Hachette Book Group

David Young

Great company

Senior Editor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits, fantastic vacation, good 401k

ConsComunication between departments leaves something to be desired

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow talent

Such a wonderful community to work with!

Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAs long as you take the initiative, there are so many people that are willing to meet with you and help out with your intern experience. I learned so much!

ConsBig turn over rate in some departments, little chance for advancement in others

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to engage employees - like the CEO inbox

I am very satisfied here and always look forward to coming to work; no two days are the same.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere is always a great fostering of a team/family mentality. The company offers many opportunities for coworkers from different departments to come together and get to know one another, for instance an annual company picnic, pool tournaments, and softball and volleyball teams. The vacation and benefits package are great and give employees plenty of opportunity to refresh themselves to be even better workers and not burn out. Coworkers are great, and the majority are supportive and eager to help.

ConsOften, there are issues communicating with other departments because one doesn't really understand what the other does and what they need to accomplish their tasks. Sometimes upper management's goals are implemented without much discussion with the people who will actually be responsible for making them happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way for departments that work closely on a regular basis to come to a better understanding of each other's needs so that each can be productive. Fully understand what all your employees are capable of doing and how much they are capable of handling; communicate with everyone on every level.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a dead end; my exceptional work is under-recognized, under-appreciated, and under-rewarded.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood benefits package; very central location; a few of the books and authors are interesting; most colleagues are polite, and only a few are obnoxious.

ConsMediocre talent and skill among the colleagues, especially many of the managers, who either don't recognize talent among the staff or are threatened by it. Either way, it's extremely unlikely that you'll advance, unless you work in the Editorial Dept., and even then it will probably take many years unless you're a publisher's favorite. Rave performance reviews mean nothing; they do not translate into advancement or significant raises. There are not enough offices as opposed to cubicles. Some of the infrastructure, like shipping and printing/faxing facilities and practices are poorly designed and malfunction often.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink initiatives through before enacting revolutionary changes. Upper management generally goes off half cocked and leaves the staff to scramble to clean up the messes they create. Managers should also be less business-conventional in their thinking and less like caricatures from a sitcom. More common sense would be very welcome.

Horrible. Employees are Mistreated by both Management and their peers. This is not a good place to be.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFree books, Good Coffee and great IT Support

ConsManagement is Unfair and Arrogant. HR is absolutely clueless. They swear that this is a great place to work, when in truth, it is the least popular publisher to be employed with. the hours are long, the employees are very unhappy. Mostly because the management is unfair and there are limited opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more stock into the abilities of your employees and try your best to get their feedback and really listen to it. Not everyone is perfect.

Great opportunity to learn about all aspects of book publishing and gain experience.

Sales Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPaid. Informational talks from various departments were very helpful.

ConsLots of entry level positions, but not much moving up within the company.

So So

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIts awesome to work in Manhattan and so close to grand central, especially if you use the metro north. You get all the free books you want. Believe me, after I was done with that place I could barely fit all the books in my bookshelf. People in HR are awesome and plan the greatest meetings for interns during the summer. You learn a lot about the publishing world and how it works.

ConsI never felt comfortable there. My manager wasnt the best person to say the least. My work wasnt that important and meaningful and i really had a bad time there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new intern managers!

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat management, benefits are wonderful, I really enjoyed all of the other staff as well. HOnestly, just a great place to work.

ConsSometimes the work could be pretty tedious, and boring. Some of the divisions have a "snooty" feel to them, with the publishers avoiding contact with "lesser folk".

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your underlings - there are tons of great ideas floating around, but too often you close them off and dont listen.

admin role

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat office. Fun people. Comfortable atmosphere. benefits and perks great.

Consgrowth opportunities are rare. pay is on lower end of scale. dress code. flex time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure.

Great Place to Work

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat people, great environment, creative, fun. Most peple who worked where I did had been there for over 10 years.

ConsCorporate, sometimes felt like the smallest drop in the bucket, which I was in a company that is as alrge as HBG.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuery your employees when you have a problem or are changing policies-they know how the buiness is running, and will be honest.

Worked for Hachette Book Group? Contribute to the Community!