Habitat for Humanity

Updated September 16, 2014
4.1

Habitat for Humanity CEO and Director Jonathan T. M. Reckford
Jonathan T. M. Reckford

Pros
  • You're able to really make a difference in the lives of people in need (in 6 reviews)

• The work is very rewarding because you are helping people in need (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • this place is non-profit so there's really not much wrong with it (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay for the amount of work required (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Allows a great opportunity to grow or if retired bring in some extra income while helping grow an organization.

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

provides good benefits, a diverse work group, community interaction is high, ability to move up (which could be slow), locations around the US and world.

Cons

Low wages, at times it is hard to get full time, mission is to help families in need but they fail to help their employees in need. I think they could build smaller and more affordable homes.

Take better care of those that work within the organization and affiliates. You should even count those as families served.

Aweful leadership with lack of vision and support of employees

I worked at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

Great, friendly customers who care about reuse/recycling. Coworkers in my department were always hardworking. 10 day break between Christmas and NYE.

Cons

Discontent between ReStore employees and HFHSTL proper. ReStore employees get paid much less than others in the organization that work in the office often when they have the same skills and education as their counterparts.

HFHSTL's mission is to help homeowners get homes with zero interest by "sweat equity". But in 2011 when the bank for HFHSTL forgave ALL of the late payments from homeowners, HFHSTL took the money, but continued to charge the homeowners late payments and fees on top of that. I couldn't stay there after that.

Directors do not give reviews on time; you have to contsantly "remind" them in order to get one.

Get rid of the caustic Director's who inhibit growth and potential of good employees. Give ReStore employees a higher salary to retain the good ones. The sales of the store more than pay for it while still contributing to HFH funds.

Mixed feelings

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In general Habitat for Humanity International employees good people who care about the mission and are focused on engaging on the right partners.

Cons

Senior Management is an issue. They are more concerned about their own individual agendas and how they feel they can achieve the mission rather than uniting so that they accomplish this as a team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working here is rewarding. It is more than "just a job"

I worked at Habitat for Humanity part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The community involvement. The spirit of the employees.

Cons

No job growth unless with you are with a very large affiliated or working at Corporate. Pay not very much for the hours you need to put in. You have to wear multiple "hats".

Communication with the employees.

Marketing Intern

I worked at Habitat for Humanity as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Exposure to all level of marketing in a non-profit environment

Cons

There should have been a better strategy for field activities

Keep doing the same

Habitat for Humanity

Former Employee - Volunteer  in  Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Trenton, NJ

I worked at Habitat for Humanity as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Great company, excellent friendly co-workers. Volunteers are very caring, and provide an excellent work community.

Cons

Requires patience, leadership, and a general positive attitude. A unique work environment that may take some getting used to.

Fantastic volunteer opportunity

Current Employee - Volunteer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Provide a hand up to hard working people. Great community building. Learn new skills and meet new people, with diverse backgrounds.

Cons

At times the work can be quite strenuous.

Continue to use Americorp to shore up your crew management.

Wonderful experience! Thanks to an incredible team and supervisor, I have grown tremendously.

I worked at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

People, work-life balance, mission, benefits

Cons

I don't have much to say in this area, other than the compensation is rather low given the job responsibilities

Increase compensation so that talented employees can stay there longer!

Very disappointing first work experience out of college

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fascinating community (working with volunteers to women prisoners to drug and alcohol rehab volunteers).

Cons

As an AmeriCorps member, pay was horrendous. There's no worse feeling than putting your college degree to work for minimum wage. No matter what the experts say, underemployment is worse than unemployment.

Physically draining, heavy workload, hostile manager.

Try to brainstorm ways to utilize the full resources of your full-time staff, as well as full-time AmeriCorps members in a holistic way. If someone has a master's degree (as did one of my co-workers), try to find a more meaningful use of their time than caulking windows for 7 hours per day.

My experience was great. Great experience working with a non profit organization.

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Orangeburg, SC
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Orangeburg, SC

I worked at Habitat for Humanity as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment, a great deal of diversity. The schedule was flexible and as a intern I was exposed to many situations that have helped me grow.

Cons

There isn't a stable workforce so that sometimes leaves the work to a few people. This makes projects sometimes exceed time restrictions.

Worked for Habitat for Humanity? Contribute to the Community!