Hachette Book Group

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Young

It's a good company that looks after it's people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsA lot of great talent and the products are some of the best in the industry. Also very organized and streamlined.

ConsYou can have difficult people and not many options for intervention. Folks with difficult personalities can be in managerial positions with no incentive to improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a formal mediation option for employees so good willed efforts for bettering relationships is documented.

A good place to work if you have muscles!

Bulk Storage (Current Employee) Lebanon, IN

Prosyou get plenty of exercise

ConsIt is an amazing place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementBe strong

Great Place to Work

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEveryone is super nice and super friendly

ConsThings move a bit slowly here. Projects get killed

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Intern Experience

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat program for interns that allows them to learn about all the different departments and positions at the company. Forms an overall picture of how publishing works. Office staff is very warm and helpful towards interns, willing to meet and have conversations.

ConsLots of interns every summer so arguably lots of competition to really stand out (but doesn't it work like that everywhere?). Also intern work is not the best (a lot of mailing or data entry, for example), but that's also how being an intern works, and the people who have real positions have to do those things too.

Wonderful learning experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat environment to cultivate fresh talent, nice co-workers and supervisors who are passionate about their craft and the book world, great guidance, open-door policy, summer-hours and all the free books one could ever want. Very organized internship program that gives you detailed insight on all the jobs and functions of a publishing house and how they work together.

ConsCommunication between departments working together on some projects could be better.

filled with learning.

ProsGreat work atmosphere. Great hires.

ConsLow Pay. Need more room for growth.

I am very satisfied here and always look forward to coming to work; no two days are the same.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere is always a great fostering of a team/family mentality. The company offers many opportunities for coworkers from different departments to come together and get to know one another, for instance an annual company picnic, pool tournaments, and softball and volleyball teams. The vacation and benefits package are great and give employees plenty of opportunity to refresh themselves to be even better workers and not burn out. Coworkers are great, and the majority are supportive and eager to help.

ConsOften, there are issues communicating with other departments because one doesn't really understand what the other does and what they need to accomplish their tasks. Sometimes upper management's goals are implemented without much discussion with the people who will actually be responsible for making them happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way for departments that work closely on a regular basis to come to a better understanding of each other's needs so that each can be productive. Fully understand what all your employees are capable of doing and how much they are capable of handling; communicate with everyone on every level.

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat management, benefits are wonderful, I really enjoyed all of the other staff as well. HOnestly, just a great place to work.

ConsSometimes the work could be pretty tedious, and boring. Some of the divisions have a "snooty" feel to them, with the publishers avoiding contact with "lesser folk".

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your underlings - there are tons of great ideas floating around, but too often you close them off and dont listen.

Great Place to Work

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat people, great environment, creative, fun. Most peple who worked where I did had been there for over 10 years.

ConsCorporate, sometimes felt like the smallest drop in the bucket, which I was in a company that is as alrge as HBG.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuery your employees when you have a problem or are changing policies-they know how the buiness is running, and will be honest.

High Standards and

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat focus on delivering successful and high quality publications. Good Compensation. Strong HR department. Generous benefits. High Integrity.

ConsCan be extremely political. Some execs are extreme micro managers. Some old school people need to clear out at the top so more progressive leadership can work it's way to all levels. Too much top secret info--overkill. Need to be more open innovative.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have safe places to discuss issues.

Worked for Hachette Book Group? Contribute to the Community!