HackerAgency

Updated December 4, 2014
2.9

HackerAgency President/CEO Spyro Kourtis
Spyro Kourtis

Pros
  • I enjoyed the free snacks, nice view (in 8 reviews)

• The office is nice and I appreciate perks and personality of the company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a huge challenge at HG (in 8 reviews)

• 2: Management: Account Management sucks big time (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

big wins = bright future

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With global new business in the tech sector, and new national accounts in the healthcare and financial verticals, Hacker is really on the rise. The people are outstanding--from entry level through the C-suite. If you judge a company by the health of the business, Hacker is the place for you. Opportunity to make things happen for yourself and the organization are everywhere--and if you grab those opportunities you can rise quickly.

Cons

Some departments could use a refresh--the increase in digital work at the expense of print work means a rapid change in how things get done, so some of the groups that are used to working a certain way need to be open to new operating procedures. This change can create some friction, but there is enough emphasis on and need for this change that they can't avoid it forever. I've been here long enough and in enough different roles to have seen the change happening. It's not always easy but it's much-needed.

Remember that the things that worked a few years ago may not tomorrow. The faster things move the more you have to trust other departments and people to make things happen.

This place is a joke...stay away

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at HackerAgency

Pros

Umm...hard to say....discounted bus passes, free soda pop and snacks...

Cons

Where to start...top management says one thing then completely does another. The CEO is a joke, and thinks he knows what is going on, but doesn't have a clue except how to get money at the expense of discouraging over half of the employees. There is no accountability at the top. They will give themselves huge bonuses and pad their bank accounts at the expense of the staff employees. The pay system does nothing to motivate employees when they can't control the profits they are supposedly paid on. Expressing concerns to your manager only gets you put on the "hit list". This is only a place to work for a decent salary for 6-9 months then get out before you go on the bonus plan and risk over half your salary on the account team who don't care about profits...that makes sense...NOT!

Grab a clue, admit your culture is what it is: revenue focused and that you don't care about the employees.

Sometimes a silver lining just doesn't exist...

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

Office location in downtown Seattle is great.
    Company events are fun and are great ways to distract employees from the poor results of quarterly bonuses.
    Some co-workers have great personalities and are decent people. They are people I'd like to have a drink with outside work.
    Compensation is competitive for some job roles.

Cons

Some co-workers have atrocious personalities and can't be trusted. I wouldn't want to share a table with them during dinner.
    Compensation is not competitive for some job roles, especially if you calculate wages on a per-hour basis.
    Promotions and management roles are not based on merit, but more on seniority. You'll move up the ladder as long as you stick around long enough, but you'll never get to the top rung.

Take a step back and start comparing yourself to other successful companies, rather than just comparing yourself to the Hacker of 10+ years ago. Learn how to hire talent that are productive and capable. Your best producers are jumping ship and you'll soon be supported by only the weakest links.

It's all coming together

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Roots in a direct marketing, emerging into digital and mobile work
    -Solid client base and loads of new business wins
    -Great location and people
    -Company leadership is truly focused on making it not just a great agency, but a great agency to work for
    -Many of the bad apples who spoiled the bunch are gone, with great new talent and capabilities gaining speed
    -Focus on where they're going, not relying on where they've been
    -Positive employee performance is greeted with positive results from management

Cons

-Some hangover from "the old days" when it was more of a factory
    -The positive momentum sometimes has to fight through the old mentalities and old grudges, but rome wasn't built in a day
    -You have to watch out for some co-workers who are always looking at the glass as half-empty (but their ranks are dwindling)

Stay dedicated to the change you've been enacting (your renewed focus on balancing family and work is great, your work from home policy is being welcomed)
    Always keep listening to employees and trusting them

Hard work, smart people, big clients and more...

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best group of coworkers you could ask for.
    Sharp people who want to do great work for their clients.
    Great downtown location.
    Opportunities or career growth.
    Big clients.

Cons

The legacy of some bitter employees still haunts the hallways.

It's already been said.

Great agency to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with talented people, including top management
    Great salary and benefits
    Wonderful clients who appreciate what we do and share their enthusiasm
    Excellent downtown location and beautiful office environment

Cons

Dealing with winers and complainers gets old fast. You can easily spot them as they spend their days gossiping and complaining about everything, particularly about the long hours. Stop complaining and you might actually get your work done and go home at a decent hour, but I don't think they are bright enough to figure this out. If it's so awful here why don't they do everyone a favor and find a job elsewhere - I am assuming they can't get as good a job as they have here, nor the money, so they keep hanging on. Time to do yourself and the rest of us a favor and move on to another agency - any agency but here.

Senior Management should continue to do what they are presently doing as it is working well in changing the agency in a very positive manner. We have brought on some major new clients that employees are excited to work on their campaigns. Keep cleaning house as many of us appreciate it - I mean MANY - employees talk about the changes. Some are skeptical at first but then we have started to see the new ideas implemented and people are jazzed about it. The complainers are starting to move on, but not fast enough. Get rid of them, as their grumbling doesn't inspire anyone. Keep up the good work - your employees value and appreciate your efforts!

Where there's smoke, there's fire!

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the free snacks, nice view. Excitement and energy of working in downtown Seattle.

Cons

Wow, where do i start?
    1. Pay For Performance Incentive Program: outdated, inconsistent and volatile pay program. What's unfortunate is that it is based on a percentage so even if you bust your butt (like i do everyday) the slacker next to me gets the same percentage! Fair? NO.

As an hourly employee, that same bonus percentage is based on my hourly rate. Again, overtime is NOT used as part of that calculation. Fair? NO. I smell a wage and hour lawsuit happening.

2. Culture: Fear and Intimidation. It started with the Hackers, and continues to this day with the current CEO. Trickles throughout the senior leadership team and down to all employees who suffer the brunt.

3. Management: There are a few who really care, have skills and want to make a difference. Build a better company, but then.....well, see #2.

4. Reputation: Do you work in Account Management? Creative? Ask any recruiter, creative agency or professional about Hacker and their work/employment reputation. They can't keep people because of the rude, condescending, illegal behavior.

Stop "encouraging" employees to write positive reviews on Glassdoor. Asking them to deluge the site for 1 day looks stupid.

Effective, courageous companies with true values and best-in-class business practices don't need to pepper their employees with "Hey, why don't you go out to *****and write a nice review about us?" They know who and what they are, and stick to it. They don't need to suck up and force employees to do anything. What's worse is it looks even MORE STUPID when it's done all on ONE DAY.

Advice to senior management: Just walk away. Stop ruining what COULD be a decent company, and ruining employee morale.

Oh my.

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent, smart people working very hard. Great view.

Cons

I report to a member of the senior leadership team and have been told by several outside HR professionals that the bon mots that come regularly out of her mouth would make an excellent workplace harassment suit. In addition to the fact that her leadership style is the most de-motivating leadership I have ever experienced, my advice to you would be avoid this place at all costs.

You will talk to recruiters when you leave this place and they will offer sympathy.

Every other post has said it and you haven't done it, so why bother. It is amazing to me that the leadership at IPG just doesn't care.

Probably the most disrespectful employer I've ever had.

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

Free food. Some amazing people.

Cons

These people would rather argue about small stuff than do just about anything else. This company is decades behind technologically. For example, project managers don't even have access to Microsoft Project. The people who are promoted tend to be the ones who are willing to do anything to get ahead. And account management makes ALL (did I say ALL?) the decisions, whether they know what they are talking about or not. Creative, innovative people are ignored or silenced. Firings happen secretively, and no one is ever notified. So you go to find someone, and they just. aren't. there. anymore. Executive management has been at Hacker for decades. And they are not particularly bright. This place is a joke.

Don't ever leave Hacker Group. Because no one else in their right mind would ever hire you.

Do not work here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at HackerAgency full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The bonus structure can be financially rewarding and the amount of PTO you get is generous.

Cons

They expect performance at an utterly grueling pace. There is no support structure and the culture is prison like. Everyone is unhappy and the upper management does not care one bit. It's an openly known fact that it's a miserable place to work and if you want to enjoy yourself you should work somewhere else. Truly the most unhappy I have ever been at a job.

Upper management would be able to do more interesting things if they could retain employees for more than a few months at a time. Manage your turnover and consider why people leave in droves.

HackerAgency Photos

A big "Hello" from our Seattle-based HackerAgency leadership team!
HackerAgency welcomes our summer interns!

+ Add Photo