Habitat for Humanity Reviews

Reset
3.9
Habitat for Humanity CEO and Director Jonathan T. M. Reckford
Jonathan T. M. Reckford

Pros
  • you're learning new skills while helping people to get a home (in 11 reviews)

• You're able to really make a difference in the lives of people in need (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • All the typical limitation of a non profit sector job, such as medical coverage (in 14 reviews)

• No International Support to local areas, Board of Directors will not step in to challenge the directors when they are making poor decisions (in 5 reviews)

No possibilities for growth

Former Employee - I Lost Track in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - I Lost Track in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was such a wonderful place to work. I always said I "worked with" or "served" with Habitat. I felt like I was really making a difference in what I was doing at the time, yet there were almost 1000 employees. I was promoted several times over a span of several years, and felt very appreciated in my work and efforts. I couldn't wait to get to work, and stayed late almost every night. I always turned down all merit increases, asking that it be put to use where it was needed more.

Cons

When the original founder left (involuntarily), it just went downhill. The feeling of family and interest in growing their employees went right out the window. They began hiring outside consultants and corporate based staff just looking to make their mark and leave like a fart in the wind. From then on, the only way to move up in the organization was if your boss left, and even then it was doubtful that was going to happen. The interview process took days, and included well over 12 different meetings. Even after that, they decided to hire outside. Again, they left their mark, then just left. I was bounced from one department to another, never given any solid direction, then accused of low productivity. I'd really recommend finding another organization that values their staff and still looks to do good rather than grow uncontrollably. Senior management just doesn't have the ability to drive the staff they have currently do grow the right way.

Advice to Management

Slow down and look to who you have now. There is so much knowledge and care for the organization in staff that have been around for well over 15, 20 years and longer. They care, and want to be there to help those looking for a hand up.

2. decent place to work

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity part-time

Pros

Great Mission and project to work for. People are always friendly and it is fun to meet the homeowners and help them through the entire process.

Cons

Lots of turnover in ReStore and the affiliate is unorganized at times. I feel like the smaller the affiliate, the more chaotic it can become.

Advice to Management

Great affiliate management, ReStore could use better management.

3. Volunteer Work

Former Employee - ReStore Worker in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - ReStore Worker in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Habitat for Humanity (More than a year)

Pros

The non-for-profit organization helps out the community, I worked with amazing people in the team, and it was a friendly and helpful atmosphere.

Cons

It can get pretty boring sometimes because the ReStore is sometimes not busy, so you might end up sitting around doing nothing or desperately digging for something to do while you wait for customers to come in.

Advice to Management

I understand that this is a non-for-profit organization, but I think that the location of the ReStore is not a great location. It should be located in a more populated, low-income region of Mississauga like Lakeshore Road East/Clarkson region where it could be of even better use and make the store busier.

5. Great org!

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity (Less than a year)

Pros

Great organization, wonderful staff, important mission that has a deep impact on the lives of deserving local families. Highly recommended!

Cons

No cons to report on Habitat Greater San Francisco

6. donation center coordinator

Current Employee - Donation Center Coordinator in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Donation Center Coordinator in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Opportunity to provide a service to the community, recycle materials that would otherwise be in the landfill and help people find adequate housing.

Cons

There are many volunteers that are not truly interested in what they are doing and we often don't have an adequate number of volunteers.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a greater flow of volunteers. Volunteers need to have more training. There need to be more paid staff.

7. Sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate in East Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in East Joliet, IL

I worked at Habitat for Humanity (More than a year)

Pros

Clean place to work, do help a few other non-profit organizations. Supervisor was amazing! very good training for the position

Cons

Upper management needed to be revamped, people treated with very little respect. Pay for the position was minimal. No advancement opportunities.

8. Great mission

Former Employee - Construction Site Assissant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Construction Site Assissant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

Was able to learn a lot of construction techniques and great networking with the volunteers and getting to know the partner families.

Cons

Management is slow to change, more concerned with the appearance of a house than it's actual quality. Lots of favoritism among construction management.. Construction department takes a back seat to all other departments inside the organization.

9. Great place to work!

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

The organization is well known and offers great programs for the community. The workplace is family oriented and co-workers are caring and hard working. Discount at the ReStores!

Cons

Non-profit salary and not a lot of opportunities to move up.

Advice to Management

Stay consistent among all departments.

10. Donations Scheduling Coordinator

Current Employee - Donations Scheduling Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Donations Scheduling Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Habitat for Humanity has a great mission and helps people all over the world!

Cons

There is hardly any room for growth within the company, and it is non-profit pay.

11. CEO -Seattle King County

Former Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Renton, WA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People-Great Mission = Rewarding Results & Changed Lives! Habitat for Humanity really builds lives for working families!

Cons

Tough Work - not for the faint of heart or non-committed Complex business model

Advice to Management

Keep building and not to let up!

RSS Feed </> Embed