HUMAN Healthy Vending

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Sean Kelly

Unmatched Company Culture

Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou will always be pushed here and there is never a dull moment. Everyone around you is working for the same goal and you feel like you are truly part of something big and making a tru impact. You have a lot of autonomy and responsibility here.

ConsBecause it's a fairly new company, there aren't as many resources at your fingertips so you're expected to create a lot of things from the ground up and wear a lot of hats. This is typically a great thing...but certainly can also get overwhelming and expectations are definitely set high.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is very important and companies should always dedicate resources to fulfilling a qualified and dedicated management team within each department.

Marketing Department - Creative Personnel (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsTo say working at HUMAN Healthy Vending has been an incredible journey would be an understatement. What makes it such an awesome place to work are the people. The people here are all seriously high achievers - not just punch-in punch-out 9-5 types - so if you prefer an office environment where you can simply coast by doing an adequate job, this is not the place for you.
    If, like myself, Sean, Andy and the rest of the crew, you are motivated to do more with your life than just live it, and to do more in your role than simply fulfill it, you might be a good fit. If you are an innovator, if you have laser like focus every waking moment and when you dream you dream about the future and not just your next paycheck - if you simply crave and devour challenges every day as they do at HUMAN, and last but not least, if you have an actual desire to help advance a social change for the betterment of our overall health as a nation, this might be the place for you.
    There are ten thousand reasons this company has been featured in Forbes on multiple occasions, but the #1 for their success is the caliber of people they are able to recruit. They ask the right questions and have a very thorough interview process, so they will find out who you really are and if you're the sort of person they are looking for. If they do decide to go with you, will find yourself in a work environment that fosters a strong entrepreneurial spirit and where your direct managers are as committed to your own success are you are. This place has the ability to take people with leadership potential and turn them into true leaders. A lot is expected out of you, but when you deliver the results they want, you are given borderline-excessive appreciation. Being a high performer can also lead to more flexibility in PTO and flextime. So when you're looking into working at HUMAN, the big question is, what caliber person are you?

ConsNo place to buy food in immediate walking distance, so good thing HUMAN has snacks for sale on the premises!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement knows what they're doing at HUMAN - ah, refreshing.

I learned more working at HUMAN than I did in college and high school combined!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe people and the culture that has been created at HUMAN is tremendous. Positivity is everywhere, and there is a culture of collective learning. It's a fun place to work, and if you are the right fit at the company after a couple of months most of your best friends will be from work.

HUMAN is a meritocracy, and if you put in good work you will be rewarded and have the ability to define your track within the company. As they grow there are lots of opportunities to progress within the company, and decisions for promotions are definitely based more on merit than on tenure.

The senior management team is innovative, intelligent, and fun to be around. The corporate structure is pretty flat and you will feel comfortable working and speaking with everyone, regardless of their position. You will work hard, but will be rewarded with awesome company parties and retreats.

Overall fantastic experience!

ConsSince the company is pretty young, as it has grown there is less of a defined mentor ship track. If you are someone who is strong-willed and capable of figuring things out on your own, you will do very well. If you are looking for a standard 9-5 job where you are a cog in the wheel and are looking for consistent promotions, this is probably not the job for you.

Also, one of it's strengths is probably a weakness for some people. If working hard, playing hard, being active and healthy is not for you, then this job might not be for you.

At the time when I left there were no benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs you grow, keep the culture together, focus even more on giving your employees the training they need to be successful in their roles, and keep it up!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great learning experience and the best co-workers you'll find

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsHUMAN is a unique company in the best way. Its founders are setting new rules for future entrepreneurs to follow in their footsteps -- don't expect a typical corporate setting. If you subscribe to the "work hard, play hard" philosophy, you will probably find a great work-life balance. HUMAN's employees are some of the most hard-working yet incredibly fun-loving people you will meet. And if you want to do something where you are making a positive impact on hundreds of communities, you will be very fulfilled by your work.

ConsEchoing what other posters have said, change is perpetually imminent at a company of this size and progressiveness -- you must be able to roll with the punches. Those who are willing to dedicate a lot to the company will see rewards down the line, but it takes quite a bit of committment, hard work, and time. Finally, if either "work hard" or "play hard" does not apply to you, you may find it difficult to feel satisfied at this company.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Working at HUMAN is like being PAID to LEARN Entrepreneurship!

Marketing Queen (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsFrom the time I read the job listing posted by HUMAN I knew it would be a super-beneficial learning environment and truly a special place to work. Not only are the founders now what I would consider mentors, but I can honestly say that I thoughtfully enjoy spending my days with every single employee at HUMAN. HUMAN only hires extremely motivated individuals for a reason. Being able to work with like-minded people in an innovative and positive-thinking environment is truly a phenomenal experience. But most of all, I love that every single day I wake up excited to come to work! It's now been a year of employment and I am more motivated than ever. I learn something new & improve every single day. To me that's what REALLY counts, personal development.

ConsAs a rapidly changing company there are unavoidable bumps in the road that ANY company with the same success will experience. I don't have any complaints, I feel HUMAN does a good job of being transparent and letting you know of any changes prior to them happening. Be prepared for constant change, I personally like change!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing!

Innovative company with top notch business & life training. Your voice matters here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

Pros-Work with a team of intelligent, motivated, positive, youthful individuals
    -Incredible amount of attention paid on your professional and personal development - group "sensei session" every monday to study, discuss and improve
    -Feel good about the positive change we are making across the country
    -"Fail forward" mentality, focus on goal setting, tracking and achievement

Cons-Prepare to be challenged to become better!
    -You are not going to be a small cog in a massive company, or hide in a cubical & be lazy. Every team member is asked to contribute to positive growth for the company. The most successful employees improve our systems and innovate new techniques for company growth & sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've really enjoyed the attention to personal development and goal setting. The sincere care that upper management has for each employee's success in work and in life is inspiring.

Not for the faint of heart - but the juice is worth the squeeze

Easy Nutrition Specialist (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsHUMAN employs a company culture that lets you be whoever you want to be, and really make the most of your individual talents. With an open mindset, humble heart, and tenacious work ethic, you can make your experience at HUMAN whatever you want to be. Truly. People probably say that all the time about their employers, but this is the right mixture of 'ground floor' entrepreneurship and a management team that seeks to develop talent to achieve company results.

ConsThe Pros above are the same reasons this company is a Con for some. This job isn't cushy, isn't a cake walk, and isn't for the passive-minded. There is a relentless pursuit of development (both at the individual level and organizational level), and that's not what everyone is looking for. That's totally ok! Just not what you're going to find at HUMAN.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is going to grow, and grow quickly. If the essence of the HUMAN spirit begins to dilute with the growing employee roster, you'll lose what's gotten the company to where it is today.

Nothing Shy of Awesomeness!!

Marketing (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsFun work environment, fast growing company, lots of opportunities for personal and economic growth. I love working at HUMAN because the people here are so driven. We all love what we do here, and we are committed to helping the world eat healthier.

ConsCan't think of any negatives. Everything about my working at HUMAN has been spectacular. I love everything about this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work Sean and Andy!

Great Company and Great People - I love my job!

ProsThe culture and environment here is like no other. You are surrounded by like minded, incredibly hard working, and driven people. Everyone is on another level which pushes you to want to accomplish more as well.

The company also takes interest in your development as an individual, they actually take the time to help you become more rounded, balanced, and successful. Goal setting, life planning, sensei sessions.. I look forward to coming in every single day.

They actually hope that one day you leave and start your own business! They never let you settle. They don’t accept mediocre or good enough, they expect the best and will push you to get there.

Did I mention how much fun the people are?! With regular social events, get together, we even push each other physically with a regular workout group. My coworkers are also my best friends!

ConsIt is a fast growing company - so you will be asked to do things that maybe weren't "In your job description" so if you don't like change and growth and striving to become better you won't fit.

They do care about YOU so don't' expect to be able to blend in and not be noticed. If you like to do your own thing and aren't social, this probably isn't the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing us to get better!

If you're a fearless trail blazer you'll love it here!

ProsGrass will never grow under your feet. HUMAN is growing at an enormous rate and you are constantly surrounded by unlimited possibilities. With "all hands on deck" you will gain experience in areas that you may never have had the opportunity to be exposed to in another environment.

ConsNo rest for the weary. This is a team effort. You must pull your own weight in order to succeed here!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe experience I've had here so far will stay with me for the rest of my life. I've learned more than I thought possible here. I continue to grow on a personal level as well simply by listening to other people share their stories of success and challenges in our meetings and conference calls. I appreciate the support and resources that are always available when we need them.

Worked for HUMAN Healthy Vending? Contribute to the Community!