Hachette Book Group

3.3

David Young

Wonderful learning experience!

I worked at Hachette Book Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great environment to cultivate fresh talent, nice co-workers and supervisors who are passionate about their craft and the book world, great guidance, open-door policy, summer-hours and all the free books one could ever want. Very organized internship program that gives you detailed insight on all the jobs and functions of a publishing house and how they work together.

Cons

Communication between departments working together on some projects could be better.

A great publishing house! The best publishing house in NYC.

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, great benefits! The best publishing house in NYC.

Cons

Publishing doesn't pay well enough

Such a wonderful community to work with!

Current Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As long as you take the initiative, there are so many people that are willing to meet with you and help out with your intern experience. I learned so much!

Cons

Big turn over rate in some departments, little chance for advancement in others

Continue to engage employees - like the CEO inbox

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Current Employee - Senior Editor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits, fantastic vacation, good 401k

Cons

Comunication between departments leaves something to be desired

Grow talent

I am very satisfied here and always look forward to coming to work; no two days are the same.

I have been working at Hachette Book Group

Pros

There is always a great fostering of a team/family mentality. The company offers many opportunities for coworkers from different departments to come together and get to know one another, for instance an annual company picnic, pool tournaments, and softball and volleyball teams. The vacation and benefits package are great and give employees plenty of opportunity to refresh themselves to be even better workers and not burn out. Coworkers are great, and the majority are supportive and eager to help.

Cons

Often, there are issues communicating with other departments because one doesn't really understand what the other does and what they need to accomplish their tasks. Sometimes upper management's goals are implemented without much discussion with the people who will actually be responsible for making them happen.

Find a way for departments that work closely on a regular basis to come to a better understanding of each other's needs so that each can be productive. Fully understand what all your employees are capable of doing and how much they are capable of handling; communicate with everyone on every level.

It's a dead end; my exceptional work is under-recognized, under-appreciated, and under-rewarded.

I have been working at Hachette Book Group

Pros

Good benefits package; very central location; a few of the books and authors are interesting; most colleagues are polite, and only a few are obnoxious.

Cons

Mediocre talent and skill among the colleagues, especially many of the managers, who either don't recognize talent among the staff or are threatened by it. Either way, it's extremely unlikely that you'll advance, unless you work in the Editorial Dept., and even then it will probably take many years unless you're a publisher's favorite. Rave performance reviews mean nothing; they do not translate into advancement or significant raises. There are not enough offices as opposed to cubicles. Some of the infrastructure, like shipping and printing/faxing facilities and practices are poorly designed and malfunction often.

Think initiatives through before enacting revolutionary changes. Upper management generally goes off half cocked and leaves the staff to scramble to clean up the messes they create. Managers should also be less business-conventional in their thinking and less like caricatures from a sitcom. More common sense would be very welcome.

Horrible. Employees are Mistreated by both Management and their peers. This is not a good place to be.

I worked at Hachette Book Group

Pros

Free books, Good Coffee and great IT Support

Cons

Management is Unfair and Arrogant. HR is absolutely clueless. They swear that this is a great place to work, when in truth, it is the least popular publisher to be employed with. the hours are long, the employees are very unhappy. Mostly because the management is unfair and there are limited opportunities for advancement.

Put more stock into the abilities of your employees and try your best to get their feedback and really listen to it. Not everyone is perfect.

Great opportunity to learn about all aspects of book publishing and gain experience.

Former Employee - Sales Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Hachette Book Group

Pros

Paid. Informational talks from various departments were very helpful.

Cons

Lots of entry level positions, but not much moving up within the company.

So So

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Hachette Book Group

Pros

Its awesome to work in Manhattan and so close to grand central, especially if you use the metro north. You get all the free books you want. Believe me, after I was done with that place I could barely fit all the books in my bookshelf. People in HR are awesome and plan the greatest meetings for interns during the summer. You learn a lot about the publishing world and how it works.

Cons

I never felt comfortable there. My manager wasnt the best person to say the least. My work wasnt that important and meaningful and i really had a bad time there.

Get new intern managers!

Great Company

I worked at Hachette Book Group

Pros

Great management, benefits are wonderful, I really enjoyed all of the other staff as well. HOnestly, just a great place to work.

Cons

Sometimes the work could be pretty tedious, and boring. Some of the divisions have a "snooty" feel to them, with the publishers avoiding contact with "lesser folk".

Listen to your underlings - there are tons of great ideas floating around, but too often you close them off and dont listen.

Worked for Hachette Book Group? Contribute to the Community!