Hachette Book Group

3.2

David Young

Great Intern Experience

I worked at Hachette Book Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very welcoming and friendly environment.
    You can take free books home.
    A very thorough and well thought out program for interns that really helps give you great insight on the industry and the various departments.
    You truly learn a lot about the industry.
    You never know who you will run into.

Cons

As an intern, I didn't really find anything to complain about. Maybe it can depend on which department you're working in.

Overall, a good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hachette Book Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great colleagues, interesting and stimulating projects/work, fun atmosphere and many company events, good perks (free books!) and benefits including 401k matching, charitable donation matching, a decent amount of vacation time, and a good health plan

Cons

Some departments have good managers and lots of growth opportunities, but some unlucky departments have the opposite. Wages are on the low end, even for publishing. Work can be either very slow or very stressful—there is no in-between.

Don't be so comfortable with the status quo—take seriously the concerns of your employees, not just the ones in senior management.

You know what rolls downhill...

Current Employee - Editor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wonderful colleagues--attracts the best talent! Great benefits-- I'll stay a while to keep them. The management supports doing your work well and will never encourage cutting corners or being lazy-- in my case, that I can edit my heart out. Lovely books. Great place to be if you're upper management.

Cons

Managers are out of touch with what their employees do, so are surprised when employees are over-worked. Work-life balance is poor; 20% of my division works to or past 9pm at least once a week. Though raises happen every year, they're are minimal even with a promotion until you get an offer from another house; then you're worth quite a bit more to them. Senior management is paid very well, and are happy up there, so they have a hard time believing how poor morale is in the rest of the company. They don't take suggestions for improving things, and tend to place the blame back on the lower-level employees.

This used to be a great company, but now morale is lower than I've seen it in all my years here and I see us losing talent, both employees and authors. Listen to employees, create an environment where they can speak to upper management freely without fear of reprisal; try to make a more egalitarian workplace that values the voices even from the bottom. If you work with your employees rather than separate yourselves from them, this could be a best-in-class company once again.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very slow, laid back atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Hachette Book Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very easy work, seems like most employees are under worked
    Fun company functions and events
    Friendly managers and executives

Cons

Not great opportunity for advancement
    Too slow and boring sometimes
    Low pay

N/a

Company in need of a makeover

I have been working at Hachette Book Group

Pros

The people are really friendly, good benefits and vacation time as well as great books.

Cons

There is a lot of lack of communication. HBG is a lot of chiefs and not enough Indians, all upper management and little to no mid level or lower level employees. Most departments are heavily under staffed while managers sit in meetings all day. Promotions and salary increases are nonexistent for lower level employees but if your upper management sure here's more money. The company consistently boost about retaining talent but they aren't willing to promote and grow their employees to retain the talent. There has been a huge turnover rate with more and more people leaving everyday. When I first started here I was really happy because of the work environment but nice coworkers only go so far and with all this low moral it's just not a good place anymore.

Used to be a better place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time

Pros

Free books, nice coworkers, interesting projects, good benefits
    Management makes an effort to create a collegial environment

Cons

Keep in mind this may differ depending on which department you working. That said, this company seems to have too much upper level management and many middle mangers with not enough real experience or training. There is an overvaluing of what technology and "metrics" can do, with little common sense on how to apply them and a tendency to underestimate the time or resources needed to take on big projects. The end result is a chaotic environment where the work is piled on and no one really knows how to get it done or who has what responsibility for what. It's likely some of this could be attributed to changes in the industry, but one would think that good leadership could help mediate it.

I've heard it's a great place to be an intern and it certainly does seem like the interns get a lot of mentoring and attention, so if you are starting out, it might be a good place to start. If you have experience I think you would quickly lose patience.

Allocate some resources to solving problems that already exist.

A good place to work if you have muscles!

Current Employee - Bulk Storage  in  Lebanon, IN
    Current Employee - Bulk Storage in Lebanon, IN

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

you get plenty of exercise

Cons

It is an amazing place to work

Be strong

Good people, no growth opportunities.

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time

Pros

People are great. Free books

Cons

No growth; low pay, even by publishing standards. Lack of communication. Opinions are not valued.

Listen to employees more.

Current Employee - Publicity Manager
    Current Employee - Publicity Manager

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, offers flexible work environment, positive employees

Cons

Slow to promote, little-to-know training for upper management, top-heavy

Stuck in the '90s

Former Employee - Lead  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Lead in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Hachette Book Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing ever changes, which can be good if you like that kind of thing. Some overtime available depending on what shift you work. If you're just general labor, there isn't much stress involved. Cheap healthcare, decent benefits.

Cons

You get promoted by staying with the company. Even if you are a complete failure, in 10-15 years you will be running a department, and, once there, you will never be demoted or terminated. There are a ton of salaried individuals who do not belong in the positions they hold. Supervisors will guard their knowledge as if their lives depended on it, so don't expect anyone to take you under their wing and teach you about the company. Leads have no responsibility and are not trusted to do anything but watch temps pretend to work. Everything is done a certain way "because that's the way it's been done for 17 years". New ideas are shot down. You will never move up the ladder. Depressing place to work. Typical $10-11 per hour warehouse job.

I don't even know where to begin.

Worked for Hachette Book Group? Contribute to the Community!