Habitat for Humanity Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Getting to interact with future homeowners, volunteers and donors is one of the many parts of my job.

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

The organization is wonderful. Working for them I get to go home knowing I made a difference. We provide affordable housing to low income families and a wonderful "side effect", if you will, to that is we also build up the community/neighborhood. It a win win.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to move up as most "branches" have their own network and to save expenses (as we're non-profit) we have a lot of volunteers. Which is great but fills in the "gaps" so to speak.

Advice to Management

Listen to your surroundings and to your associates. Usually those who work for you are your main contact. Trust them because they're in it day in and day out. They see so much more then we think and they really do have a great knowledge on what works and what might need improvement. Use that knowledge, don't judge it or brush it off.

Positive work environment

Former Employee - Volunteer Builder in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Volunteer Builder in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Habitat for Humanity part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really liked working at Habitat Humanity. I was mostly at their Yonkers, NY location but I was also at the New Rochelle, NY location based on company needs. I was a volunteer but I learned a lot nonetheless. I got to work with base board, painting, and many other aspects of building a house. Coming from a suburb of NYC I did not grow up using power tools. However, I am comfortable to say that the experience was very enriching.

Cons

The only downside was that I was unpaid. I did however get paid for a small job at an off-site location with one of the managers. He paid me a decent wage and it felt nice to be rewarded for my efforts.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that management gets a little more organized. Managers would sometimes speak over one another and since the firm was a non profit they were not as organized as a for profit firm would be.

Great Experience

I worked at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

Great Experience, Management provided all the training that was needed to succeed. Great opportunity for growth within the company, excellent all around experience.

Cons

Need more opportunity for growth within the organization.

Great company.

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Inspiring. It was wonderful to see the impact of our work on a daily basis and be able to help so many people in the community to improve their lives. Very well managed, as well, and good focus on things like benefits and career development.

Cons

Habitat for Humanity International could have been more hands on with the local affiliates to provide more direction and partnership/collaboration in certain areas, such as marketing, public relations, etc.

Advice to Management

Habitat for Humanity International could consider collaborating more with the affiliates.

Great, supportive employer pursuing a worthy mission for affordable housing

I worked at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

Leaders exhibit a focus on serving the community, and the scope of the organization's work is expanding

Cons

Opportunities for advancement were very limited due to staff size

Advice to Management

Continue expanding staff training and benefits in order to retain talented staff with organizational memory

7. Volunteer, ReStore

Former Employee - Volunteer in Greenville, NC
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Greenville, NC

I worked at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

Giving Back/Satisfying Work, Schedule Own Volunteer Hours, Great Co-workers

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

8. Manager

I worked at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

Mission driven, women lead organization

Cons

Politics prevent getting all of strategic goals met

Advice to Management

Make sure all of your programs are strategically supported.

9. Helping the Community

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

Helping others, Flexible Hours, Understanding supervisors, pleasant co-workers, positive feedback

Cons

Volunteer only, No paying jobs available, working with donated items(sometimes very dirty), On feet all day, very physical labor.

10. I worked in development at a chapter of Habitat for Humanity, but I worked with HFHI directly on many occasions.

Former Employee - Development Associate
    Former Employee - Development Associate

I worked at Habitat for Humanity part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well respected, good work life balance, great mission, very respected brand name that is well-known in the non-profit world, and really the world at large.

Cons

Can be hard to balance all the different priorities within any given department. The chapter I worked at had a lot of marketing work in development along with fundraising.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job communicating with local and regional chapters. Really no serious complaints here. Just keep doing the same thing. Or at least as of 2012 this would be my advice.

Great organization! Doesn't feel like work

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator (AmeriCorps)
    Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator (AmeriCorps)

I worked at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

Best co-workers ever! Great management. Healthy work-life balance encourage. Birthday counts as a paid holiday :)
    10 days off for Christmas.... And the work you do is meaningful and involved!

Cons

Commit to working hard and potentially extra hours during important events. But really nothing else- As long as you believe in the mission it's a great atmosphere to do it in!

RSS Feed </> Embed