HackerAgency

Updated December 4, 2014
2.2

HackerAgency President/CEO Spyro Kourtis
Spyro Kourtis

Pros
  • I enjoyed the free snacks, nice view (in 8 reviews)

• The office is nice and I appreciate perks and personality of the company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a huge challenge at HG (in 8 reviews)

• 2: Management: Account Management sucks big time (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard work, smart people, big clients and more...

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best group of coworkers you could ask for.
    Sharp people who want to do great work for their clients.
    Great downtown location.
    Opportunities or career growth.
    Big clients.

Cons

The legacy of some bitter employees still haunts the hallways.

It's already been said.

This place is a joke...stay away

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at HackerAgency

Pros

Umm...hard to say....discounted bus passes, free soda pop and snacks...

Cons

Where to start...top management says one thing then completely does another. The CEO is a joke, and thinks he knows what is going on, but doesn't have a clue except how to get money at the expense of discouraging over half of the employees. There is no accountability at the top. They will give themselves huge bonuses and pad their bank accounts at the expense of the staff employees. The pay system does nothing to motivate employees when they can't control the profits they are supposedly paid on. Expressing concerns to your manager only gets you put on the "hit list". This is only a place to work for a decent salary for 6-9 months then get out before you go on the bonus plan and risk over half your salary on the account team who don't care about profits...that makes sense...NOT!

Grab a clue, admit your culture is what it is: revenue focused and that you don't care about the employees.

Sometimes a silver lining just doesn't exist...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

Office location in downtown Seattle is great.
    Company events are fun and are great ways to distract employees from the poor results of quarterly bonuses.
    Some co-workers have great personalities and are decent people. They are people I'd like to have a drink with outside work.
    Compensation is competitive for some job roles.

Cons

Some co-workers have atrocious personalities and can't be trusted. I wouldn't want to share a table with them during dinner.
    Compensation is not competitive for some job roles, especially if you calculate wages on a per-hour basis.
    Promotions and management roles are not based on merit, but more on seniority. You'll move up the ladder as long as you stick around long enough, but you'll never get to the top rung.

Take a step back and start comparing yourself to other successful companies, rather than just comparing yourself to the Hacker of 10+ years ago. Learn how to hire talent that are productive and capable. Your best producers are jumping ship and you'll soon be supported by only the weakest links.

Great agency to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with talented people, including top management
    Great salary and benefits
    Wonderful clients who appreciate what we do and share their enthusiasm
    Excellent downtown location and beautiful office environment

Cons

Dealing with winers and complainers gets old fast. You can easily spot them as they spend their days gossiping and complaining about everything, particularly about the long hours. Stop complaining and you might actually get your work done and go home at a decent hour, but I don't think they are bright enough to figure this out. If it's so awful here why don't they do everyone a favor and find a job elsewhere - I am assuming they can't get as good a job as they have here, nor the money, so they keep hanging on. Time to do yourself and the rest of us a favor and move on to another agency - any agency but here.

Senior Management should continue to do what they are presently doing as it is working well in changing the agency in a very positive manner. We have brought on some major new clients that employees are excited to work on their campaigns. Keep cleaning house as many of us appreciate it - I mean MANY - employees talk about the changes. Some are skeptical at first but then we have started to see the new ideas implemented and people are jazzed about it. The complainers are starting to move on, but not fast enough. Get rid of them, as their grumbling doesn't inspire anyone. Keep up the good work - your employees value and appreciate your efforts!

Such potential at this agency

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly employees who are creative, enthusiastic and fun to work with. Good surroundings in downtown Seattle with better-than-average benefits (including free food). Nice casual atmosphere. Like working with some really talented individuals in every department. Opportunity to work with great clients and learn direct and digital marketing.

Cons

Short deadlines that lead to short tempers. Career advancement can get stalled out. Work-life balance is challenging, although senior management indicates changes are happening (have seen two new changes implemented last week, so there is hope.) There is a lot of great talent here just waiting to be allowed to contribute – nurture them, don't lose them.

Recognize the valuable and deserving employees that are right in front of you. Break down the barriers between Account Management and Ops and Creative. Get these departments to really engage with each other to improve the overall experience here (other agencies have figured this out, why not us?) Too many leaders who don’t lead, but rather nod their head in agreement to everything the executives suggest. Dig deep and find out who are the real leaders here and then champion them to tackle some of the culture issues and show the others how to lead. Allow more opportunities to the younger, more junior talent. Put an end to the endless micro-management here, as there is nothing positive about it in any manner. This good agency has such potential to be a great agency and I want to still be here when it happens - but don't wait too long.

Where there's smoke, there's fire!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the free snacks, nice view. Excitement and energy of working in downtown Seattle.

Cons

Wow, where do i start?
    1. Pay For Performance Incentive Program: outdated, inconsistent and volatile pay program. What's unfortunate is that it is based on a percentage so even if you bust your butt (like i do everyday) the slacker next to me gets the same percentage! Fair? NO.

As an hourly employee, that same bonus percentage is based on my hourly rate. Again, overtime is NOT used as part of that calculation. Fair? NO. I smell a wage and hour lawsuit happening.

2. Culture: Fear and Intimidation. It started with the Hackers, and continues to this day with the current CEO. Trickles throughout the senior leadership team and down to all employees who suffer the brunt.

3. Management: There are a few who really care, have skills and want to make a difference. Build a better company, but then.....well, see #2.

4. Reputation: Do you work in Account Management? Creative? Ask any recruiter, creative agency or professional about Hacker and their work/employment reputation. They can't keep people because of the rude, condescending, illegal behavior.

Stop "encouraging" employees to write positive reviews on Glassdoor. Asking them to deluge the site for 1 day looks stupid.

Effective, courageous companies with true values and best-in-class business practices don't need to pepper their employees with "Hey, why don't you go out to *****and write a nice review about us?" They know who and what they are, and stick to it. They don't need to suck up and force employees to do anything. What's worse is it looks even MORE STUPID when it's done all on ONE DAY.

Advice to senior management: Just walk away. Stop ruining what COULD be a decent company, and ruining employee morale.

wow. So desperate for glassdoor good review. Wow

I worked at HackerAgency full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great view, Free Snacks, Some interesting people. They have some pro level people who know how to write good reviews on glassdoor. Good job for hiding the actual truth.

Cons

I don't know where to start. There are so many things wrong about this company
    #1: PFP- This is basically nothing but gambling half of your salary. If the company does good but then you will get more but if it does bad then you are screwed. It's basically interest free money to the company. Well done hacker screwing up your hard working employee
    #2: Management: Account Management sucks big time. Yes you just sucks
    #3 Culture of Fear: The whole company is running under culture of fear.
    #4 Customers are always top of the list which is great but employees are always bottom of the list which sucks.

PLEASE AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ANY COST.

Nothing. Just quit

PFP - a ridiculous salary structure - unless you're the CEO

I have been working at HackerAgency

Pros

My mother always taught me to say something nice about any given situation.
    There are some great people at Hacker. And, the office is located in the heart of downtown Seattle.

Cons

PFP is a complex, bonus structure that had its day when Hacker was a smaller company and an employee could actually see and feel the impact of their efforts on the bottom line. Today, as a 200+ employee group, it feels more management is enabled to gamble with 50% of my salary. Management's explanation of how the quarterly "profitability" is derived is delivered in a a smoke and mirrors PPT deck.

Give your people real salaries and get rid of PFP!
    Employees deserve merit raises and bonuses.

Proud to work here

Current Employee - Account Management
    Current Employee - Account Management

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers who are passionate about their work. Offers career growth and compensation rewards in return for hard work. Big name account roster. Hard driving culture. Opportunity to learn direct at a company of experts.

Cons

It is sad to read these pages. I am proud to work here. I have never understood why people who are not happy make the choice to stay but complain anonymously. That is the biggest con. Work life balance is a huge challenge at HG.

Clean house.

Dreaded going in to work each day

I worked at HackerAgency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free snacks. Downtown location is great. Some really cool, smart and talented individuals - some of whom I miss. Did I mention snacks?

Cons

Ever had that pit in your stomach going to a job you despised? I had that at Hacker. Too much work. Too much stress. Too many tears, and not just from me. It was a normal thing to see people cry at the office. Not enough help - even when you ask for it over and over again. Account Management and Directors are treated like Gods, so I assure you any of the recent positive reviews are written by them and only in attempts to combat the other 98% of negative reviews.

The pay structure is ridiculous.... low base salary and then the other half of it gets taxed at over 30% - which also puts you into a higher tax bracket. And you can't rely on the PFP being good or great every quarter. 401k takes a hit too, as it's only based on that low salary.

Do not believe the hype if you interview here and get hired on. It's simply not true.

Be transparent. Be honest. Be respectful. Listen to your employees when they come to you with issues, problems and sometimes tears. Recognize that the poor perception of the company is real, and that you can't change it by asking a few higher ups or account people to leave a positive review on here. Read these reviews and take them to heart... they mean something and they matter. Break down the walls that exist between departments and treat everyone like they are vital to the agency (because they are) - not just the Account Management. The reviews will shift internally and in the ad/marketing world when the company actually wants to figure out why people are unhappy and DO something about it! Until then, many/most of the employees there will go to work with that same pit in their stomach that I used to have and just slap a fake smile on. Now that it's over.... I feel a great weight lifted.

HackerAgency Photos

A big "Hello" from our Seattle-based HackerAgency leadership team!
HackerAgency welcomes our summer interns!

+ Add Photo