Hachette Book Group

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Young

Colleagues are a wonderful and the size of the company is perfect, excellent benefits

Executive Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent benefits, flexible hours, good colleagues

ConsUpper level management can be slow

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you get paid 50% more than your staff, ask yourself if you provide 50% more value to the company than your staff.

Good people mostly...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsColleagues passionate about publishing, meet interesting people, authors.
    Good benefits and overall fun and good place to work

ConsNo room for advancement. Even with extensive performance reviews, not many seem to advance.
    middle staff not always appreciated for the time and effort they put into work.
    Some managers not good at managing other people and efficency falls through the cracks.

Wonderful company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company was fun with a lot of people who were passionate about the work they were doing.

ConsIt can be difficult to advance leading to stagnant work conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo generate interest and better work conditions, be more open to ideas and adaptable to the changing technologies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on where you work - it's either a dream come true or a nightmare

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt matters where you work - if you are with LB, FaithWords or Orbit/Yen, you're in a good place. The teams have a strong senior management team in place.

ConsIf you're in GCP or LBYR, good luck to you. Mismanaged, no strategic direction, a mess. Routinely would see people in tears in their cubicles.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew CEO is incoming, it should make a difference. But applying the same standards throughout the 5 divisions would certainly help. LB shouldn't be run that differently from LBYR and GCP, but it is. It's functional, the other groups are not.

Best Intern Experience

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat program for interns that allows them to learn about all the different departments and positions at the company. Forms an overall picture of how publishing works. Office staff is very warm and helpful towards interns, willing to meet and have conversations.

ConsLots of interns every summer so arguably lots of competition to really stand out (but doesn't it work like that everywhere?). Also intern work is not the best (a lot of mailing or data entry, for example), but that's also how being an intern works, and the people who have real positions have to do those things too.

Warm, inviting, family like culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe People!! Lots of tenure at HBG and plenty of friendly faces. The Boston office was around 200 employees while I was there but it never felt like it.

Books!! Its not a requirement, but most people that work for HBG have a strong passion for publishing and books in one capacity or another. Since I left there my bookshelves have sadly dimished, haha. Authors would occasionally come into the Boston office - always fun!

Benefits!! The company provides great benefit packages for their employees to choose from. Everything from the typical medical, dental, vision, 401k to other programs like backup childcare, matching gift donations to non profits/charities and tuition reimbursement.

ConsCompensation - Publishing in general pays at the lower end of compensation. Although they try to make up for this in other benefits and ways it can be hard to not be disappointed.

Career Development - The companie tries to offer career development opportunites whenever possible for internal employees, however since it is a relatively small company and many people stay for a long time (15-20-25+ yrs tenure!) movement is slow.

OK place to work

Warehouse Lead (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsPretty stable job. The warehouse has never had a layoff. The warehouse does a pretty good job at keeping the temperature down in the summer.

ConsLower end of the pay scale, job growth potential is very low. Management doesn't relate or try to relate to the floor workers.

Wonderful learning experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat environment to cultivate fresh talent, nice co-workers and supervisors who are passionate about their craft and the book world, great guidance, open-door policy, summer-hours and all the free books one could ever want. Very organized internship program that gives you detailed insight on all the jobs and functions of a publishing house and how they work together.

ConsCommunication between departments working together on some projects could be better.

A great publishing house! The best publishing house in NYC.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people, great benefits! The best publishing house in NYC.

ConsPublishing doesn't pay well enough

Such a wonderful community to work with!

Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAs long as you take the initiative, there are so many people that are willing to meet with you and help out with your intern experience. I learned so much!

ConsBig turn over rate in some departments, little chance for advancement in others

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to engage employees - like the CEO inbox

Worked for Hachette Book Group? Contribute to the Community!