Habitat for Humanity

Updated December 16, 2014
4.0

Habitat for Humanity CEO and Director Jonathan T. M. Reckford
Jonathan T. M. Reckford

Pros
  • Working for a worthy cause, helping people to build homes (in 11 reviews)

• You're able to really make a difference in the lives of people in need (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • this place is non-profit so there's really not much wrong with it (in 14 reviews)

• Board of Directors can be challenging if the organization does not have a clear vision for the future (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

There is not a lot of room for improvement or motivation.

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

Working with the volunteers is rewarding

Cons

Pretty unorganized environment and demanding

Complete lack of focus on the mission, ego driven, upper management fighting all the time, very high turnover

Current Employee - Volunteer Coordinator
    Current Employee - Volunteer Coordinator

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Volunteers are very giving of their time, want to help the organization

Cons

Paranoid management, directors always fighting with each other, Executive Director does nothing about the issues in the organization, my first week there 4 people quit, mission is never talked about

Focus on why we are there-to build houses for low-income houses, not build up your egos. I worry for the future for this local chapter.

Fun, growing, work place

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Canandaigua, NY
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in Canandaigua, NY

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good mix of independence and support when you need it. All employees are brand representatives. While it is a relaxed work environment, management has reasonable expectations for professional behavior and development.

Cons

It's a non-profit, hence pay will be lower than private sector. Most of my co-workers are unpaid volunteers, so this work environment is not for introverts.

Keep up the open door policy, the ED is very approachable.

This was an excellent & valuable volunteer experience

Former Employee - Volunteer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Habitat for Humanity part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is character-building experience that is invaluable.

Cons

I have no cons for the time I spent volunteering with this organization

A wonderful place to work

Former Employee - Cashier in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Cashier in Salem, OR

I worked at Habitat for Humanity as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

you're learning new skills while helping people to get a home

Cons

The building wasn't weatherized so too hot in summer and too cold in winter.

Allows a great opportunity to grow or if retired bring in some extra income while helping grow an organization.

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

provides good benefits, a diverse work group, community interaction is high, ability to move up (which could be slow), locations around the US and world.

Cons

Low wages, at times it is hard to get full time, mission is to help families in need but they fail to help their employees in need. I think they could build smaller and more affordable homes.

Take better care of those that work within the organization and affiliates. You should even count those as families served.

Best Place I've Served

Former Employee - Construction Crew Leader in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Construction Crew Leader in Omaha, NE

I worked at Habitat for Humanity as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The people are amazing, the job is rewarding, you're meeting new people and obtaining new skills everyday, AND you're doing a great service to your community. What more could you ask for?

Cons

Not going to lie, it can be a lot of work.

Love you guys.

Awkward Summer Internship

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This company has a great mission and is an effective proponent of affordable and quality housing. That being said, note that while they are somewhat in the "construction" sector they are by no means a company that takes on builders, engineers, architects, planners, etc. They hire independent consultants for all of that.

Cons

If you aren't in business or management, this isn't the place for you. Having knowledge of the construction industry helps but it makes you more knowledgeable than you need to be, and in the wrong areas.

Aweful leadership with lack of vision and support of employees

I worked at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

Great, friendly customers who care about reuse/recycling. Coworkers in my department were always hardworking. 10 day break between Christmas and NYE.

Cons

Discontent between ReStore employees and HFHSTL proper. ReStore employees get paid much less than others in the organization that work in the office often when they have the same skills and education as their counterparts.

HFHSTL's mission is to help homeowners get homes with zero interest by "sweat equity". But in 2011 when the bank for HFHSTL forgave ALL of the late payments from homeowners, HFHSTL took the money, but continued to charge the homeowners late payments and fees on top of that. I couldn't stay there after that.

Directors do not give reviews on time; you have to contsantly "remind" them in order to get one.

Get rid of the caustic Director's who inhibit growth and potential of good employees. Give ReStore employees a higher salary to retain the good ones. The sales of the store more than pay for it while still contributing to HFH funds.

Most unchristian Christian organization

Former Employee - To Revealing to Put In in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - To Revealing to Put In in Toledo, OH

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

To be able to work for an cause that you believe in and to assist people in creating new lives.

Cons

Many of the affiliates are so used to rely on volunteers to help that they feel that their employees are supposed to be like volunteers: by working for an minimum wage and sacrifice everything for them.

The affiliate I worked at had had a super CEO that everyone absolutely loved and that expanded it from one that built 1 or 2 houses a year to about 20 a year. After him there was a row of CEO's and interim CEO's. When one was finally found. The place was run more like an corporation than a place with a heart and an important cause to carry on. The CEO salary tripped while 10 of the 12 staff was dismissed. Kind of embarrassing when the CEO is driving an Mercedes SUV into disadvantaged neighborhoods and hard for staff to explain that they cannot be helped due to not enough budget.

In general the affiliate was very christian, which is fine, but they would marginalize people who are not. Also embarrassing when the white Midwestern conservative staff is trying to put on a "Christian" face an invite the "other faith" partner family to a party for them with hot dogs including pork. They never even realized why people were not partaking in the food. Also, I do not think the partner families know how much badmouthing some of the staff is giving behind their back. Saying things like how needy they are and how ungrateful. In the end this affiliate has hurt a lot of people, including myself and previous coworkers. Still get a stomach ache when the organizations name comes up.

If thinking about joining the organization in any way shape or form, please check out the various affiliates and how they really operate and not the glossy face they put on to the community.

Habitat for Humanity Photos