HackerAgency Reviews

Reset
2.5
HackerAgency President/CEO Spyro Kourtis
Spyro Kourtis

Pros
  • Great view, Free Snacks, Some interesting people (in 8 reviews)

• There are some great people at Hacker (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance doesn't exist (in 8 reviews)

• Reputation: Do you work in Account Management (in 9 reviews)

Happy People Don't Leave Reviews on Glassdoor...

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In comparison to other agencies I've worked at, this is just different "problems" not more problems, and depending on how you look at it, this agency is actually really tame when it comes to the tension between account and project and creative teams. It's one of the most collaborative agencies I've worked for, and I think it's worth a closer look before you decide based on negative reviews from disgruntled workers. Those of us who do like it here, are too busy living a good, balanced, rewarding life to spend time leaving glowing reviews. I just thought I would step up to let people know that: Happy People Don't Leave Reviews on Glassdoor.

This agency is in transition (adapting to changes in the industry to be ahead of the curve). This means opportunities for growth are numerous, but you have to be the type of person to step up and claim those opportunities. Don't ask for permission; just start doing it and once they see it can be done, it is needed, it's you doing it, they are great about appropriate recognition/job change/compensation for those people.

Cons

The agency doesn't provide a good continuous learning environment (they put on a show that they do, or they think they are, but it's really the wild west here for ongoing development and even just to learn the job you are doing today). Employees who aren't extremely adaptable (a necessary skill in the world today), will be frustrated with this about Hacker. If you're looking to be Steady-Eddie, this isn't the place for you. If you're looking to be continuously growing, learning, developing (though mostly self-guided), you'll thrive here. That type of employee is highly supported, nurtured, and promoted here. The good side of this is managers/peers don't hold you back, fearing you'll jeopardize their job security. If you shine, you'll be supported to advance.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to better communicate to middle/lower level mgt: we know you understand our role in where the industry is headed (vision) and how we need to adapt to stay relevant (strategy), but you need to translate that into terms your managers can understand (tactical) and continue to communicate and support it. This is a shortcoming of HackerAgency.

Challenging work, improving employee morale!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, savvy, creative people.
    Range of clients in many verticals... telecom, healthcare, finance etc...
    Transportation benefits!
    Telecommuting opportunities.
    Free snacks & beverages.
    Good compensation, NO MORE PFP!
    PlayGroup... fun inter-office activities with prizes!
    Growth opportunities if you pursue them.

Cons

Challenging clients... but that's anywhere you go.
    Heavy on internal processes, but encouraged to eliminate process where applicable.
    Healthcare season gets busy and sometimes requires later hours. But if you work late company buys you dinner! ;) PRO!

Advice to Management

Keep working on engaging employees.
    Keep doing fun stuff to balance the not-so-fun stuff.

3. Good place

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food
    Good location in downtown Seattle
    Very good pay - they eliminated PFP which was smart move by senior management

Cons

Long hours when busy. And it's busy, busy, busy, busy.
    Company is still trying to figure out work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing in good people. And don't forget those already here.

Weird Culture - great people

I worked at HackerAgency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The actual people who work at Hacker are super and very social atmosphere

Cons

Upper Management cultivates a culture where if you make any type of mistake will be the biggest deal and have error meetings to point figures to who's fault that error is
    Account driven agency where whatever they say goes and hard to change

Bleh.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are great people at this company. There is plenty of free food and a open keg on Fridays. They are working toward letting employees work from home, depending on position. Compensation in some jobs is good.

Cons

This is a very difficult place to work. Some months are soul crushing. The gridlock between old and new culture is suffocating. Ego is rewarded and promoted above all else. Upper management can't get on the same page and they push blame to the lowest "worker bee".

Advice to Management

In general, you have hired bright people. Trust them and let them work. Ego should not be your main promotion focus.

HackerAgency Response

Apr 9, 2015VP Talent

Thanks for your comment. We have been moving towards more and more digital work. This definitely presents some challenges in terms of culture. We worked on our core values and rolled it out to the ... More

Toxic Culture and Management

I have been working at HackerAgency

Pros

Nice location. There's not many pro's to this company.

Cons

• Leadership style is the most de-motivating leadership I have ever experienced, overt micromanaging.
    • Big in the “blame game”. Finger pointing is the norm. Management is indecisive and then turns to place blame on their team.
    • Many lack formal business experience and this is apparent in the day to day operations. They make up the process and rules as they see fit for the particular day. There is no consistency, lack of best practices.
    • Atrocious personalities, combined with extreme inappropriate behavior, discrimination and intimidation that would qualify as abusive/bullying on many levels.
    • Fear and Intimidation are the norm. Those with titles didn’t earn them and haven’t realized that tactics like these only drive people away.
    • Employee turnover is extremely high, half leave within the first year and a half.
    • Change for this company/organization is not possible.
    • Read the other reviews. There is a great deal of truth in the reviews.
    • Yes, the company did ask employees to write positive reviews.

Advice to Management

Executive management is more concerned his reputation/brand than the employees
    After 20+ years, I doubt management is interested in advice.

Not the worst, but certainly not the best

I worked at HackerAgency

Pros

Great people, nice office, good snacks.

Cons

Horrible work life balance. You will work like a slave in this place

Advice to Management

Find a better balance.

Moving in the right direction

I have been working at HackerAgency

Pros

From a business prospective the company is focused on the right things. I have learned a lot about marketing and there is a lot of career growth opportunity here.

Cons

Need to get better alignment between the departments and managers.

Advice to Management

Focus on both clients and staff.

This place is a joke...stay away

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at HackerAgency

Pros

Umm...hard to say....discounted bus passes, free soda pop and snacks...

Cons

Where to start...top management says one thing then completely does another. The CEO is a joke, and thinks he knows what is going on, but doesn't have a clue except how to get money at the expense of discouraging over half of the employees. There is no accountability at the top. They will give themselves huge bonuses and pad their bank accounts at the expense of the staff employees. The pay system does nothing to motivate employees when they can't control the profits they are supposedly paid on. Expressing concerns to your manager only gets you put on the "hit list". This is only a place to work for a decent salary for 6-9 months then get out before you go on the bonus plan and risk over half your salary on the account team who don't care about profits...that makes sense...NOT!

Advice to Management

Grab a clue, admit your culture is what it is: revenue focused and that you don't care about the employees.

HackerAgency Response

Apr 9, 2015VP Talent

Your primarily concern seems to be based on the compensation plan. I am glad to let you know that the Pay for Performance plan (aka PFP) has been “killed” and that individuals who were on the plan ... More

Sometimes a silver lining just doesn't exist...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

Office location in downtown Seattle is great.
    Company events are fun and are great ways to distract employees from the poor results of quarterly bonuses.
    Some co-workers have great personalities and are decent people. They are people I'd like to have a drink with outside work.
    Compensation is competitive for some job roles.

Cons

Some co-workers have atrocious personalities and can't be trusted. I wouldn't want to share a table with them during dinner.
    Compensation is not competitive for some job roles, especially if you calculate wages on a per-hour basis.
    Promotions and management roles are not based on merit, but more on seniority. You'll move up the ladder as long as you stick around long enough, but you'll never get to the top rung.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and start comparing yourself to other successful companies, rather than just comparing yourself to the Hacker of 10+ years ago. Learn how to hire talent that are productive and capable. Your best producers are jumping ship and you'll soon be supported by only the weakest links.

RSS Feed </> Embed