Hachette Book Group Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Great company with a relaxed atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed dress code, opportunity to learn and grow, great co-workers, and fun company functions when I was there. Overall, I think it was the best job I ever had

Cons

Pay was low and some senior managers / directors were a nightmare to work with. Sometimes it took for ever to get a raise. And there was some high turnover in some departments, but for the most part, people were in it for the long haul.

For the most part, my tenure was frustrating due to a lack of managerial abilities

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The collegial atmosphere is the best part of HBG

Cons

Upper management is clueless about what employees really want.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees tell you is important, not what you want to be important.

You know what rolls downhill...

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful colleagues--attracts the best talent! Great benefits-- I'll stay a while to keep them. The management supports doing your work well and will never encourage cutting corners or being lazy-- in my case, that I can edit my heart out. Lovely books. Great place to be if you're upper management.

Cons

Managers are out of touch with what their employees do, so are surprised when employees are over-worked. Work-life balance is poor; 20% of my division works to or past 9pm at least once a week. Though raises happen every year, they're are minimal even with a promotion until you get an offer from another house; then you're worth quite a bit more to them. Senior management is paid very well, and are happy up there, so they have a hard time believing how poor morale is in the rest of the company. They don't take suggestions for improving things, and tend to place the blame back on the lower-level employees.

Advice to Management

This used to be a great company, but now morale is lower than I've seen it in all my years here and I see us losing talent, both employees and authors. Listen to employees, create an environment where they can speak to upper management freely without fear of reprisal; try to make a more egalitarian workplace that values the voices even from the bottom. If you work with your employees rather than separate yourselves from them, this could be a best-in-class company once again.

5. Relaxed corporate culture, dedicated staff.

I worked at Hachette Book Group full-time

Pros

Good work life balance programs. Friendly colleagues. Good product.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities to management

6. Overall, a good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, interesting and stimulating projects/work, fun atmosphere and many company events, good perks (free books!) and benefits including 401k matching, charitable donation matching, a decent amount of vacation time, and a good health plan

Cons

Some departments have good managers and lots of growth opportunities, but some unlucky departments have the opposite. Wages are on the low end, even for publishing. Work can be either very slow or very stressful—there is no in-between.

Advice to Management

Don't be so comfortable with the status quo—take seriously the concerns of your employees, not just the ones in senior management.

Company in need of a makeover

I have been working at Hachette Book Group

Pros

The people are really friendly, good benefits and vacation time as well as great books.

Cons

There is a lot of lack of communication. HBG is a lot of chiefs and not enough Indians, all upper management and little to no mid level or lower level employees. Most departments are heavily under staffed while managers sit in meetings all day. Promotions and salary increases are nonexistent for lower level employees but if your upper management sure here's more money. The company consistently boost about retaining talent but they aren't willing to promote and grow their employees to retain the talent. There has been a huge turnover rate with more and more people leaving everyday. When I first started here I was really happy because of the work environment but nice coworkers only go so far and with all this low moral it's just not a good place anymore.

Used to be a better place to work

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time

Pros

Free books, nice coworkers, interesting projects, good benefits Management makes an effort to create a collegial environment

Cons

Keep in mind this may differ depending on which department you working. That said, this company seems to have too much upper level management and many middle mangers with not enough real experience or training. There is an overvaluing of what technology and "metrics" can do, with little common sense on how to apply them and a tendency to underestimate the time or resources needed to take on big projects. The end result is a chaotic environment where the work is piled on and no one really knows how to get it done or who has what responsibility for what. It's likely some of this could be attributed to changes in the industry, but one would think that good leadership could help mediate it. I've heard it's a great place to be an intern and it certainly does seem like the interns get a lot of mentoring and attention, so if you are starting out, it might be a good place to start. If you have experience I think you would quickly lose patience.

Advice to Management

Allocate some resources to solving problems that already exist.

Good people, no growth opportunities.

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time

Pros

People are great. Free books

Cons

No growth; low pay, even by publishing standards. Lack of communication. Opinions are not valued.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more.

10. A good place to work if you have muscles!

Current Employee - Bulk Storage in Lebanon, IN
    Current Employee - Bulk Storage in Lebanon, IN

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

you get plenty of exercise

Cons

It is an amazing place to work

Advice to Management

Be strong

11. -

Current Employee - Publicity Manager
    Current Employee - Publicity Manager

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, offers flexible work environment, positive employees

Cons

Slow to promote, little-to-know training for upper management, top-heavy

RSS Feed </> Embed