HackerAgency Reviews

Reset
2.5
HackerAgency President/CEO Spyro Kourtis
Spyro Kourtis

Pros
  • Great view, Free Snacks, Some interesting people (in 8 reviews)

• There are some great people at Hacker (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance doesn't exist (in 8 reviews)

• Reputation: Do you work in Account Management (in 9 reviews)

1. Work hard play hard mentality

Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a bad place to work if you have the energy and stamina to think, eat, breath Hacker. Decent pay, vacation, and company events.

Cons

Long hours and few breaks in the day.

Truly a joke

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at HackerAgency

Pros

Nothing - there is nothing redeeming about this company. The culture is completely toxic and relies on fear to motivate.

Cons

Everything. The president is an absolute joke and this company provides no value to its clients. I spent two years being a party to the whims of senior management. I was told at the beginning this place is a "meat grinder." Why did I take so long to believe it?

Advice to Management

Just retire - you're all dinosaurs.

Happy People Don't Leave Reviews on Glassdoor...

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In comparison to other agencies I've worked at, this is just different "problems" not more problems, and depending on how you look at it, this agency is actually really tame when it comes to the tension between account and project and creative teams. It's one of the most collaborative agencies I've worked for, and I think it's worth a closer look before you decide based on negative reviews from disgruntled workers. Those of us who do like it here, are too busy living a good, balanced, rewarding life to spend time leaving glowing reviews. I just thought I would step up to let people know that: Happy People Don't Leave Reviews on Glassdoor. This agency is in transition (adapting to changes in the industry to be ahead of the curve). This means opportunities for growth are numerous, but you have to be the type of person to step up and claim those opportunities. Don't ask for permission; just start doing it and once they see it can be done, it is needed, it's you doing it, they are great about appropriate recognition/job change/compensation for those people.

Cons

The agency doesn't provide a good continuous learning environment (they put on a show that they do, or they think they are, but it's really the wild west here for ongoing development and even just to learn the job you are doing today). Employees who aren't extremely adaptable (a necessary skill in the world today), will be frustrated with this about Hacker. If you're looking to be Steady-Eddie, this isn't the place for you. If you're looking to be continuously growing, learning, developing (though mostly self-guided), you'll thrive here. That type of employee is highly supported, nurtured, and promoted here. The good side of this is managers/peers don't hold you back, fearing you'll jeopardize their job security. If you shine, you'll be supported to advance.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to better communicate to middle/lower level mgt: we know you understand our role in where the industry is headed (vision) and how we need to adapt to stay relevant (strategy), but you need to translate that into terms your managers can understand (tactical) and continue to communicate and support it. This is a shortcoming of HackerAgency.

Challenging work, improving employee morale!

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, savvy, creative people. Range of clients in many verticals... telecom, healthcare, finance etc... Transportation benefits! Telecommuting opportunities. Free snacks & beverages. Good compensation, NO MORE PFP! PlayGroup... fun inter-office activities with prizes! Growth opportunities if you pursue them.

Cons

Challenging clients... but that's anywhere you go. Heavy on internal processes, but encouraged to eliminate process where applicable. Healthcare season gets busy and sometimes requires later hours. But if you work late company buys you dinner! ;) PRO!

Advice to Management

Keep working on engaging employees. Keep doing fun stuff to balance the not-so-fun stuff.

Bleh.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are great people at this company. There is plenty of free food and a open keg on Fridays. They are working toward letting employees work from home, depending on position. Compensation in some jobs is good.

Cons

This is a very difficult place to work. Some months are soul crushing. The gridlock between old and new culture is suffocating. Ego is rewarded and promoted above all else. Upper management can't get on the same page and they push blame to the lowest "worker bee".

Advice to Management

In general, you have hired bright people. Trust them and let them work. Ego should not be your main promotion focus.

HackerAgency Response

Apr 9, 2015 – VP Talent

Thanks for your comment. We have been moving towards more and more digital work. This definitely presents some challenges in terms of culture. We worked on our core values and rolled it out to the ... More

This place is a joke...stay away

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at HackerAgency

Pros

Umm...hard to say....discounted bus passes, free soda pop and snacks...

Cons

Where to start...top management says one thing then completely does another. The CEO is a joke, and thinks he knows what is going on, but doesn't have a clue except how to get money at the expense of discouraging over half of the employees. There is no accountability at the top. They will give themselves huge bonuses and pad their bank accounts at the expense of the staff employees. The pay system does nothing to motivate employees when they can't control the profits they are supposedly paid on. Expressing concerns to your manager only gets you put on the "hit list". This is only a place to work for a decent salary for 6-9 months then get out before you go on the bonus plan and risk over half your salary on the account team who don't care about profits...that makes sense...NOT!

Advice to Management

Grab a clue, admit your culture is what it is: revenue focused and that you don't care about the employees.

HackerAgency Response

Apr 9, 2015 – VP Talent

Your primarily concern seems to be based on the compensation plan. I am glad to let you know that the Pay for Performance plan (aka PFP) has been “killed” and that individuals who were on the plan ... More

Sometimes a silver lining just doesn't exist...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

Office location in downtown Seattle is great. Company events are fun and are great ways to distract employees from the poor results of quarterly bonuses. Some co-workers have great personalities and are decent people. They are people I'd like to have a drink with outside work. Compensation is competitive for some job roles.

Cons

Some co-workers have atrocious personalities and can't be trusted. I wouldn't want to share a table with them during dinner. Compensation is not competitive for some job roles, especially if you calculate wages on a per-hour basis. Promotions and management roles are not based on merit, but more on seniority. You'll move up the ladder as long as you stick around long enough, but you'll never get to the top rung.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and start comparing yourself to other successful companies, rather than just comparing yourself to the Hacker of 10+ years ago. Learn how to hire talent that are productive and capable. Your best producers are jumping ship and you'll soon be supported by only the weakest links.

Great agency to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with talented people, including top management Great salary and benefits Wonderful clients who appreciate what we do and share their enthusiasm Excellent downtown location and beautiful office environment

Cons

Dealing with winers and complainers gets old fast. You can easily spot them as they spend their days gossiping and complaining about everything, particularly about the long hours. Stop complaining and you might actually get your work done and go home at a decent hour, but I don't think they are bright enough to figure this out. If it's so awful here why don't they do everyone a favor and find a job elsewhere - I am assuming they can't get as good a job as they have here, nor the money, so they keep hanging on. Time to do yourself and the rest of us a favor and move on to another agency - any agency but here.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should continue to do what they are presently doing as it is working well in changing the agency in a very positive manner. We have brought on some major new clients that employees are excited to work on their campaigns. Keep cleaning house as many of us appreciate it - I mean MANY - employees talk about the changes. Some are skeptical at first but then we have started to see the new ideas implemented and people are jazzed about it. The complainers are starting to move on, but not fast enough. Get rid of them, as their grumbling doesn't inspire anyone. Keep up the good work - your employees value and appreciate your efforts!

Hard work, smart people, big clients and more...

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best group of coworkers you could ask for. Sharp people who want to do great work for their clients. Great downtown location. Opportunities or career growth. Big clients.

Cons

The legacy of some bitter employees still haunts the hallways. Lots of work. Lots of work. Lots of work.

Advice to Management

It's already been said.

Where there's smoke, there's fire!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the free snacks, nice view. Excitement and energy of working in downtown Seattle.

Cons

Wow, where do i start? 1. Pay For Performance Incentive Program: outdated, inconsistent and volatile pay program. What's unfortunate is that it is based on a percentage so even if you bust your butt (like i do everyday) the slacker next to me gets the same percentage! Fair? NO. As an hourly employee, that same bonus percentage is based on my hourly rate. Again, overtime is NOT used as part of that calculation. Fair? NO. I smell a wage and hour lawsuit happening. 2. Culture: Fear and Intimidation. It started with the Hackers, and continues to this day with the current CEO. Trickles throughout the senior leadership team and down to all employees who suffer the brunt. 3. Management: There are a few who really care, have skills and want to make a difference. Build a better company, but then.....well, see #2. 4. Reputation: Do you work in Account Management? Creative? Ask any recruiter, creative agency or professional about Hacker and their work/employment reputation. They can't keep people because of the rude, condescending, illegal behavior.

Advice to Management

Stop "encouraging" employees to write positive reviews on Glassdoor. Asking them to deluge the site for 1 day looks stupid. Effective, courageous companies with true values and best-in-class business practices don't need to pepper their employees with "Hey, why don't you go out to *****and write a nice review about us?" They know who and what they are, and stick to it. They don't need to suck up and force employees to do anything. What's worse is it looks even MORE STUPID when it's done all on ONE DAY. Advice to senior management: Just walk away. Stop ruining what COULD be a decent company, and ruining employee morale.

RSS Feed </> Embed