Hachette Book Group

Hachette Book Group Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
59 reviews filtered by

1. Good Company

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They go above an beyond to generally make you happy

Cons

Not many options if you find yourself in difficult situations with senior management

Rough Waters, Leaking Ship

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time

Pros

Employees are personable and friendly. A large amount of vacation. The week between Christmas and New Years off. Summer Hours.

Cons

Hachette is going through major transitions currently (2013/2014). Leadership seems to be lacking during these rough times and the company doesn't seem to be able to keep/value talented employees any longer.

3. Not that great

I worked at Hachette Book Group

Pros

Good benefits; yoga at work.

Cons

Almost zero management and the atmosphere is very political. However, that is common in many places. What I found intolerable was that for a company with so many huge authors and brands, it is very backwards when it comes to digital culture, promotion, ebooks, and well, the 21st Century, in general.

Advice to Management

Hire some new blood.

Positive internship experience

Current Intern - Editorial in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Editorial in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the only publishing internship I have done (I interned in the editorial department at one of the publishers), but from what I hear from other interns, this is one of the better paid internships in the industry, with both HR and the individual departments being serious about giving interns a broad overview of the various aspects of the publishing business, as well as fairly in-depth look into whatever department you happen to be working in. While there is no avoiding the occasional menial task, interns are taken seriously and entrusted with important work. People here are generally friendly and upbeat, and always willing to take the time to talk to interns. By and large the more you put into the internship - being proactive about meeting people and getting work - the more you can get out of it.
    Many former interns get hired here, but getting a job seems to be largely a matter of timing - being available when something opens up.

Cons

Right now the atmosphere is slightly tense, with recent layoffs and the move to new offices. Everyone is doing their best to counteract the negative effects of the Amazon dispute, but it remains a source of some tension. Perhaps because everyone is preoccupied with such concerns, interns occasionally find themselves with nothing to do. These are minor complaints, however.

Advice to Management

This is a great internship program, keep it going!

Great people who really care about the authors

I worked at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting and exciting authors to work with, also very innovative marketing. Benefits are excellent. They offer a mentoring program for newbies entering the industry.

Cons

Very low salary and tough to move into other departments. Very understaffed and except a lot of overtime without compensation.

top heavy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent products, smart and interesting colleagues, great benefits.

Cons

Seems like senior vice presidents with vague titles are being added every other week, but support staff for getting the work done is constantly being cut. More work than ever for fewer people. Sadistic managers, no help from HR with conflicts. The boss is always right. New offices will be open plan with no space to put our work-in-progress or - God forbid! - books. You are paid for a 35-hour week, but everyone I know regularly works much more than that.

Advice to Management

Respect mid-level employees. They are probably as committed to the company as you are, and they get the work done. Avoid top-down edicts, whether policy changes or criticism of employees - your people are smart, talented, dedicated - give them a chance to express themselves and listen to them!

8. Great company in transition--new CEO, changing market

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic office culture (lots of outings, opportunities to know people in other departments, many opportunities to celebrate the books and authors we publish), great people (I love my coworkers!), the best books. I do appreciate that upper management is open to hearing feedback from all levels, even if change is slow to come. It does (and can) come with time. It can be difficult to advance within the company, but it's possible.

Cons

Very tight on headcount--leads to overworked staff, difficult work-life balance. Low salaries at mid and lower levels.

Advice to Management

Make sure your valued employees are properly compensated according to industry standards. If headcount needs to be tights, then in some cases, standards need to be lowered, and less oversight is necessary. Give your employees more freedom/power to do their jobs well.

9. Great Publishing House

Current Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Love Summer Fridays
    Great company culture

Cons

Little growth potential
    Compensation for EAs and Assistant Editors is laughable for NYC living

Closed Minded Leaders with Zero Creativity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The house still attracts great authors and illustrators.... for now. The adult imprints continue to impress me.

Cons

The three people in charge of LBYR are uninspired, micro-managers. They take credit for everything the staff below them does -- especially in public announcements - to a shameless extent. They overwork the staff and show little regard for innovative ideas. There is no strategy behind the organization of the list. The marketing department is continuously watered down and overhauled because management won't stop meddling in it. Editors aren't allowed to have private correspondence with agents - and they are leaving at an alarming rate. The reprint department is in absolute shambles. The meetings in general are uptight and unpleasant. Only two opinions matter... ever.

Advice to Management

The CEO of the company needs to take a serious look at the top three running the children's group. He clearly doesn't care how junior staff is suffering. Maybe he will care when our numbers start suffering... which has already started happening. It's an awful shame.

11. Great company with a relaxed atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed dress code, opportunity to learn and grow, great co-workers, and fun company functions when I was there. Overall, I think it was the best job I ever had

Cons

Pay was low and some senior managers / directors were a nightmare to work with. Sometimes it took for ever to get a raise. And there was some high turnover in some departments, but for the most part, people were in it for the long haul.