Hackensack University Medical Center

Robert C. Garrett

Research volunteer

Former Employee - Research Volunteer  in  Hackensack, NJ
    Former Employee - Research Volunteer in Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Hackensack University Medical Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Enriching laboratory research experience.
    Free Parking.
    Subsidized meals.

Cons

Demands more work hours than regular volunteer hours.

Not what it used to be!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse BSN  in  Hackensack, NJ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse BSN in Hackensack, NJ

I have been working at Hackensack University Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great salary and benefits Great support from co-workers.

Cons

Poor upper level management. They will not train their own nurses in another specialty. Not loyal to long time employees. The trend has been outsourcing of departments and numerous layoffs!!!! Job security for a job well done is a thing of the past at HUMC.

Bring some humanity back into your facility. Stop disposing of great employees and needed services to further your own agenda!

All they care about is their image but treats employees horribly

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Hackensack, NJ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Hackensack, NJ

Pros

Great salary and benefits. MAGNET Institution.

Cons

They don't care about their employees. They pay great but they overwork you. I fear for my license and my job security. Worked here for 11 years and now is never the same as it was since the management changed. I must say, as you become more senior and get paid more, be very careful because as soon as they find something against you, they wouldn't think twice about firing you. And definitely good for their budget because they will easily replace you with a fresh graduate with of course a lot less to pay hourly. Oh and I forgot to mention, they are GREEDY. They accept all patients then if entire hospital beds are full, they will put patients on the hallways. And oftentimes, patients are transferred from ER to a hallway and guess what, a SURPRISE for them that they don't have a room and claims that they weren't informed. I wonder if other hospitals do that? If they could put patients on top of each other, believe me they would. All they care about is MONEY. A very hectic shift everytime and you have to get out on time or else, you will be subjected to a disciplinary action. But then in the meantime if you forget to chart something, you will be in trouble. Hopefully, not to the point of losing your license.

Stop being GREEDY with money and your image and start treating your employees right. If it weren't for the dedicated employees you have, you wouldn't achieve the most coveted MAGNET status. And show respect to the senior employees instead of treating them garbage that you are all ready to dispose of after all their dedication to the medical center for a very long time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No job security, treat older employees horrible.

I worked at Hackensack University Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent benefits, use to be a great place to work prior to present Administration

Cons

Upper management treat employees horrible, they think they can do what ever they want and Human Resources backs them. They have created a culture of back stabbers.

Start treating the people who do a good job with respect. You need to listen to how staff really feels about you and how they are treated.

RN at HUMC

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Hackensack, NJ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Hackensack, NJ

I have been working at Hackensack University Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits, pay, hours and promotions

Cons

Managers supervising medical staff and have no clinical background.

Have medical background if supervising medical staff

No job security

I have been working at Hackensack University Medical Center

Pros

Benefits, tuition reimbursement, great colleagues.

Cons

Too many "initiatives", no parking on site.

Stable, growing company but employee satisfaction needs a lot of work. Image over people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hackensack, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hackensack, NJ

Pros

Good pay and decent benefits, great reputation in healthcare. Mostly good peers to work with. Not closely or overly micromanaged.

Cons

There are programs/incentives for 'employee satisfaction' on a corporate level but on a human level they could care less. Very bureaucratic. Managers are far removed and you end up with people who can't/haven't/don't know how to the job telling you how best to do it. When people aren't doing their job properly instead of being reprimanded, the work is pushed to someone who performs better and the underachievers continue to do less. Pay is based on job title alone and not merit or performance. Benefits/perks dwindle every year. No room for advancement for non-clinical employees- when a higher paying job become available they downgrade the title and pay so they can higher new staff at a cheaper rate. New duties are added with ZERO training for them... I could go on...

Actually LISTEN to your employees and make some changes based on real input- not just fake interest by putting on all the pomp and circumstance for employee forums and then just disregarding what is suggested and never acting upon any of it. Ask the people actually DOING the job how to do it best. Treat people as individuals rather than making everything black and white. Give merit raises and stop taking away benefits & 'tightening your belt'. Allot more money to pay for good performers instead of good landscaping.

Insufficient, ineffective support and orientation for new hires.

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk  in  Hackensack, NJ
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Hackensack University Medical Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the people are great, I found nearly all those with whom I interacted to be very professional; as I stated support for new hires is sorely lacking

Cons

Inadequate training and support for new hires.

Be more in tune with the needs of new hires, given the chance and adequate initial support they can become great employees: don't be so quick to dismiss them,

Terrible benefits, time off, sick time, vacation all lumped together

Current Employee - Mental Health Technician  in  Montclair, NJ
    Current Employee - Mental Health Technician in Montclair, NJ

I have been working at Hackensack University Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good coworkers, flexible schedules, managers won't micro manage you

Cons

Bad health insurance, bad hr department, needs more staff to patient ratios, over worked

Management can be disconnected from workers. Workers do not feel as if they are appreciated.

Working at Hackensack Medical has it's highs and lows.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hackensack, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Hackensack University Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Salaries are pretty good.

Cons

There are many bullies working here. The culture is not what you know but who you know. Some directors/managers border on unethical behavior. They are big on reengineering - no one is safe.

Worked for Hackensack University Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!