Habitat for Humanity Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Accountant

Pros

Skilled personnel is lacking in various departments.

Cons

There were no benefits for employees at my location.

Advice to Management

Hired qualified personnel

No possibilities for growth

Former Employee - I Lost Track in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - I Lost Track in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was such a wonderful place to work. I always said I "worked with" or "served" with Habitat. I felt like I was really making a difference in what I was doing at the time, yet there were almost 1000 employees. I was promoted several times over a span of several years, and felt very appreciated in my work and efforts. I couldn't wait to get to work, and stayed late almost every night. I always turned down all merit increases, asking that it be put to use where it was needed more.

Cons

When the original founder left (involuntarily), it just went downhill. The feeling of family and interest in growing their employees went right out the window. They began hiring outside consultants and corporate based staff just looking to make their mark and leave like a fart in the wind. From then on, the only way to move up in the organization was if your boss left, and even then it was doubtful that was going to happen. The interview process took days, and included well over 12 different meetings. Even after that, they decided to hire outside. Again, they left their mark, then just left. I was bounced from one department to another, never given any solid direction, then accused of low productivity. I'd really recommend finding another organization that values their staff and still looks to do good rather than grow uncontrollably. Senior management just doesn't have the ability to drive the staff they have currently do grow the right way.

Advice to Management

Slow down and look to who you have now. There is so much knowledge and care for the organization in staff that have been around for well over 15, 20 years and longer. They care, and want to be there to help those looking for a hand up.

3. Great place to work!

Pros

The organization is well known and offers great programs for the community. The workplace is family oriented and co-workers are caring and hard working. Discount at the ReStores!

Cons

Non-profit salary and not a lot of opportunities to move up.

Advice to Management

Stay consistent among all departments.

5. Donations Scheduling Coordinator

Current Employee - Donations Scheduling Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Donations Scheduling Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Habitat for Humanity has a great mission and helps people all over the world!

Cons

There is hardly any room for growth within the company, and it is non-profit pay.

HFHI volunteer engagement specialist

Former Employee - HFHI Volunteer Engagement Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - HFHI Volunteer Engagement Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Chance to meet others with similar priorities/values Mission-driven Great for resume Great experience networking with many HFH affiliates and other organizations

Cons

- Was based in Americus, Georgia for the majority of my time at HFHI; a fine life experience to have (for a limited time), however VERY poor work life balance there. Once I was relocated to Atlanta (not typical for most Americus-based employees), because of greater amenities in the city I enjoyed better work/life balance and rarely worked outside of office hours. - While I enjoyed an increase in pay upon relocating (in the ballpark of 25%), salary was still low compared with what other nonprofits would pay for equivalent positions. - Employees often groomed for and promoted to management positions with little to no experience, barely there training, poor management skills. This was frustrating because it was folks in middle management positions that I often relied on to listen to me and advocate for me in order to do my job successfully. - Managers typically overworked, undertrained, barely recognized. - Senior leadership often lacks emotional intelligence, ability to treat lower level employees as people. - It made sense to leave-- with rumored transitions and uncertainty on the horizon, generally poor department leadership, very low morale across the whole program, feeling quite disconnected from most of the rest of my team and waning passion for my daily work.

Advice to Management

Invest in good leadership from directors down to the managers running programs and the employees implementing said programs. Plan to move Americus-based staff to Atlanta; you're unable to hire competitively and retain great employees with most of some teams based in small-town Georgia. If the goal is to create a world-class program, you MUST invest in acquiring and retaining the right talent. HFHI has seem tremendous turnover due to very low levels of investment in key staff and their insistence on keeping young professional programming staff in Americus.

7. Great Job, Rewarding Work

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rewarding work and strong company focus on specific segment of the housing continuum Get to meet a lot of new interesting people everyday and continually develop construction and leadership skills

Cons

Sometimes long commutes depending on your site location Long days and tiring work at certain stages of construction

8. CEO -Seattle King County

Former Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Renton, WA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People-Great Mission = Rewarding Results & Changed Lives! Habitat for Humanity really builds lives for working families!

Cons

Tough Work - not for the faint of heart or non-committed Complex business model

Advice to Management

Keep building and not to let up!

9. Manager

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Family oriented place of work

Cons

Low pay, not organized, favoritism is noticeable

10. Local Affiliate in NC

I worked at Habitat for Humanity (More than 5 years)

Pros

Habitat has a compelling mission and the way it serves families and communities makes profound positive change. The work also exposes you to a lot of people within the community. Between volunteers, sponsors, donors, and partner families you're bound to meet some interesting people.

Cons

The home ownership model can be constraining. Organizational change and growth are limited by outside funding sources that can be very frustrating to deal with.

Advice to Management

Take more risks with changing the delivery model of services. Home ownership is not the panacea of alleviating poverty. Affordable rental is a vital alternative to allow families to accumulate wealth in ways other than home equity.

11. site leader

Pros

Hands on training leadership skills polished

Cons

working outdoors in extreme weather conditions

RSS Feed </> Embed