HUMANeX Ventures

Brad Black

Achievement Driven, Rewarding and Purposeful

Current Employee - Client Lead and Analyst
    Current Employee - Client Lead and Analyst

I have been working at HUMANeX Ventures full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people
    Awesome mission
    Positive culture that is fun and values relationship building
    Great core values that are shared and lived out each day
    Caring leadership and team members
    Meaningful work centered around making a difference in the lives of client partners and the communities we serve-very altruistic
    Great client partners to work with and for
    Team mentality
    Continuous improvement and creativity
    Strong work ethic

Cons

Not cons at all in my opinion but for those that don't value the same company values it may be hard to find a good fit. I have seen it be hard for people to succeed if they aren't positive, achievement and mission driven because that is what this team is about. Additionally you have to be a team player and have a continuous improvement mindset. If you think you "deserve" a title or certain things handed to you...this will not be a good fit. People are given more growth, responsibility and challenges when they work to achieve and do so through a positive, team orientation.

Continue to select highly driven, positive, team oriented and passionate people who are excited to make a difference both internally and externally. The amazing and smart people in this organization are a reflection of the great culture and leadership; always stay focused on building it by design and staying true to who we are, even if it isn't what or how "the world does."

Good people, good learning experience, but definitely not for the long term

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at HUMANeX Ventures full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the people who work there are truly talented and wonderful people. That is one thing HUMANeX does really well, hires great people. The only problem is they don't provide enough (pay, career opportunities, growth and development) to make people want to stay there.

Another plus is if you are early on in your career and unsure about what you want to do with your professional life you will get experience in a lot of different areas which will help you to understand what you really want to do. However, once you figure out what your passion is, you will never be able to solely focus on that one thing at HUMANeX.

Cons

The CEO wants to approve essentially everything the company does, which makes things move really slow. At times it can take up to 6 months (and counting) to get something approved. They encourage innovation and 'next-level' thinking but then once we do that, it has to be approved and changed into what the CEO wants it to be. It sends the message that the CEO doesn't trust the employees to do the right thing--why hire talented people if you won't let them do their own work!

You can't specialize in one, two or even three different roles. There will be multiple initiatives that everyone in the organization will have to do, no matter what your focuses are.

The company likes certain people and does not like others. And I haven't figured out the rhyme or reason on why they like certain people. If you are not liked, you won't get assigned projects so that you will leave the company yourself. Managers won't really align expectations for you to be 'more liked' and I've heard some say that it's not our culture to align those expectations, you just either fit in or you don't.....what??!

TRUST YOUR EMPLOYEES. You spend a lot of time on the hiring process for a reason. It seems simple to me, hire talented people, trust them to do great work. Don't diminish their effectiveness by taking months to approve something they are working on.

Hire people for one position. Stop trying to make everyone do everything. If the company really wants to be international we are going to need to start specializing and having departments that can focus on certain key functions of the business. To truly provide great service to our client partners this NEEDS to happen. Right now it is just a team of people working on things that we have no idea how to do the right way. We need to hire experts in marketing, sales, etc. in order to be effective. And not to mention, if you hire a salesperson to do sales they will be happy because they will be doing what they love to do. Instead, we have many unhappy people doing sales because they have to.

Pay your employees what they are worth. Recognition for a job well done is not the same as rewarding someone for a job well done. Not paying well but then thanking everyone for how much 'impact' they have makes people bitter. Also, full time employees work A LOT of hours. Much more than 40 hours a week. They need to be paid more to support all of the work they do. It's just not right.

Embarrassing

I have been working at HUMANeX Ventures full-time

Pros

Most times about half of us are interns. HUMANeX can be a nice starting point if you’re inexperienced and need an internship as a launching pad into another organization. Overall most of the people are caring, quality people.

Cons

Falling outside the definition of what “fit” means at HUMANeX will probably mean you’ll fail. Fit at HUMANeX means compliance to the HUMANeX way and doing everything as the CEO orders. It’s hard to be an individual here. Some long-term leaders are really shallow and self-centered. If you join be cautious because several manager/coaches epitomize a wolf in sheep’s clothing. The CEO is also really out of touch with how we feel.

Leadership should stop contributing exaggerated submissions on this site. The submissions are really obvious and embarrassing. One would think if we were truly living “next-level growth opportunities” there would be rebuttals to the negative reviews from real employees. The lack of rebuttals from actual employees means we agree with lots of what’s been said in the negative (and honest) reviews.

Amazing Growth

Current Employee - Analyst & Training and Development Specialist in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at HUMANeX Ventures full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love working with this company thanks to a great team, challenging goals, community based client-relationships, and phenomenal growth opportunities. Since starting here 5 plus years ago, I find that there are many opportunities to participate in the growth and development of people on an individual and organizational level. This is my dream job!

Cons

With amazing growth opportunities, we tend to become very busy around here.

Please consider opening new offices in Colorado and the South East soon.

Disneyland East and West – Not even close

Current Employee - Analyst and Training & Product Development Specialist
    Current Employee - Analyst and Training & Product Development Specialist

I have been working at HUMANeX Ventures full-time

Pros

It is easy to know everyone in both offices. The Kalamazoo office is nice and is in a good location. Company is backed by a billionaire and multi-millionaire.

Cons

The amount of time we waste in senseless meetings is painful to everyone, but no one has the courage to make this known. The majority of meetings do nothing to improve the company, teammates, or client partners. The most painful meeting is the required all-company “alignment” meeting held every Monday. Alignment serves no purpose, but reminds us that we talk a lot, but we don’t really have important work to do.

The CEO trusts no one and will never create a place where people can make decisions. The managers even tell us we’re only here to be loyal foot soldiers for the CEO. If you’re person who has opinions and wants to make decisions, run away from this company.

The CEO lives in a bubble. He is usually drunk on his own false enthusiasm. He claims everyone “grows a foot” each time they write their monthly ESPN reports (Excellence in Successes, Priorities, and Needs). Everyone, and I mean everyone, hates this and finds no long-term value in the process. These reports are a joke and are not the highly rewarding “next-level growth” activity he claims.

Most of what is promised before being hired is a sham. Everyone artificially fawns over the leader and most buy into his trite, empty promises. If you hear him, or others, refer to the two offices as “Disneyland East” and “Disneyland West” don’t believe it for even a second.

Where are the “community model” clients? After 6 years of presence we have no business clients in the Lincoln office. Kalamazoo clients are unimpressed once they figure out our CEO is full of hot air. Without the backing of the two multi-millionaires we would go out of business instantly.

Hire real sales people. Doing this would require the CEO to relinquish some of his power. Since he has serious control issues this won’t happen. This company will never grow. And stop forcing team members into sales roles. We know you do this as a way to deflate the people you don’t like until they quit. Very low-class.

Hire people to be more than interns. Everyone is treated like a child and even the interns find this to be insulting. Those who are capable of more feel so let down here they either leave us or end up so miserable they become ineffective.

Stop saying “we eat our cooking.” We don’t. We pontificate about how awesome we are at every turn. We use words like “next-level” and “excellence” like they’re going out of style. Just saying these words and phrases doesn’t mean any of it is actually true.

Don’t pretend that assigning everyone two coaches (managers) is done to grow individual teammates. This is done to eliminate the possibility that any single manager makes independent decisions. Multiple coaches is really a strategy to guarantee the CEO controls everything.

Don’t claim to be a “collaborative” workplace. Collaboration at Humanex is really “decision by committee.” No one is empowered to make even the simplest of decisions.

Extremely Disappointed NOT AT ALL what they said

I worked at HUMANeX Ventures

Pros

Downtown location, close to the Kalamazoo Mall.
    Promises made, but not kept.
    Some great associates.
    Friendly for the first couple weeks

Cons

Managers need leadership courses to guide employees in right direction.
    No training in specific roles, just figure it out.
    No growth as promised.
    Talented People join this company and are left deflated in a matter of weeks.

Practice what the company believes.
    Grow people, we are begging for it and get nothing from you.
    Hold yourself to high standards, not double standards.
    Stop being scared of associates who challenge your thinking.

Inspiring team, culture, mission, and vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at HUMANeX Ventures full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to have such a positive impact on so many great client partners with amazing team members, and the opportunity to practice our "own cooking" with powerful practices. Growth and opportunities are unlimited!

Cons

With hundreds of client partners across the country, keeping a disciplined focus on all needs and opportunities is our top challenge.

Always be selective regarding talent AND fit for team members

Unprofessional, dishonest and demotivating. It's sad that HUMANeX isn't the company it's trying to train others to be.

I worked at HUMANeX Ventures full-time

Pros

- The first few weeks of employment are a beautiful honeymoon period.
    - The office is a nice facility inside the Radisson.
    - A few of the people there are really, really sweet.

Cons

- The founder will fill your head with lies and false promises to get you excited about finally joining a fantastic company. As you work there, though, you will be disrespected, left out of important communication about you, your position and the company in general, and your role will change as the leadership sees fit - with or without communicating to you about it.
    - Hours and hours are spent in meetings that get you, your team and the company absolutely nowhere. If you are ambitious and want to get things done, you will struggle with group think and trying to sell your idea to everyone else in the company before you can actually implement anything.
    - For a company that promotes talent, teamwork, innovation, creativity and growth, this company does very little to train its people, encourage growth or advance leaders. They don't eat their own cooking.

It's unfortunate that this company has turned out this way. So many talented people join HUMANeX in hopes of finally becoming part of a "dream team", but that just isn't the case. So many people leave hurt, upset and frustrated. If the management would be more honest and open with employees, follow through on their promises and be a good representative of their own teachings, this would be a totally different company.

Rewarding and Purposeful

I have been working at HUMANeX Ventures full-time

Pros

I feel lucky to work for an organization which places such high value on collaboration and purposeful client design and service. Working for Humanex allows me to grow my own effectiveness as a leader of others as you influence the business and education sectors of our country. The company follows a community based approach of improving selection, growth and engagement of internal and external partners. I personally feel as though I have learned so much about human behavior and am inspired on a daily basis by an incredible and dynamic leader. When you work for Humanex, you are surrounded by like minded individuals and by this I mean individuals who share a passion for continuous growth and improvement. Although from very different backgrounds and industries, the common thread is partnership, passion, purpose and hard work.

Cons

As a relatively new organization, there are always questions of process in a growth oriented business. This comes with time and the right team working on this improvement will make process steps to align our goals.

Continue to select the very best, follow a vision to impact and inspire others and finally, always stay true to your growth and true client-partner model.

An inspiring, challenging and fulfilling career with amazing and caring people!

I have been working at HUMANeX Ventures full-time

Pros

The Team-The people are positive, service-oriented, fun and genuinely care about you as a person. Everyone loves working on teams together and collaboration is highly valued. At all levels, from interns to leadership everyone supports and partners with everyone.
    Development-You have the opportunity to learn so much and experience new things based on your passions and interests. You have core responsibilities and responsibilities to the team and organization needs, but they always work to align your passions with opportunities and/or help you create them. They invest in your growth and you are trusted with a lot of responsibility, challenged with high expectations coupled with support, freedom and empowerment to do your job.
    The Culture-The leadership and team there have created a dynamic culture. Top qualities valued are: continuous improvement and new ideas, passion, positivity, high expectations, service orientation, flexibility, collaboration, learning, caring about people as a whole (personally and professionally) and integrity.
    The Work-The opportunity to partner with and support some of the neatest people across industry-Education, Manufacturing, Hospitality, Healthcare etc. The clients are great. The mission is inspiring and the work is meaningful.

Cons

Not really a con just a reality of a smaller and new organization is establishing processes. The team is very flexible and service oriented and strives to customize to client needs which at times can create a lack of structure but there are a lot of people that have a talent and passion to help support this and are making great strides.
    Another reality of a smaller and newer organization is the need for diversity in roles. As the organization continues to grow I can see it starting to move toward having more definition in roles.

Keep up the great work in selecting such caring, honest, service oriented, driven and smart people-a true testament and reflection of your leadership and the things you value. It is inspiring to have just celebrated the companies 5 year anniversary and to see so many people that have been there from the very beginning.