

Worked for HUGHES Telematics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HUGHES Telematics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HUGHES Telematics CEO Jeff Leddy. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by HUGHES Telematics employees.